Insurance Risk or Revenue? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View jnigh's Photo Album My Photos
Default Insurance Risk or Revenue?

Wanted to ask all of you pc's who your insurer is? and how are you guys charged for your policies? for example.... I am insured through state farm. I carry all the general liabilities, employees, building, pre-finish shop etc. I pay monthly about $205.00 per month. However they threw a curve and now are auditing me to find out how much i paid in payroll last fiscal yr. !!!! charging per $1000 per payroll per employee !!!!!!!!! Is anyone else subjected to this scam? What pisses me off is the way the agent presented the costs of the policies initially, (when first signing up last july.) she continually talked about risk risk risk what are we (as a company) goinig to be doing.... interior, exterior etc. yada yada you know the drill. Then they audit me get my payroll figures and send me a bill for an additional $1,500 in charges for last years policies? What gives? Please chime in on this issue!
jnigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

That's a workman's comp audit and every company does it.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #3

that wouldnt make much sense either? I have a seperate coverages and policies through the state of montana. which btw they will also want more money!!! too many fingers in the pie! so your saying PP that you get audited for workmans comp. by your insurance company and the state of pennsylvania?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Laz

Rewards Points: 150
View Laz's Photo Album My Photos

I am in Wisconsin and also have State Farm for my insurance. I have a Audit from state farm as well that wants to know all the same info about payroll as the work comp audit. I'm thinking WTF! What do they need that info for.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 338
View eews's Photo Album My Photos

some ins companies base their premiums on the payroll; and they figure a certain minimum payroll for officers of a corp, even if you really don't earn that much!
other companies base premiums on gross receipts
eews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #6

Laz, Do you pay the state of Wis. as well for employee work comp? Hold on to your shorts dude! Get ready for a big let down. Thats the most backwards idea of all, is the way they charge. based on payroll? company gross receipts? none of these figures tell you how profitable a company is..... Im a small fish in a small pond and i gave these sharks 4k last year? does any of this seem right? to insure a painter! WTH! So eternally frustrating.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
Laz

Rewards Points: 150
View Laz's Photo Album My Photos

Work Comp is a state program but is handled by the insurance company. You take out a policy and pay the premiums.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos

My liability policy is based on the number of employes and their job titles. All I do is fill out a form once a year and mail it back to them. They have never looked at my books. Workers comp here in NY is based on audit of payroll and they practically give you a colonoscopy annually.
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

every year, that's how they roll
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None