Mobile spray shop idea - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 530
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Mobile spray shop idea

I know lots of you guys have shops and can take stuff there to spray. Land and rent in Vancouver are both inflated. Average house price is 2 million plus, for example.
Anyway, got me thinking about the idea of a mobile spray shop. Maybe like a 16ft plus trailer and truck to tow it.

I figure vehicle insurance and upkeep is cheaper than rent. Also provides a large advertising surface, additional value to current and new clients etc

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is actually Coby, Dunbar is the community I live in!
Dunbar Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

A friend of mine does this very thing in the greater Seattle area.

http://speedydoorpainting.com/ Here is a link to his site. I still don't know how to embed a web link without showing the actual link.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
Dunbar Painting (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Any idea how much that set up cost?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos

I don't spray doors...the system seems really good and elaborate/expensive....I do spray lots of shutters tho...why not do them in the front hard? Cheaper...and faster...I'm sure there is things u couldn't spray in the front yard...but doors ehy not?

richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 170
Thanked 5,166 Times in 2,819 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

I thought about this a while back. Even to park it on a NC jobsite sometimes as well. Zoning could be a problem though.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #6

I was thinking mostly for spraying cabinet doors and the occasional front door.... At the moment I could only spray cabinets in place or if I set up a zip wall. Most people do not want to lose access to their kitchen for that long! That is why I was thinking of mobile spray booth (for those of us with out a shop)

Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

I bought some 2x4's and strapping, tarps and build my own portable spray booth if we need one, I cover the grass with a tarp and set up the rest, build it to size according to what we need, many times I just lay a tarp down in the back yard and toss plastic on what ever needs to be protected. Granted my set up can not with stand high winds but it works for us. Once they finish the remodel of my storage spot we are going to make a spray room in there. I just have to check the local laws about it.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

I imagine space would be a problem. Would also be very expensive - the trailer, the booth, fire suppression, racks, compressor, generator, sprayer etc. Plus it would need to be heated - probably with a radiant heat system of some sort.

I had an 800 square foot shop and was often cramped in there with just one or two jobs going through it - couldn't imagine trying to do it in a 100 square foot trailer.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpainting
I don't spray doors...the system seems really good and elaborate/expensive....I do spray lots of shutters tho...why not do them in the front hard? Cheaper...and faster...I'm sure there is things u couldn't spray in the front yard...but doors ehy not?
In the northwest , or as we call it the north-wet, spraying in the front yard is typically not an option.

Not sure how much the truck setup cost. Probably not cheap.

We have an outbuilding on our property, probably 10x14 that I'm currently converting to a WB spray shop. It has heat, light, water and even a toilet. Got the rack setup today, will shoot some sample doors tomorrow. Looking forward to having a little spot to spray. Could probably fit 30 cabinet doors, so good for a decent size kitchen.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 502
View Xmark's Photo Album My Photos

how about setting up a huge tent in the homeowners backyard? find a way to partition off 1/3 of it for your dry rack and use fans to off gas the dust in the spraying area. they sell collapsible type spray booths made out of 6 ml poly and steel tubes so a big tent should work. that's all i got at this hour.
Xmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds pretty cool....I always forget how territories can be so different but I still don't get how guys make good money on interior work...unless its really high end and they got money to blow..which isn't the case here... not a bad market but I've seen guys talking about they only work in million dollar neighborhoods..

richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T
A friend of mine does this very thing in the greater Seattle area.

http://speedydoorpainting.com/ Here is a link to his site. I still don't know how to embed a web link without showing the actual link.
I am amazed by that set up. How professional and convenient. It's also amazing that he can keep busy if he is just doing doors.
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post
I imagine space would be a problem. Would also be very expensive - the trailer, the booth, fire suppression, racks, compressor, generator, sprayer etc. Plus it would need to be heated - probably with a radiant heat system of some sort.

I had an 800 square foot shop and was often cramped in there with just one or two jobs going through it - couldn't imagine trying to do it in a 100 square foot trailer.
So maybe not worth trying to add this additional business.

I mean the biggest trailer I would get would be 16 to 20ft. I would not even be able to drive it and would likely have to leave it parked by my house anyway.

I just hate passing on jobs or being unconfident on where I will spray something... but I suppose that is life! Maybe I can network with a specialty cabinet sprayer and we can help each other out!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #14

I often use a room in the basement to spray Kitchen cabinets. the room is less than 200 sq feet. what you need is a spray area,a good exhaust fan and a Hafele dry rack for the doors. the biggest setback will be doing one side at a time and laying them flat on the stand. you need to spray them very close to the exhaust fan and have the dry rack as far away as possible. poly as much of the opening as possible. I usuallly have positive air flow with a furnace fan filter near the dry rack.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 27
View tmort024's Photo Album My Photos

Always thought about 1 or 2 of these or something similar. 1 to spray one to dry.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...age-69039.html

I've seen even cheaper ones at Kmart. Less than $100.
tmort024 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmort024 For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (02-26-2013), Reyes#520 (03-06-2013), Xmark (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmort024 View Post
Always thought about 1 or 2 of these or something similar. 1 to spray one to dry.

that's even better than my tent idea. i could also see that being used as a cheap alternative to a spray booth in a shop. just vent one end.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmark

that's even better than my tent idea. i could also see that being used as a cheap alternative to a spray booth in a shop. just vent one end.
Ha. Exactly! Too bad I had already rough framed one out in the shop when I was walking through Kmart and spotted one similar to this.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #18
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmark
I often use a room in the basement to spray Kitchen cabinets. the room is less than 200 sq feet. what you need is a spray area,a good exhaust fan and a Hafele dry rack for the doors. the biggest setback will be doing one side at a time and laying them flat on the stand. you need to spray them very close to the exhaust fan and have the dry rack as far away as possible. poly as much of the opening as possible. I usuallly have positive air flow with a furnace fan filter near the dry rack.
I still like to shoot them hanging. I built a bakers style rack for shooting doors flat years ago, but I like not having to wait to flip them.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
Grants Painting

Rewards Points: 150
View GrantsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmort024 View Post

I wonder if that would be stable enough to support hanging them from the framework. Has anybody tried this on this product or another?

I found this one for under 500. Its not much bigger but it has a metal frame.
http://www.elitedeals.com/10x20uncaw...hannelid=FROOG

GrantsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsPainting

I wonder if that would be stable enough to support hanging them from the framework. Has anybody tried this on this product or another?

I found this one for under 500. Its not much bigger but it has a metal frame.
http://www.elitedeals.com/10x20uncaw...hannelid=FROOG
I've never tried one out. The one you found looks pretty strong!

Tags
None