New Business Model - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View ZehCo's Photo Album My Photos
Default New Business Model

My Father sold paint for 30 years. Then started a paint sundries distribution business. I ran the rag business. (Cutting Textile seconds into rags) We sold the rag business right after NAFTA passed.
He retired 21 years ago but still ran the business as a hobby. I went back to industrial maintenance.
He is 91 and can no longer drive. I took over the business a year ago and bought him out on 1/1/16.
He serviced major commercial contractors State wide. Then just local (100 mile radius).
His Primary vendors have sales reps in place surrounding me. I can not expand much with the big boys except those who are about to tank and can't get credit, and are buying [email protected] less than cost.

I started selling my products retail to small repainters. I have access to major name brands which they prefer. I had to raise my prices to get them to try the products my contractors working 20-90 men buy by the pallet.

My Roller covers are first quality, and can hang with any similar name brand. Same for abrasives and tools. I have access to the major brands but with limited proffit margin. I turned the repainters on to the products the Big Boys use, and I turned the Big Boys on to stuff they did not think they could use. (Like using my 14 " Shedless covers on Shurlock frames when back rolling.

I am very well capitalized. MY Question?

I want to expand my retail business without selling online. My problem is getting to my market. Repainters mostly buy from the Big 3 or Big Box.

I want to buy a van and stock and sell from it. (Feed The Need!) I call it.

Before I spend 200+ hours writing a business plan I wanted to see what folks whom I would target think. I know of no other distributor that does this on a 100 mile radius.
Any suggestions or comments?
ZehCo is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #2
Troy

Rewards Points: 136
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,143 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Minimal room for expansion locally, coupled with the hurdle of slim profit margins...sounds like you may want to reconsider selling online. Even if you were to have just a few local landing pages of inventory with an order form people could fill out. There's only so many sales you can achieve pounding the streets in a van, (although I admire your motivation). Trying to keep a van stocked with everything that contractors wanted could also be problematic.

My best suggestion, for whatever it's worth, is to establish an online local presence, make sure all of your potential customers know of of your website, then possibly expand into delivering the products by van in the future if your customers agree that it would be a beneficial add-on of services in which you provide. Good Luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
SemiproJohn (02-05-2016), ZehCo (02-11-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehCo View Post
My Father sold paint for 30 years. Then started a paint sundries distribution business. I ran the rag business. (Cutting Textile seconds into rags) We sold the rag business right after NAFTA passed.
He retired 21 years ago but still ran the business as a hobby. I went back to industrial maintenance.
He is 91 and can no longer drive. I took over the business a year ago and bought him out on 1/1/16.
He serviced major commercial contractors State wide. Then just local (100 mile radius).
His Primary vendors have sales reps in place surrounding me. I can not expand much with the big boys except those who are about to tank and can't get credit, and are buying [email protected] less than cost.

I started selling my products retail to small repainters. I have access to major name brands which they prefer. I had to raise my prices to get them to try the products my contractors working 20-90 men buy by the pallet.

My Roller covers are first quality, and can hang with any similar name brand. Same for abrasives and tools. I have access to the major brands but with limited proffit margin. I turned the repainters on to the products the Big Boys use, and I turned the Big Boys on to stuff they did not think they could use. (Like using my 14 " Shedless covers on Shurlock frames when back rolling.

I want to expand my retail business without selling online. My problem is getting to my market. Repainters mostly buy from the Big 3 or Big Box.

Before I spend 200+ hours writing a business plan I wanted to see what folks whom I would target think. I know of no other distributor that does this on a 100 mile radius.
My family used to but brushes form a sales / owner guy out of his trunk lol
He would drive up to our city about 400 miles and sell out. His brushes were the This was back in the day of oil paints, no internet no Amazon.

We also were first turned onto Corona brushes from a sales guy on the road out of his car trunk as well. We were working on a job out of state and had never heard of them. Once we told out fellow painters about them guess what happened... I'd say go for it! Nothing like old fashioned service.

Last edited by thinkpainting/nick; 02-05-2016 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Grammar
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehCo View Post

Valspar has a similar business model with their Paint Drop program.

http://www.valsparprosolutions.com/

I'm not sure how successful it is. I like the concept we just don't use a lot of Valspar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 668
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos

Its totally possible! The carpentry outfits here that are a little bigger, they NEVER go to the store. They only buy from companies that deliver the stuff straight to the jobsite. Almost kinda like the SnapON truck. I think the company here is called Polar Tool. They have a van(s) driving all over the metro everyday. Delivering tools and supplies and picking up tools (nail guns compressors) to bring back to their shop for repairs. I don't know of anyone doing it for painters, but its a big deal for the carpenters.

Give out lotsa free T shirts to the worker bees. If a guy buys a new hammer from you, give em a T shirt!
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 42
Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
View driftweed's Photo Album My Photos

Delivery of sundries, even having a thorough sprayer rental/repair service would be FABULOUTH!!

I live in a metro area of 150k, trying to rent/repair a sprayer is a bitch.
driftweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

I'm an Industrial maintenance tech by trade, and spent the last 5 years of that career working on plural component spray equipment.
I have that in mind too. The repairs, not the rentals. Thanks for the idea!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Being in PO eastern NC you would have to drive a lot of miles. Where exactly are you located? I may be interested in buying from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

Kinston. Would like to meet you. Looking to break into new markets. Wilmington is on the list.

Last edited by ZehCo; 02-09-2016 at 09:17 PM..
Old 02-11-2016, 01:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 42
View MikePote's Photo Album My Photos

Obviously I have no idea what your margins or potential volume is, but you're going to have to sell a hell of a lot of sundries to cover overhead and make a decent living.

Personally I would love to have somebody drop off supplies to the site when I need them, and Im the type that would rather give my money to a local guy than a big chain, but I think unless you already have a sizable customer base you'll be fighting an uphill battle. If your business is profitable and sustaining already and you are looking to add this to that business it might not be a bad idea, but personally i would be afraid to try and grow this from the ground up.
MikePote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None