Hiring - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 08-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View phahn's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hiring

Hi
How are you finding quality employees?
Ones that don't come with baggage.
Ones that want to help you grow the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 520
Thanked 8,618 Times in 4,015 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Plenty of threads on hiring / employees. Use the search function. Just keep in mind that you're dealing with painters.....baggage is mandatory.
Brian C (08-30-2015), CApainter (08-30-2015), daArch (09-01-2015), journeymanPainter (08-30-2015), Lambrecht (08-29-2015), Paint medics (08-30-2015), straight_lines (08-30-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

I hired a clean cut guy. Good painter. Had a working phone and car.

He was arrested for back child support. Had a warrant I guess.

Oh well. I guess it was too good to be true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 308
Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,014 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phahn View Post
Hi

What is your starting pay?

Requirements ?

Do you have full time work to keep a painter busy?
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 03:04 AM   #5
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

I had a guy turn up for a job interview about a painting position and he had tattoos all down his arms and legs. I got nothing against that, but it doesn't suit my clean cut company image.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post

A working phone and a car....man that's like hitting the lottery
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
daArch (09-01-2015), epretot (08-30-2015), Lambrecht (08-30-2015), straight_lines (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post

Red flag right there. Has a working phone and car.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
epretot (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

in order to find quality employees one first must be a quality company, then go through about 20 guys and you should find one

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Mac For This Useful Post:
Paint medics (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 09:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,332
Thanked 9,559 Times in 5,425 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phahn View Post
Hi

Employee/contractor relationships are a two way street, and can only develop with trust.

It seems to me that a lot of ex painters who assume the title of contractor, whether they work by themselves or have a couple of helpers, suddenly find it difficult for others to meet their standards. It's as if the burden of responsibility and the fear of not demonstrating good leadership and management skills, incites theme to view others through a critical lens which often times exceeds realistic expectations. Especially, given the the labor pool available to them.

Good helpers are often times discovered as muddy little rocks that only after a good polishing, reveal the precious stone that they are.

I know, that was a little pompous. But poetic.

Last edited by CApainter; 08-30-2015 at 09:54 AM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (08-30-2015), PRC (08-30-2015), Wildbill7145 (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Employee/contractor relationships are a two way street, and can only develop with trust.

It seems to me that a lot of ex painters who assume the title of contractor, whether they work by themselves or have a couple of helpers, suddenly find it difficult for others to meet their standards. It's as if the burden of responsibility and the fear of not demonstrating good leadership and management skills, incites theme to view others through a critical lens which often times exceeds realistic expectations. Especially, given the the labor pool available to them.

Good helpers are often times discovered as muddy little rocks that only after a good polishing, reveal the precious stone that they are.

I know, that was a little pompous. But poetic.
Great point. I have high expectations regarding quality. I found that if communicated, some can meet those expectations.

For some time, I found myself frustrated with employees for performing sub standard work. After reflecting, I realized I was a poor communicator. I would say quality improved overall immediately upon this realization.

epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epretot For This Useful Post:
CApainter (08-30-2015), PRC (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 18
View Seth The Painter's Photo Album My Photos

This topic is a very tough one. In this industry I've found that your only as strong as your weakest link. I prefer hiring from within. It's really the best way to go about it. I don't hire helpers anymore I prefer hiring mechanics. When you do find quality guys treat them the way you would want to be treated.
Seth The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
RH

Rewards Points: 10,332
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

When I ran crews one of the hardest things to accomplish was getting my lead painters to understand they needed to share expectations and teach new guys the skills necessary to meet them. Having learned much of what we know through perseverance and experience, something we can't afford to give much of to new hires, too often we expect them to learn through osmosis rather than make the effort to teach. It was the guys who didn't want to learn, or felt they already knew it all (but obviously didn't), that I was pretty quick to drop.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 08-30-2015 at 10:23 AM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Gough (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 12:35 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth The Painter View Post
This topic is a very tough one. In this industry I've found that your only as strong as your weakest link. I prefer hiring from within. It's really the best way to go about it. I don't hire helpers anymore I prefer hiring mechanics. When you do find quality guys treat them the way you would want to be treated.
Interesting. It was our experience that the mechanics came with way too much baggage, particularly in the form of well-entrenched bad habits. As I've mentioned before, it worked better for us to find someone with good work habits and teach her to paint.
stelzerpaintinginc. (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 556
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
in order to find quality employees one first must be a quality company, then go through about 500 guys and you should find one

Fixed
LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Yup just volume, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #16
RH

Rewards Points: 10,332
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I hear that there are generally quality employees just waiting for a job stationed near the entrances to many mall and store parking lots. You can usually identify them by their signs and maybe dogs. Failing that, HD also occasionally has superior quality help waiting around outside.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #17
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I hear that there are generally quality employees just waiting for a job stationed near the entrances to many mall and store parking lots. You can usually identify them by their signs and maybe dogs. Failing that, HD also occasionally has superior quality help waiting around outside.
When we were down in the Inland Empire of SoCal, I saw one way of selecting more energetic employees. Drive through a HD parking lot in a U-Haul truck. Very quickly, there will be pack of potential hires chasing after the truck. By continuing on for some distance, it is possible to find the applicants with the most stamina.
RH (08-30-2015), slinger58 (08-30-2015), thamberg (09-01-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 287
View DunriteNJ's Photo Album My Photos

I have a whole hiring process

I also have a lot of work and applicants know it so i can be picky

Its trial and error and gut feeling

One thing i learned is i start guys out at a "trial" rate. If they are what they say they say they are after 2 weeks ill bump them up. Most guys go along with it.

A huge red flag- and its happened more than once- Is when a new guy asks for money within the first week hes working.

All of them never last

908-705-2999
DunriteNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DunriteNJ For This Useful Post:
Gough (08-30-2015), PRC (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 122
View Paint medics's Photo Album My Photos

Finding Quality employees is the most difficult aspect of this business. I have a couple of guys who have been with me for over 20 yrs . One almost 25 yrs and another since 1987 ,which would be 28 yrs,,lol. The rest about 2-8. Ive gone through probably 100-200 employees if not more . This generation of painters just is not as work and production motivated as the ones in the past . Kids show up with their pants below their ass for interviews like its a fashion show. In the past I had a bunch of foreign workers who were awesome ,I miss those days . Guys would work hard and long because they wanted to succeed in life . Unfortunately now a days those guys have their own businesses and are doing well .I use them as subs. I know even our local unions are soliciting new contractors to join because their pool of employees is dwindling away. I think its the lack of "brotherhood" amongst little contractors . Taking whoever ,whatever ,left over others crap with no questions asked. We are about to join the union workforce to try eliminate that factor .
I found that the best way to get guys is to get them and mold them. Set high standards , expect alot but pay well. Treat them good and sometimes be a shoulder to cry on and always talk to them like a preacher installing positive and moral ethics into their minds. You will find that this is a dog eat dog world ,but you dont have to be a part of it . You will find that you get what you put out.
The show only runs as good as its leader, but the employees are a reflection of you. Once you find them treat them as a part of your family . Finding them is an art form and more or less like playing the lotto.
Paint medics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paint medics For This Useful Post:
CApainter (08-31-2015), thamberg (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,332
Thanked 9,559 Times in 5,425 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint medics View Post
Finding Quality employees is the most difficult aspect of this business. I have a couple of guys who have been with me for over 20 yrs . One almost 25 yrs and another since 1987 ,which would be 28 yrs,,lol. The rest about 2-8. Ive gone through probably 100-200 employees if not more . This generation of painters just is not as work and production motivated as the ones in the past . Kids show up with their pants below their ass for interviews like its a fashion show. In the past I had a bunch of foreign workers who were awesome ,I miss those days . Guys would work hard and long because they wanted to succeed in life . Unfortunately now a days those guys have their own businesses and are doing well .I use them as subs. I know even our local unions are soliciting new contractors to join because their pool of employees is dwindling away. I think its the lack of "brotherhood" amongst little contractors . Taking whoever ,whatever ,left over others crap with no questions asked. We are about to join the union workforce to try eliminate that factor .
I found that the best way to get guys is to get them and mold them. Set high standards , expect alot but pay well. Treat them good and sometimes be a shoulder to cry on and always talk to them like a preacher installing positive and moral ethics into their minds. You will find that this is a dog eat dog world ,but you dont have to be a part of it . You will find that you get what you put out.
The show only runs as good as its leader, but the employees are a reflection of you. Once you find them treat them as a part of your family . Finding them is an art form and more or less like playing the lotto.
There are a lot of truths in the above quote.

The non union shops I worked for in the past, always maintained a sense of competency and integrity. And even though the painters didn't have the wage and benefit packages that the Union painters had, there was a drive to prove that we were just as good, if not better, than the Union guys.

As non Union workers, we knew we were looked down upon by Union workers. And as a consequence, there seemed to be a closer bond with my fellow painters and between the non Union contractors. In California, even the Board of Labor recognized non Union apprenticeship programs. There was a pride among the workers to actually have formal training.

And as far as preaching positive messages to employees, it does help in my opinion. But the person preaching has to be authentic and trustworthy, and also have the ability to trust their worker with responsibility in order to know that they have been listening and learning.

I worked for one such person for eleven years when I started off in painting. He lead by example. Although he was non Union, he operated his business above board and shared all of his Union trained knowledge with his employees who listened. He was a modest man, who by virtue of his conduct and behavior, helped make everyone else who worked for him a better person. It seems rare to find a mentor like that.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
George Z (08-31-2015), Gough (08-31-2015), Paint medics (09-01-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (08-31-2015)

Tags
None