How long to wait to follow up on a bid? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 03-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View paintsplater's Photo Album My Photos
Default How long to wait to follow up on a bid?

I submited a bid for an exterior job 5 days ago, when I met with the HO and gave them my bid they acted like it was a fair price. They said they wanted to talk with eachother and that they hope to get it done soon. I feel that even if im not the low bidder, that I will get the job. I have done several jobs for them in the past and there always happy. My question is, How long should I wait for them to call befor I call them. I would like to get them on my schedule asap since the weather is nice and im getting more calls. I dont want to be pushy but this is a big job and i would love to get it started and finished.

So what is a good time to wait without sounding desperate or pushy or like a salesman?
paintsplater is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Perform your follow up call and see where there head is at and let them know that jobs of this nature require scheduling.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Call them now.It's all part of doing business

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Call them within a couple of days. They should know if they are going to use you by then. If they haven't made a decision by then, it's a prime opportunity to ask what the sticking point is and see if you can help.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
314 255-2201

Rewards Points: 150
View Diversers's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with Bikerboy, a couple days.

Diversers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

I dont do follow up calls. Maybe a follow up email but no calls.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
Rcon (03-19-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
Same here.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #8

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Man communication is key. I am finding that out every bid I do. The more real you are, the better communication there is, the better it is. Seriously.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nEighter For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (01-12-2012)
Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I will usually do a follow up email a day or two after. If they are not "internet savy", I will often set a time to call back. If I don't close on visit I will try to set a time for a callback.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250
View salestrainer's Photo Album My Photos

Everyone is a salesman whether they like it or not. You are selling clients on why they should use your painting company, kids are selling their parents on why they should be able to stay out later, the preacher is selling salvation.....read a book called "sell to survive", I actually bought 12 copies for my sales team before at my last store. Those in business today who think selling is beneath them will perish!
brushmonkey (03-29-2010), nEighter (03-21-2010), y.painting (03-19-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
View BC_Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I used to rarely call either, usually I got a call back quickly one way or another.

Occasionally I'll get a customer that waits a week or more to get back to me, and if it's a large job that I was SURE I was getting, I'll start to sweat a little.

These days I straight up ask them, when I should call to see where they are at, and of course to call me with any questions or concerns. Then they're more likely to let me know if they decided otherwise, so I don't waste my time, and the more communication, the more likely they'll use you if the guy thay hired messes the job up.
BC_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Nothing wrong with calling a potential client and letting them know you want their business. I usually give them a few days to a week.
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75
View ezpaintks's Photo Album My Photos

I usually give them a few days and then email or call depending on how they like to be contacted, which is something I just flat out ask the customer.
I would agree, we are all in the business of selling our service. Some other contractors don't even contact the customer after they give a bid. I have found that when I contact them and have more "conversation" sometimes I will sell a job better than the next guy.
Getting them down on the calander is a good thing, because we can't just wait around. We have to make money!
ezpaintks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10
View Petero's Photo Album My Photos

I seldom call back, either. If I've bid out the job, the home owner will call if they want me to do it.

I prefer to control as much of the job process as possible, and that includes the owner, and being asked to do it vs me asking if I may do it keeps me on top of the game. It's all in the owner's best interest in the end anyway.

If I don't get a job I may call to find out why. If price was the issue, then I probably am better off not having got the job.
Petero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

If I have not convinced the HO on my first or second vistit that they should hire my company for their project then I doubt a follow up call will do much good. I dont ask for jobs either. I am not selling a Toyota.

I dont think making a follow up call is bad at all. We all just have our own styles which is why we work for ourselves.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
Baywoodpainting (04-05-2010), johnpaint (03-29-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
Painter

Rewards Points: 10
View absolutedecor8's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via ICQ to absolutedecor8 Send a message via Skype™ to absolutedecor8

i was told that people are lazy and have a cant be bothered attitude, so when u call them up and if they are happy with the price they will say yes instead of getting an other few quotes

absolutedecor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
314 255-2201

Rewards Points: 150
View Diversers's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
I'm just curious, what is your closing rate meaning how many bids does it take for you to close one? I thought follow-up was a standard, you telling me you dont call back at all? Just asking

Diversers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 AM   #18
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

At the same time we send a proposal, we set a follow up date on the Google Calendar.
Reminder comes 4 days later to follow up.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
PressurePros (01-12-2012)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 250
View Woody's Photo Album My Photos

I sold 8 out of 10.... I not only called back, I told them "we are getting busy "LIKE" everyone else is.. WHEN would YOU want me to START.... I'll be over this week to sign paperwork, and pick up a deposit ck.
OR they ANSWER me with a NO..either way, it's off my mind.

.....It's all good, if you say it is...just trying to be nice

Stay Frosty
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #20
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I sold 8 out of 10.... I not only called back, I told them "we are getting busy "LIKE" everyone else is.. WHEN would YOU want me to START.... I'll be over this week to sign paperwork, and pick up a deposit ck.
OR they ANSWER me with a NO..either way, it's off my mind.
A lot of people would find that level of aggressiveness uncomfortable, but I think that it is a great approach. If you want to sell a job, why pretend otherwise?

There is certainly a line between being rude/ pushy and simply asking for what we want. But if we don't ask for the job, the customer might think we really don't care. And if we aren't asking for what we want, I would argue that the customer is correct.

Brian Phillips

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None