Last second cancellation. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 2 Post By chrisn
  • 1 Post By RH

Old 03-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Last second cancellation.

We had a job booked for August this summer. People emailed us and said they were going to hold off for now. That happens. I found out from the carpenter we hired the home owners decided to hire a different painter who came in at a fraction of the cost.

My problem is the owners said they signed our contract and were about to mail it back to us. The next day is when they canceled. I would love to call them out on this. Since I din not have a signed contract in hand I'm S.O.L.

I hired the carpenter to do the repairs who said he was walking off the job because of what these owners did to us.

The electrician is also now backing out. The trickle down effect from canceling. I don't think they saw that coming.

I didn't ask any of the other trades to walk away. They said since we hired them for the job and not the owner they will walk away.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 7,080
Thanked 15,559 Times in 8,203 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Guess I don't see where this is a last second cancellation if it was scheduled for August. Yeah, they changed their minds just before signing and sending you the contract but that's perfectly within their rights. Sure, It may seem like a sucky move from your perspective but it happens in business. At least you have time to schedule another job for that time slot.

As for the other guys walking off, were they subs contracted through you or just recommended by you? If just recommended, leaving the job because of what happened seems a bit drastic. But if they feel they had some moral imperative for needing to do so, so be it. Doubt the HOs will have a very difficult time finding others to come in and take over.
Workaholic likes this.

Bill Watterson

Last edited by RH; 03-23-2017 at 04:43 PM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

You schedule jobs almost a half year out? I have trouble keeping a couple weeks going straight.
mukhoeb and Gymschu like this.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You schedule jobs almost a half year out? I have trouble keeping a couple weeks going straight.
We are booked already into July. Was starting to fill August.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Guess I don't see where this is a last second cancellation if it was scheduled for August. Yeah, they changed their minds just before signing and sending you the contract but that's perfectly within their rights. Sure, It may seem like a sucky move from your perspective but it happens in business. At least you have time to schedule another job for that time slot.

As for the other guys walking off, were they subs contracted through you or just recommended by you? If just recommended, leaving the job because of what happened seems a bit drastic. But if they feel they had some moral imperative for needing to do so, so be it. Doubt the HOs will have a very difficult time finding others to come in and take over.
I call it last second because of all the emails, phone calls, texts and going back to go over all work to be done. As for the other trades we usually let the ho deal with them which was this case. The sub's did choose one their own to walk away. I oy told them we had the job then told them we lost it.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

It's comes with the territory. Forget about them, it wasn't a good fit. Green pastures will fill that slot.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 228
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post

Around here (I live just south of Dave) having a tradesman walk out on a job can cause a big problem. I have had jobs delayed for long periods due to HOs not not being able to find a good contractor. Often they can find a bad contractor that does not show up.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Pete Martin the Painter; 03-24-2017 at 06:51 AM..
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 342
Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,016 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Just curious, didn't the other trades have a contract with the homeowner?

did they just break the contract and walk?

doesn't sound very professional, if you don't hire *** company we all walk

maybe i am missing something here
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
RH (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
RH

Rewards Points: 7,080
Thanked 15,559 Times in 8,203 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
Just curious, didn't the other trades have a contract with the homeowner?

did they just break the contract and walk?

doesn't sound very professional, if you don't hire *** company we all walk

maybe i am missing something here
We have done a lot of jobs over the years where other trades were also involved but we typically never even know who they are going to be until we get on site and even then only if they are there when we are. I've never heard of one walking off a job because one of the other subs may be having issues with the HO. They are too focused on doing their own work and maintaining their own schedules to make someone else's problem their own - if they even know there are any problems. For several to walk simply because one outfit didn't get the job, especially one not even scheduled until four months from now, is... amazing.
chrisn likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,406
Thanked 1,045 Times in 677 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Well if they are all like Dave and charge $100+ an hour and have worked booked out for months at a time, who cares, sheesh!!
MikeCalifornia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None