marketing oppertunity, hope it works... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 530
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default marketing oppertunity, hope it works...

My dad got in the mail today a small magazine called "dunbar life". Basically, after researching, it is a magazine meant for the area I work in and surroundings. IT goes to 10,000 homes and 2,000 businesses. The magazine features local businesses and events.

I contacted the publisher and found out that a single run (12,000 issues) with a 5"x4" ad is just shy of $400.

Considering how much I have spent on fliers to be delivered to 1/3 that amount, it seems like a real bargain. I looked in the magazine and noticed some local construction contractors I see around as well.

Thoughts?
Dunbar Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Handle with care

Rewards Points: 150
View TDTD's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar Painting
My dad got in the mail today a small magazine called "dunbar life". Basically, after researching, it is a magazine meant for the area I work in and surroundings. IT goes to 10,000 homes and 2,000 businesses. The magazine features local businesses and events.

I contacted the publisher and found out that a single run (12,000 issues) with a 5"x4" ad is just shy of $400.

Considering how much I have spent on fliers to be delivered to 1/3 that amount, it seems like a real bargain. I looked in the magazine and noticed some local construction contractors I see around as well.

Thoughts?
Go for it before your competition beats you to it! Your company name will give you ownership of the market!

The other thing to consider is networking with other contractors in your market area, (if you are comfortable with their reputation and/or image. This won't cost you anything other than maybe a coffee and a little time here and there and could lead to a whole lot more work for you and them.

Every day is an adventure...enjoy today and look forward to tomorrow!

Last edited by TDTD; 12-13-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts...
TDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

I'd call the contractors who are currently advertising in it and ask how it is working for them. I'd ask some probing questions to find out whether they are guessing or have an accurate assessment. Questions such as: how many leads has it generated, what is your closing rate, etc. Of course, they may not tell me, I will have something more solid to base a decision on.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (12-13-2010), NEPS.US (12-13-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'd call the contractors who are currently advertising in it and ask how it is working for them. I'd ask some probing questions to find out whether they are guessing or have an accurate assessment. Questions such as: how many leads has it generated, what is your closing rate, etc. Of course, they may not tell me, I will have something more solid to base a decision on.

Brian Phillips
Don't be surprised if you get very little feedback other than, "it does great". You are going to find any contractors that have little clue what their numbers are. I did it with a new publication this year and I got everything from voicemails that had a saw running in the background, to a wife that answered "hello" after she told her kids to shut the f--- up.

Don't be fooled by large distribution numbers. You can expect zero-3 calls on a first run. If you run it now til spring and probably start seeing a decent return by April. I've run tons of these types of ads in pubs and they don't do much. Explore good headline/attention grabbers and effective calls to action.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
NEPS.US (12-13-2010)

Tags
None