looking for business advice! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View dana1's Photo Album My Photos
Default looking for business advice!

I have been in the painting and remodeling industry for many years, I have recently partnered with a with a friend to start a business. We have been going since Nov of last year and have stayed pretty busy for a 2 man team. He have a lot of bids out there but having a hard time landing jobs. I don't know if we are charging to much or if our area ( we live in a small town of less then 6000, but go to several different counties) is flooded with fly by night, guys who want to do the same thing. Difference is that we are insured, pay taxes have our name reg. with county and state. We are doing things as a legit business. When we put our bids out there, some say we don't charge enough and other act like we are trying to rape them, should we lower our price? we have great references and have been called back by several people we have done work for. so once again, should we lower our price a little or should we just ride the wave and see what happens?
dana1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 9,608
Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,908 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Don't lower your price, but start selling better using all those benefits of using you that you listed above. And also make sure to do follow-up calls. If they chose someone else, ask them why. While its awkward and uncomfortable to do that sometimes, who cares, you will probably never see them again anyways. but the info you gain from that question can be invaluable.
Also, try to close them on your first visit. Can't pick someone else if they already were impressed and signed by you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (02-27-2013), chrisn (02-25-2013), dana1 (02-24-2013), RH (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
King Dude

Thanked 5,038 Times in 2,864 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Ride the wave and never lower your prices only raise them. No matter what you'll never be cheaper than a fly by night unless you turn into one yourself.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
dana1 (02-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

We do plan on riding the wave, but if gets frustrating! I will start doing more call backs and asking why they decided to go with others.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,298
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana1 View Post
I have been in the painting and remodeling industry for many years, I have recently partnered with a with a friend to start a business. We have been going since Nov of last year and have stayed pretty busy for a 2 man team. He have a lot of bids out there but having a hard time landing jobs. I don't know if we are charging to much or if our area ( we live in a small town of less then 6000, but go to several different counties) is flooded with fly by night, guys who want to do the same thing. Difference is that we are insured, pay taxes have our name reg. with county and state. We are doing things as a legit business. When we put our bids out there, some say we don't charge enough and other act like we are trying to rape them, should we lower our price? we have great references and have been called back by several people we have done work for. so once again, should we lower our price a little or should we just ride the wave and see what happens?
Welcome to the free market! Sorry we can't provide you with a map or manual, and the rule book does not apply.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Business is a challenge. Partnerships are even more challenging.

Good luck.

Charging less might make you feel busier, but you might not be getting anywhere.

I don't like being a hamster.

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (02-24-2013), Delta Painting (02-27-2013), GrantsPainting (02-24-2013), Lambrecht (02-24-2013), Ultimate (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint View Post
Business is a challenge. Partnerships are even more challenging.

Good luck.

Charging less might make you feel busier, but you might not be getting anywhere.

I don't like being a hamster.

I think I have a solid partner, we work well together and have shared and split responsibilities, we have both put in 100% and have sacrificed the same amount of time and energy. We are good at what we do and are both learning the BUSINESS side of it all. It is a challenge!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,016
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I landed one of my first jobs by calling the customer back and asking if they had made a decision. My price was really fair, not hackish cheap, but not overly crazy for painting the stucco and doors, no trim. Anyways, it had been about two weeks and I had not heard back, he wanted to get at least one more bid. He had not gotten a legit bid, his contractor buddy sent a friend who told him he would fog coat the stucco for $5k no license and no insurance, the other painters did not show up after setting an appointment. I was on time, full proposal, references, etc. So I just plainly told him, why keep trying to find someone cheaper when my price is fair and fits your budget and you know I will do a good job. And I asked for the job and got it. Made me feel good.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
Bender (02-25-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,016
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana1 View Post
I think I have a solid partner, we work well together and have shared and split responsibilities, we have both put in 100% and have sacrificed the same amount of time and energy. We are good at what we do and are both learning the BUSINESS side of it all. It is a challenge!
The most important thing, don't spend what is spoken for by your suppliers and the government. When I was behind the counter, I saw way to many painters spending the money before we were paid. When quarterly taxes come around, then they are scrambling. They try to take jobs cheap just to pay the taxes and it becomes a downward spiral.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not sure on ur area?but have you ever considered subcontracting? Expanding you territory? We go an hour in every direction sometime further if asked....some guys may talk u out of subcontracting because it can be hard and a total nightmare lol....but would you rather work 7 days in a week or 4? I can paint a whole house on a Friday of my own....sub a house on a Saturday and pocket maybe not the $1000 I made on Friday but $600 on a Saturday is better than no money....right? Another thing I tell my guys....Sundays money is as green as Tuesdays...lol...right? Right....

richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
very senior member

Rewards Points: 56
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpainting View Post
I'm not sure on ur area?but have you ever considered subcontracting? Expanding you territory? We go an hour in every direction sometime further if asked....some guys may talk u out of subcontracting because it can be hard and a total nightmare lol....but would you rather work 7 days in a week or 4? I can paint a whole house on a Friday of my own....sub a house on a Saturday and pocket maybe not the $1000 I made on Friday but $600 on a Saturday is better than no money....right? Another thing I tell my guys....Sundays money is as green as Tuesdays...lol...right? Right....

wow, not sure even JP can do that
Paradigmzz (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #12

Can do what ?

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 227
View alan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
a whole house in one day? do you mean small capes? no trim just tape and spray. sorry for the hijack gosh maybe I should just work on friday and sundays
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post

a whole house in one day? do you mean small capes? no trim just tape and spray. sorry for the hijack gosh maybe I should just work on friday and sundays
I work seven days a week in summer... one guy grabs the downsouts...another shutters...one sets up ladders and planks....a couple scrape and prime...one setting up the pump..the removal guys follow behind the sprayer to back roll.....first free guy starting trimming behind the sprayer once siding is dry.... more join in on trim...once there is too many.. guys drop off and start clean up and putting the shutters and down spouts up....takes 5-10 and alot of ladders.. guys depending on the size of the home...cedar works best...alot of scraping/prepping will set you back.....I plan on making videos on this..come spring now that we have the system down pat

Now you guys can tear it apart? Lol....I can feel it coming........

Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Grants Painting

Rewards Points: 150
View GrantsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I work seven days a week in summer... one guy grabs the downsouts...another shutters...one sets up ladders and planks....a couple scrape and prime...one setting up the pump..the removal guys follow behind the sprayer to back roll.....first free guy starting trimming behind the sprayer once siding is dry.... more join in on trim...once there is too many.. guys drop off and start clean up and putting the shutters and down spouts up....takes 5-10 and alot of ladders.. guys depending on the size of the home...cedar works best...alot of scraping/prepping will set you back.....I plan on making videos on this..come spring now that we have the system down pat

Nice system. Let me know if you make that video. PS that video would help your seo a ton from what I'm told.

GrantsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantsPainting For This Useful Post:
richmondpainting (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsPainting View Post

Nice system. Let me know if you make that video. PS that video would help your seo a ton from what I'm told.
I got the idea from one of the guys on here....just to make a bunch of casual walk thru style videos....but I am looking to do a nice commercial style one also for my homepage too.....seo...it would be awesome...but I'm already really impressed with the organics I have so this will just make things better..

Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #17
very senior member

Rewards Points: 56
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

You are a very confused young man
Post 11 says

I can paint a whole house on a Friday of my own....

and now you have 10 guys on it

come on man make up the mind
1 guy(you) or a whole gaggle of guys?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Post 11 says

I was thinking the same thing. 600-1000 bucks over a half dozen to dozen employees is painful. May not have been what you meant but it is what you said.

Btw, work smarter not harder. You say you got a two year old and a wife at home? You only uave one shot to raise that child. Use your time well. Working 7 days a week is rough . Chasing commercial will only get you further away from home.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Delco, Pa

Rewards Points: 502
View scottjr's Photo Album My Photos

Btw, work smarter not harder. You say you got a two year old and a wife at home? You only uave one shot to raise that child. Use your time well. Working 7 days a week is rough . Chasing commercial will only get you further away from home.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have a 2 year old and work Monday through Friday. Very rarely will I work on Saturday. I took the day off today for some quality time with my boy.
scottjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottjr For This Useful Post:
dana1 (03-19-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Post 11 says

You see im talking about subcontracting.....its says of my own, as in a job i sold...then i take a subed house over the weekend... no way do i have enough work to paint a house a day for 9 months straight...thats why i sub alot of houses....get it now..

also the 600 would be the profit on a subbed house and 1000 would be my job...not actual numbers..just getting the point across that id rather work on a saturday for less pay then not at all....

Tags
None