Losing my only account - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 11-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156
View skinne9's Photo Album My Photos
Default Losing my only account

I've been doing repaints for a military base for 4 years now and friday they tell me the painting budget is being cut! How much? I asked , they don't know. The big problem is there my only customer. They keep me and 4 of my employess busy 365, so now I don't know what to do, I have been reading all the threads on this site and joined today so any helpful suggestions would be great.
skinne9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

That is the problem with having all the eggs in one basket. No doubt you did not advertise in the past 4 years. Do you have a past client base from before the military work?
If not it might be like starting a new business, trying to build a list of contacts and a customers base.

Last edited by Workaholic; 11-22-2009 at 02:42 AM..
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
nEighter (11-22-2009), skinne9 (11-22-2009)
Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

I was in the same boat this last april. Hopefully you have the advert money, and can convert quickly into other areas. PLEASE post as much as you want. BTW welcome to PT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #4

Yep welcome to PT, use the search feature and keep on posting.
You can also go to here to post an intro.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:59 AM   #5

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I have been there, and I will never go back. It was fun while it lasted.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250
View capitalcity painting's Photo Album My Photos

Hopefully they are just cutting the budget some and not completely getting rid of you. You may want to look at ways to cut prices to help with their budget if possible. Let your guys know now that they may need to be looking for a job and if not consider a small pay cut. If they find a job then that may stop you from having to decide which ones to let go.

Even if this turns out good for you, let it be a lesson to start advertising and picking up other customers. If youve been picking up the paint yourself then you should have a good relationship with the store managers, let them know your situation. I get alot of leads from my store managers.
capitalcity painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capitalcity painting For This Useful Post:
skinne9 (11-22-2009)
Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

When I took over ny father's business he stressed one thing, don't get locked into one builder/customer. Build a broad customer base.

If I was you, I'd spend every spare dollar on advertising and marketing right now. Even if you only do low tech budget items. Don't wait.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (11-22-2009), nEighter (11-22-2009)
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I would just add that you need to get a website going asap.
Look into joining the local builders association, chamber of commerce, BIN group, anything you can do to get your name out.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #9

I will be able to advertise any suggestions on where to advertise for residential repaint type of work?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
RCP

Where are you located?
You can send out mailers, doorhangers, church bulletins, advertise in the local paper, is there a free newspaper like, Nifty Nickel, Pennysaver, etc?
Get a Facebook Business Page up.
Craigs List might work.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #11

Alton, IL St. Louis Metro. I'm going to do a couple of papers and craiglist, guess its time to take the whites off for a while.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Just a heads up...for us, this year - compared to past years - has been not too good in terms of advertising producing immediate work. We are looking at it in terms of long term returns. But, if you are going to spend a good chunk of change on advertising to generate immediate work, sales promotions work best.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
RCP

Thanks.
I think he has a chance, he has been painting professionally for a few years, he came on looking for advice, shows he is doing his research. Granted, it is a rough time to start a business.
So how about you head over to the intro thread and tell us about you?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Thanks.
I think he has a chance, he has been painting professionally for a few years, he came on looking for advice, shows he is doing his research. Granted, it is a rough time to start a business.
So how about you head over to the intro thread and tell us about you?
I agree if he lost the whole account then he has an edge over someone that lost another job and decided painting was the answer to their crisis.

He may only lose part of the account and that will at least keep some flow comming in while he regroups.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Born To Be Mild

I'd start with the local chamber of commerce. for you it's here. http://www.growthassociation.com/

Every third Wednesday they have a Business Connection meeting. Time to network.
http://www.growthassociation.com/eve...nth=12&year=20

They offer over a 1000 names of local businesses. That one he77 of a prospect list.
http://www.growthassociation.com/content.cfm?id=167

I'd join, go to the connection and meet the movers and shakers, hand out as many business cards as possible. The I'd get the members list and do a direct mailing introducing yourself as a new member and a supplier of coating solutions.

Just a quick thought.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (11-22-2009), RCP (11-22-2009), skinne9 (11-22-2009)
Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Born To Be Mild

Here are the local BNI groups:
http://bnistl.com/chapters.php

Old 11-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Bidy bang, great advice BB.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (11-22-2009)

Tags
None