How would you price these jobs? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View englishdave's Photo Album My Photos
Default How would you price these jobs?

I have a 3 jobs to price up that are a bit tricky, any ideas?

Job 1. interior stairwell, goes up 3 levels in a winding fashion that makes it difficult to put a ladder on it. Can be done but will be a figure out how when on the job scenario, with various ladders and a couple of scaffold planks. Also ceiling at top needs painting and popcorn finish needs a patch. Cutting in against popcorn ceiling in a hard to access area could be tricky. Also one area has heavily embossed wall paper. Owner seems mostly OK.

job2. Big old heritage house, nice part of town. Owner is older lady and seems a bit batty. Evidence that she has had renovators on the job and the job wasn't completed by them, usually a red flag. If it went well would make great before and after pics for marketing

The house has many different angles, dormers and wide soffits, Stone on the bottom, cedar shingles on the upper 2 floors and some fancy stucco between woodwork. 3 sets of steps. Windows are the old style with about 12 small panes per window. She want a 3 colour job, the house is 1912 and needs a fair bit of prep and some carpentry repairs. Nice job if it all worked out, but im thinking could go wrong if price is off or lady turns out to be a pain in the butt.

job 3. bit more straight forward. town homes 2 and half storey, just paint the front of the units. Walls and trim. Walls are stucco and painted yellow, a different shade of yellow to be applied. Trim is white and mostly plain 1x4, windows are aliminum and not to be painted. Prep is minimal, just wash it down. Owner seems OK.
englishdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,658
Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75
View HeatherP's Photo Album My Photos

"Owner is older lady and seems a bit batty. Evidence that she has had renovators on the job and the job wasn't completed by them..."

Run away as fast as you can!!!
HeatherP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherP View Post
"Owner is older lady and seems a bit batty. Evidence that she has had renovators on the job and the job wasn't completed by them..."

Run away as fast as you can!!!

haha, sounds like solid advice!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Like this.
Thanks for the link. I had a quick look and I'll have a good read later.

I understand the concept of unit pricing and overhead and profit. Of the 3 jobs I mentioned though, I think only one could be priced that way. The heritage house is way to fancy to ever price that way.

I did the stairwell job already, I told the guy it would be to hard to nail it down to an exact figure and gave him a ballpark figure. He was OK with that one and it all worked out.

I asked him if I could see other estimates he had got when we were settling the bill.

He had prices from $800 to 4200 and another company who just gave him some good brochures and references and an hourly rate of $48

We did it for 1300 and I think he got a sweet deal.

Tags
None