Looking for some advise from my fellow experienced painters. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 08-31-2018, 10:18 PM   #1

View AtchleyPandC's Photo Album My Photos
Default Looking for some advise from my fellow experienced painters.

I just started my own business about 6 months ago started of slow but now I'm getting call for estimates. I've gone on about 12 in the past few weeks but haven't got one call back. I get along great with customers but maybe my prices are to high? I live in NJ so prices need to reflect that. Is there any tips in how I can win these estimates or tips for pricing. I know it's a sore subject but I'm just looking for a little direction. I'm gonna keep going on estimates until I get this right but looking for any advice i can yet. Thanks
AtchleyPandC is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,306
Thanked 1,038 Times in 670 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Try following up with the person after a week or so. Sometimes they haven't made up their mind or maybe its too much for them. If that's what they say, maybe you can have a second chance to lessen the scope to fit their budget.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,540
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Also, dont be afraid to ask them after the fact, how much their other quotes were. You might need to lower your prices till your more established. I charge far more now than when I first went on my own. You'll start getting better customers.

How are you getting your leads? I used to get a lot of work from craigslist, but I've found that you generally cant charge as much, but I've also gotten a lot of high dollar jobs from there too.

Also, the faster you are, the lower you can charge and still make good dough. Thats my strongpoint. I've worked for a lot of companies, and have learned some very efficient systems. I can paint way faster than most, so I can charge a little less. I actually make the most money repainting absolute dumps, cuz I can bang them out so fast. Obviously, you need to know when to to take your time, and do high end.

Also, shop around for the best paint deals. The cheaper you get the paint, the less you can charge, and win more jobs. Find that go to paint thats reasonably priced, and still works good, and give your customers the option to upgrade. Bid the jobs for a contractor grade paint for a while if you need to, then when you start getting more work, you can upgrade.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 46
View HomeDrywall&Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtchleyPandC View Post
I just started my own business about 6 months ago started of slow but now I'm getting call for estimates. I've gone on about 12 in the past few weeks but haven't got one call back. I get along great with customers but maybe my prices are to high? I live in NJ so prices need to reflect that. Is there any tips in how I can win these estimates or tips for pricing. I know it's a sore subject but I'm just looking for a little direction. I'm gonna keep going on estimates until I get this right but looking for any advice i can yet. Thanks
Agree with the others, do a follow up. Sales is all about being proactive. Ask them questions about their needs and how you can help with it. Maybe they need it done in a certain time, they're worried about something, etc. And yes, starting out you'll more than likely be working in the lower end until you build a profile. Keep it up though, you got it!
HomeDrywall&Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14
View ncnative's Photo Album My Photos

Great comments and advice from everyone.

Could be anything….but I wonder, how do you come across to your potential customers?

Do you display confidence in your posture, voice? Do you come across as trustworthy and likable? Do you listen to their needs and answer out of experience and knowledge?

Your pricing may be the issue, but assuming you have some basis for your pricing, I would look elsewhere.

As you are new, definitely work on your professionalism, from your dress, to personal grooming, to the social niceties.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"…remember, they need to trust you because you will be coming into their home, so ask an unbiased and honest friend if there is anything you need to change to make a super first impression.
ncnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 83
View jr.sr. painting's Photo Album My Photos

When you do land a job and your on the last day. Do something small like wipe down all the floors you worked on with clean water. Add a splash of murphys oil soap and a little mr clean. That does wonders for us. People love to smell cleanliness. Or maybe use their vacuum in the areas you worked. It shows you care and they will pass the word to their friends. Or maybe the most jaw dropping for the customer... bring the garbage can back from the street on garbage day. This little extra time really pays off. For what maybe 15 mins if it's a large floor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jr.sr. painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 83
View jr.sr. painting's Photo Album My Photos

Or hang hand masker plastic and green paper. People love seeing their valuables or dust magnets (dining room tables with 7 chairs around it) covered with new plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jr.sr. painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None