Marketing Ideas? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View The Paint Bucket's Photo Album My Photos
Default Marketing Ideas?

I'm a little new to the paint business, I use adwords, facebook, I've tried service magic and only heard bad things about Groupon. If you have some ideas that could help pull some business my way it would be appreciated.
The Paint Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View MonPeintre.ca's Photo Album My Photos

Yard sign are good

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Residential and commercial painters in Montreal
MonPeintre.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

What have you done locally? Signs? Mailers? door hangers? Networking?
Lots of ideas in this section.
Post up your website and FB pages, maybe we can help you with those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

As a start up or new business referral should be your bread and butter,
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Rcon (07-07-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
SeHablaEspaņol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Network with another trades and designers (specially if you choose one designer to do all your colour consultations and pay a small fee everytime) Realtors don't work that good, make a good relationship with your paint rep (invite him to your jobsites from time to time, show him your quality and your loyalty to his store)
Depends on how good you are for New Construction painting but you can talk to a lot of local GC's.

It's funny, I made a comment about getting a BBB, I think it helps to make you look more legit, if you have a company younger than a year you can't but you can try that later.

Yellow Pages: Kinda obsolete but, I noticed that people is coming back to it, not the book but online, some people is been getting bad job experiences from cheap guys advertising at free local internet ads and their other alternative is yellow pages (others will just look on google). The more places you are online the better.

Website: If you don't have one, go get one, even if it's a free but good looking template just to start (make sure you buy your domain)

Business Cards and logo: Hire a last year Graphic Designer Student from your local university, they will do great ideas man!

Flyers, mail on rack cards.

Get shirts and have one clean and wear it even when you are going to the grocery store (I've got good feedback and one job from somebody that saw me wearing my logoed shirt at the grocery store)

Decals: Whenever you can afford a good looking ones.
><
>
AztecPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AztecPainting For This Useful Post:
Rcon (07-07-2011), RCP (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Good stuff Luis!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (07-01-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View AbsolutePaint's Photo Album My Photos

Bring doughnuts and lunch once and awhile to the crew at your local paint store.

AbsolutePaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AbsolutePaint For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (07-02-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #8

View ImAPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Job site signs

Job site signs are critical in getting your business name out there. No better way to gain credibility than to show off your work to the world.
You can usually ask your retailer for job site signs or order them through the paint manufacturers. Benjamin Moore and PPG have job site signs and other great marketing pieces you can order and they look really good.
Take a look.....www.benjaminmoore.com/marketing
ImAPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Like Workaholic said - it's all about referrals. The best way to get business is to do great work and provide a great service that people want to talk about. You'd be surprised how far something as small as putting on boot covers (or taking off your shoes) when you're entering someones home goes.

As far as advertising - forget about mailers. Nobody reads them.

Business cards, definitely. Website, a necessity. Decals, absolutely.

Not sure about yard signs. Some people don't want them in their yards and I can understand why. I personally don't use them. I just wear logo'd shirts (both work and business shirts) no matter where I go. Seems to do the trick better than any yard sign.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #10

Default Marketing

RCon, I could agree with you that websites are a necessity. No one looks at the yellow pages any more to find a painter. Everyone is online and many are using their Ipad or Smartphones to research for things online especially since with a click of a button, they can press on the phone symbol and directly dial the painter. If you don't have a website, you're strictly relying on word of mouth which could be the death sentence for many new painters who haven't yet created a customer base.

I still like yard site signs. They grab attention, especially when people take a closer look thinking it's a For Sale sign.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #11

Default Lottery instant game

I've heard other painters talk about leaving Lottery instant games with a thank you and Business reply referral card as a way of getting referrals. Idea on what to write on the card could be. "It only takes a few seconds to change your luck, can you take a few seconds to change mine? Best of luck with the rest of your renovating and feel free to call me if there's anything else I can help you with. Sincerely, xx"
Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75
View Coat It!'s Photo Album My Photos

Lots of great marketing ideas above! Also don't forget to add your business to Google Places/Maps. That way you'll have a chance of showing up when someone does a search for local painters. Good luck!

Coat It! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None