Generating Job Leads - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 07-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View tintin1101's Photo Album My Photos
Default Generating Job Leads

Right now I am solely word of mouth with a few mailouts. Too many phonebooks in the area for that to be an option. I have considered mass mailing and running an ad in the local paper promoting a 15% discount on exterior thru October. I am small business with 3 employees. We stay plenty busy but I'm looking to pick up more business, expand, and hire some more employees before winter. I've mainly been working restorations and remodeling and I am interested in custom work and new construction. Any suggestions on generating new construction leads. I find cold calling to be unprofessional and prefer professional letter head and envelopes. We have a lot of surviving low ballers in the area.........look foward to your experience..........
tintin1101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
FT painter/FT dad

Rewards Points: 500
View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1101 View Post
Any suggestions on generating new construction leads.....look foward to your experience.......
Get a website if you don't already have one and also get on all the online sites like yellowpages.com, yellowbook.com, google.com, yahoo local, etc, etc, etc. Free advertising is the wave of the future. I have lower advertising costs because of this and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Ohio Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 250
View welovepainting's Photo Album My Photos

Tin, an excellent way of generating new constuctions leads are by networking. you can do this by joining different orginizations like HBA home builders association, IFMA facilities mangers association, builders exchange, BOMA building owners and managers association, theses different groups are a network of professionals involved in house building, building ownership, management, development and leasing. Features advocacy, education, conferences, and news, ... networking is far less exspensive and more effective than traditional advertising.
welovepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #4

View tintin1101's Photo Album My Photos
Default much appreciative

thanks for the networking idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovepainting View Post
Tin, an excellent way of generating new constuctions leads are by networking. you can do this by joining different orginizations like HBA home builders association, IFMA facilities mangers association, builders exchange, BOMA building owners and managers association, theses different groups are a network of professionals involved in house building, building ownership, management, development and leasing. Features advocacy, education, conferences, and news, ... networking is far less exspensive and more effective than traditional advertising.
tintin1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Freedom Maker

Rewards Points: 81
View Ethan's Photo Album My Photos

Couldn't agree more with the networking comment - BNI (business networking international) works great for our company and IFDA (international furnishings and design associatoin) as well for other ideas.

Ethan
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #6

View Orval121980's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1101 View Post
Right now I am solely word of mouth with a few mailouts. Too many phonebooks in the area for that to be an option. I have considered mass mailing and running an ad in the local paper promoting a 15% discount on exterior thru October. I am small business with 3 employees. We stay plenty busy but I'm looking to pick up more business, expand, and hire some more employees before winter. I've mainly been working restorations and remodeling and I am interested in custom work and new construction. Any suggestions on generating new construction leads. I find cold calling to be unprofessional and prefer professional letter head and envelopes. We have a lot of surviving low ballers in the area.........look foward to your experience..........
I agree with what you said about cold calling. I have had the best luck with sending a letterhead to the purchasing manager to get results from new constuction. They are the ones who pretty much hire the subs. I am sure you are familiar with what builders require but if your not they require work comp and Gen Liability up to 100,000,000. I was paying almost 1,000 a month for WComp premium .I am actually getting out of the new construction. Unless you get alot of homes it is hard to make any money. Just be prepared and try to work for a good honest builder.
Orval121980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View Painter James's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=Orval121980;3254]I agree with what you said about cold calling. I have had the best luck with sending a letterhead to the purchasing manager to get results from new constuction. quote]

I appreciate the input from all the above. Seems like the "cold calling" thing isn't the best for commercial purposes...but what if you're just trying to get into the residential sector?

Especially if you're new & don't have a bunch of contacts in the area.

At any rate, I've had a great time with flyers delivered door-to-door. My most consistent customer is a realtor that refers me to his clients, simply because I met with him while cold-calling...well, door-knocking...in his neighborhood.

Another great client is a $12k new construction paint job on a custom house. Met them by dropping off a flyer & calling card.

Thanks for the input about the purchasing manager--never thought of the hierarchy in the big wig corporations.

--James
Painting with Excellence
"Our name is our MISSION."
Charlotte, NC
Painter James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

i said it before, church bulletins, network groups are excellent advertising strategies.
timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
Systems Fanatic

View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Marketing has 2 key components-- consistency and tracking.

If you don't track your leads you can never determine your return on investment (ROI). If you don't know your ROI you can't determine if a particular marketing piece is worth doing again. Guessing and gut reactions don't work-- I've had many gut reactions that turned out to be indigestion. The numbers are never wrong (if you track them properly and know what they mean).

Giving up on something after one try is usually a big mistake. There can be many reasons why something doesn't work. Too often we give up after one try and never look deeper.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150
View NuView Painting's Photo Album My Photos

My self Im trying to get out of Sub-work from GC they keep you busy and fed thats all most of the time you dont make any profit or very little.. because theres always a cutthroat gonna under bid you..but stick to your ground on what you bid....
NuView Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #11

View Tmrrptr's Photo Album My Photos

If you find cold calling unprofessional, hire a professional salesman.

I don't care what you got,
you won't transfer it to another without a salesman.

Only 3 employees?
Sounds like a mistake to me.

Either work with a partner, and use day labor, or go big.
Comp has got to eat you up with only 3...
r
Tmrrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Rich, I'll vouch for that. The transition phase from small company is a wicked one.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #13

View Tmrrptr's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks, Ken.

Please tell us your opinion of "The E-myth Contractor," by Michael Gerber.

First time reading it, for me. It should be good for Tintin to review.

Me? I'm a technician with a prolonged entrepeneurial seizure.

You have made proper choices and done well.
r
Tmrrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
Freedom Maker

Rewards Points: 81
View Ethan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Marketing has 2 key components-- consistency and tracking.

If you don't track your leads you can never determine your return on investment (ROI). If you don't know your ROI you can't determine if a particular marketing piece is worth doing again. Guessing and gut reactions don't work-- I've had many gut reactions that turned out to be indigestion. The numbers are never wrong (if you track them properly and know what they mean).

Brian Phillips

Sorry guys if I'm bring up a dead thread, but I had a question for you Brian.

When you track ROI on your marketing campaign.

Do you track contribution to overhead and profit as your return?

Do you have a way of putting variable costs to jobs like gas, sundries, and "minor" things like that(NOT MINOR, it adds up) ...

Curious exactly how you calculate that and what you consider to be a good ROI for a marketing plan?

Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75
View Josh.08's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuView Painting View Post
My self Im trying to get out of Sub-work from GC they keep you busy and fed thats all most of the time you dont make any profit or very little.. because theres always a cutthroat gonna under bid you..but stick to your ground on what you bid....
Couldn't Agree More. I don't like the idea of working for a GC. The GC and the Painter both have to make a profit off of the same job. Not my cup of tea.
Josh.08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None