Local Newspaper - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 07-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 502
View Msargent's Photo Album My Photos
Default Local Newspaper

I have run an ad in this paper for the past 4 years with good results. I was wondering why they havent called me looking for money closed doors last thursday.
Msargent is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I haven't ran any ads in newspapers for years. Seems like thats where the lowballers are. I do the yellow pages. Shows I'm invested and believe in myself. People that pay good money call me. Would like to be all word of mouth and skip this expense but thats not likely for awhile.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #3

I assure you in my area 38 bucks a week isnt going to allow lowballers to long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I just know around my area, people with money and who want quality don't look in the newspaper. They tell me when I'm doing a job for them. Not saying ur a lowballer. Just saying how the climate is here.

Last edited by TJ Paint; 07-11-2009 at 08:01 PM..
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
I just know around my area, people with money and who want quality don't look in the newspaper. They tell me when I'm doing a job for them. Not saying ur a lowballer. Just saying how the climate is here.
Yep - I think np advertising depends on your specific community. I like to think that the ol' ladies (big part of my market) use their local np for their info. I have advertised there a couple of times (probably not enough to consider it an ad campaign) but have got zero leads. I struggle with the idea of continuing using the np as a good marketing tool.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

You are BSin yourself if you think you will have a viable "business" with word of mouth. I think that painters are the only ones who talk themselves into this false belief. you can have a job like that but never a true business. Please name for me as many businesses as you can that are doing great who only have word of mouth. Then list those that advertise and compare the success rates. The bottom line is most painters are just tight a$$e$ who don't understand that you have to spend money to make money ie.. invest in yourself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron
You are BSin yourself if you think you will have a viable "business" with word of mouth.
I agree. I don't advertise and word of mouth has kept me afloat, but 'viable' might be stretching it.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #8
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I cancelled my paper delivery a few months ago because I was reading it online (also terrible delivery service) . Wonder how many others do the same.
I just read an article somewhere that talked about how hard the newspapers have it now because everyone gets the info digitally.
I don't get the ads and flyers anymore. I have increased my online presences though.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
I cancelled my paper delivery a few months ago because I was reading it online (also terrible delivery service) . Wonder how many others do the same.
I just read an article somewhere that talked about how hard the newspapers have it now because everyone gets the info digitally.
Yes you're right Chris. Newspaper circulations are tumbling dramatically. I have a friend who owns a very large news agency. Until the last couple of years they had a dozen reporters working flat out. Now they have one reporter and the rest of them work on digital content - Mostly online internet and intranet/extranet corporate magazines.

Last edited by TooledUp; 07-12-2009 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: typo
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
You are BSin yourself if you think you will have a viable "business" with word of mouth. I think that painters are the only ones who talk themselves into this false belief. you can have a job like that but never a true business. Please name for me as many businesses as you can that are doing great who only have word of mouth. Then list those that advertise and compare the success rates. The bottom line is most painters are just tight a$$e$ who don't understand that you have to spend money to make money ie.. invest in yourself!
I think you are right on. Now days you have to prepare for next year this year, getting your name out so people know it and remember it.I got two jobs this summer just because I have a nice ad on the side of my truck.That should be the first thing you do.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post

I think word of mouth alone works fine for someone who paints part time or just a one man show. And is just looking to make a wage. But as someone who has just started out on their own and has to family to care for I could not survive on word of mouth alone.
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #12

I am now thinking about advertising in local ski magazine for 2k a year 4 issues at 500 per issue they want year commitment.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

I run a full page add once a month in the local, weekly paper. Been doing it for about 15 years.

For me, its all about branding. Lettered trucks, job signs, uniformed crew & advertising is what works. I concentrate all of my advertising in one local area and get a great response. I'm thought of as the local, go to painting contractor in that neighborhood.

Tags
None