Mea Culpa - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos
Default Mea Culpa

Contractors, like most people, can often fall into a way of thinking that limits their perspective on a particular issue. They reach a conclusion based on their experiences or second-hand knowledge, and steadfastly hold to that conclusion. We see it all the time on PT: “The yellow pages doesn’t work” or “The BBB is a scam” or “Customers are cheap.”

Certainly we should reach conclusions based on our experiences and the information available to us. We have no other way of reaching conclusions. However, we should also recognize that sometimes our experiences and information are limited, that others have had different experiences and information. We should at least consider the information provided by others, and when appropriate, re-evaluate our previous conclusion. Indeed, this is one of the biggest benefits of PT—we can learn from others.

I bring this up because I discovered today that I was guilty of holding a conclusion that was very wrong. For a long time I have believed that Craig’s List was for cheap painters and cheap customers. So, when someone asked about advertising on CL, I sarcastically replied that it was a bad idea.

At least 2 people pointed out that CL can be used for more than just advertising to consumers, which is something that never occurred to me. My conclusion was based on limited knowledge—mostly the absurd ads that occasionally get posted on PT. But there is, and my avatar hates this expression, more than one way to skin a cat. There is more than one way to use CL.

So, while I cringe when I see others engaging in self-induced blindness, I found myself guilty of that very same transgression. Fortunately, the cure was as simple as reading and thinking.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brian For This Useful Post:
AztecPainting (10-06-2010), bikerboy (10-06-2010), RCP (10-06-2010), Roamer (10-07-2010), Wolfgang (10-06-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Estimator/Instructor

View Harry's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Contractors, like most people, can often fall into a way of thinking that limits their perspective on a particular issue. They reach a conclusion based on their experiences or second-hand knowledge, and steadfastly hold to that conclusion. We see it all the time on PT: “The yellow pages doesn’t work” or “The BBB is a scam” or “Customers are cheap.”

Certainly we should reach conclusions based on our experiences and the information available to us. We have no other way of reaching conclusions. However, we should also recognize that sometimes our experiences and information are limited, that others have had different experiences and information. We should at least consider the information provided by others, and when appropriate, re-evaluate our previous conclusion. Indeed, this is one of the biggest benefits of PT—we can learn from others.

I bring this up because I discovered today that I was guilty of holding a conclusion that was very wrong. For a long time I have believed that Craig’s List was for cheap painters and cheap customers. So, when someone asked about advertising on CL, I sarcastically replied that it was a bad idea.

At least 2 people pointed out that CL can be used for more than just advertising to consumers, which is something that never occurred to me. My conclusion was based on limited knowledge—mostly the absurd ads that occasionally get posted on PT. But there is, and my avatar hates this expression, more than one way to skin a cat. There is more than one way to use CL.

So, while I cringe when I see others engaging in self-induced blindness, I found myself guilty of that very same transgression. Fortunately, the cure was as simple as reading and thinking.

Brian Phillips
I actually hired a roofer from CL, last year. Yes, there were some doozies in the bunch but I ended up with a reputable one with great references and warranty.

Simply, it's just one more place for someone to advertise and the price is right.

I also have been renting a great office area that I found on CL.

Opinions are just that.

BTW, I have also purchased many items from EBAY, including a 54 Chevy.

Most people are good people and well, there are plenty of scams out there. My mother-in-law just had a day in court for a terrible roofer who ran a supposedly great company. She got him from the Yellow Pages
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (10-06-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Good Post Brian!

Sometimes we don't know what we don't know!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Estimator/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Good Post Brian!

Sometimes we don't know what we don't know!

Actually, we NEVER know what we don't know
Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Actually, we NEVER know what we don't know
But we do know from our experiences and should have no problem sticking to our conclusions based from this. Just because someone else has had good luck with something does not mean I need to be open minded about it when my experience was bad. I like to learn from my mistakes and I try not to make the same one twice.

Now this is different If I have no experience as in this craigslist deal. Then I will listen to what others have to say. Then reality will sit in and I will still say its a joke and won't ever consider it.

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Estimator/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPainting View Post
But we do know from our experiences and should have no problem sticking to our conclusions based from this. Just because someone else has had good luck with something does not mean I need to be open minded about it when my experience was bad. I like to learn from my mistakes and I try not to make the same one twice.

Now this is different If I have no experience as in this craigslist deal. Then I will listen to what others have to say. Then reality will sit in and I will still say its a joke and won't ever consider it.

Pat
I was just making light of what RCP typed...
The Following User Says Thank You to Harry For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (10-06-2010)

Tags
None