Got Lucky - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos
Default Got Lucky

We had one of our crews start on an exterior this morning (knowing we were going to get rain around lunch and for the next couple of days). Whoever put the siding up apparently didn't have the pressure set right for their nailer. Every single nail was countersunk by ~ 3/16. The two man team was only going to get started filling the nail holes.

Sure enough at lunch, it started (and hasn't stopped) raining. The client was at work when we started and called around 4p to see what kind of progress we made. Told her we got the back side pretty much filled before the rain started. Also, explained that we are pretty much at a stand still till the weather breaks.

She explained that her family was leaving town tomorrow and won't be back til sometime next week but she wanted us to paint 5 to 6 rooms when she returns. I told her I could have this crew start painting the rooms tomorrow and the weekend and she was ecstatic. Gave her some ballpark figures and she stated that she trusted us and would leave the color swatches in the appropriate rooms and email me the security code and to charge her accordingly.

The interior project will be one of the few jobs I've done this year without a signed contract. Moral of the story, even a blind squirrel can find a nut. P.S. Not really sure why I posted this, just figured I'd share a positive experience.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Cool! You never know what will come along.

I don't mean to steal your threat, but I'll quickly share a similar story from the beginning of this summer.

I came out to estimate a large exterior. Wrote the estimate on the spot. Explained how we work, what needs to be done, the whole nine yards.

HO told me she was ecstatic to have found us. She was so frustrated with the last 4 painters she called being late to the estimate, never showing up, or not explaining anything to her that after she talked to me, she just wrote me a check for the whole price on the spot BEFORE anything was signed and insisted that I take it. I told her I wouldn't until we at least sign the contract.

So, I had the job paid in full before we started working
Old 10-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #3

Cool. You are not stealing my thread just adding to it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah, I just lined up an exterior and an interior and never even wrote a bid!
One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250
View Metro M & L's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllurePainting View Post
And the homeowner is thinking "Cool I lined up an exterior and an interior and never even signed a contract!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Metro M & L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllurePainting View Post
Everything seems fine until it comes to the money part.
Business is business...you better get a contract.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (10-09-2009)
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #7

View capitalcity painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Certain areas are different. I have been in business roughly 6 years and have only about 3 signed contracts and that was because the HO wanted to. I built my house and never had a contract with any of the subs. I know I know I will get burned eventually. Just saying that alot of smaller markets still go by trust and a handshake.
capitalcity painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
Yes, I am definatly going to write it up before I do any work. I was just saying, that I obtained the jobs simply by stating what I would do, and what it would cost. Trust me, the first house that I painted, I did not write down the scope of work. It was for the house only. A few days into the work I said, your garage is peeling pretty badly, would you like that painted too? Then the HO says, you said you were going to paint that! Guess what, I painted it.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity painting View Post
Certain areas are different. I have been in business roughly 6 years and have only about 3 signed contracts and that was because the HO wanted to. I built my house and never had a contract with any of the subs. I know I know I will get burned eventually. Just saying that alot of smaller markets still go by trust and a handshake.
What area/smaller market is that?.... The Land of Oz

Just teasing ya!!!

I've been in business along time and you are the first person I have ever heard make a statement even remotely close to that.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

In the words of Hannibal Smith - "Don't ya love it when a plan comes together!"

Nice result for you Fresh

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #11

View deach's Photo Album My Photos

I've done a lot of deals on a handshake, never had a problem. Even the proposals I write up are pretty lax. Money up front= painting. Although this won't work for everyone and every customer, there's still a lot of honest folks out there just wanting to find a decent painter, that does what they say and keeps their word. At any rate good going on the interior, wish I could get one now as wet as it's been here......

deach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #12

80% + of all of our jobs are done with a signed contract. Although it should be 100%, sometimes it is not practical. This is a discipline we need to enforce better (100% signed contracts).

That being said, I can totally understand the situations deach and capitalcity explained. It's called good old fashion trust. If you are in a small town where you grew up from and everybody knows everybody, I can see where a handshake and your word are good enough.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh coat View Post
80% + of all of our jobs are done with a signed contract. Although it should be 100%, sometimes it is not practical. This is a discipline we need to enforce better (100% signed contracts).

That being said, I can totally understand the situations deach and capitalcity explained. It's called good old fashion trust. If you are in a small town where you grew up from and everybody knows everybody, I can see where a handshake and your word are good enough.
TRUE!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #14

I've actually only had two or three signed contracts in 8 years. I do have the bid with the scope of work detailed out.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #15

Have you ever got burned or wished you had a contract. Just curious. Actually, I think a written bid is a form of a "contract". Better then nothin'.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh coat View Post
Have you ever got burned or wished you had a contract. Just curious. Actually, I think a written bid is a form of a "contract". Better then nothin'.
Only once but I can assure you the clause would have been "the minute you get stupid we get paid in full and get to walk" as it was I had a proposal written up. I'm not sure I'd have had that anyway. Honestly I do a informal proposal usually so we all know what's included, any pre existing conditions and payment terms. However with me, it's more the "feel" I get at the time of that writing that dictates what goes into it. I can usually tell at the time of the estimate by the questions asked how everything else is gonna go.

Good Lawyers (should it ever come to that) can pick apart most contracts anyway. Or perhaps the person was drunk when they signed it, or taking cold medicine or whatever. If they want out of it bad enough they'll get out of it. Honestly I've never had just a handshake deal go bad. (usually they're simple repaints, and nothing really to confuse).

Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deach View Post
Only once but I can assure you the clause would have been "the minute you get stupid we get paid in full and get to walk" as it was I had a proposal written up. I'm not sure I'd have had that anyway. Honestly I do a informal proposal usually so we all know what's included, any pre existing conditions and payment terms. However with me, it's more the "feel" I get at the time of that writing that dictates what goes into it. I can usually tell at the time of the estimate by the questions asked how everything else is gonna go.

Good Lawyers (should it ever come to that) can pick apart most contracts anyway. Or perhaps the person was drunk when they signed it, or taking cold medicine or whatever. If they want out of it bad enough they'll get out of it. Honestly I've never had just a handshake deal go bad. (usually they're simple repaints, and nothing really to confuse).

That's cool and I understand where you are coming from. Are you in a small / tight community?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

In the litigious culture we live in, I would never, I repeat, never start a job for someone who was not my close family or best friend without a contract. Never!
The Following User Says Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (10-09-2009)
Old 10-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 8,617 Times in 4,014 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Always get a signed contract. Always. I have had HO's tell me they dont need one, but I explain to them it is as much for their legal benefit as it is for mine. Also you'll need it for warranties.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #20

Not necessarily that small. As I stated above There's WAY too many ways out of that contract. Although most people won't fight a "contract" that much, the ones that want to get to you will. I guess maybe I need to ask does a proposal count? It gives what Im' gonna do, the materials I'll use, coats to be applied. I do a "informal" really one of those on most jobs. I'd really hate to think I need a formal contract just to say paint a couple doors or something. I guess to each his own.

Tags
None