Newspaper Advertising - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Newspaper Advertising

One of my biggest leads engines was the local newspaper we had in Clermont. I know that this isn't true in all areas but I thought I would show you an ad that worked well for me and maybe others could share too?

This ad ran at a 1/4 page size and appeared weekly. I think it worked because it was attractive, had a good amount of contrast, and stated what we did in bold letters across the top.

What has worked for you?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Exactoman (08-01-2016), journeymanPainter (05-20-2014), lilpaintchic (09-20-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Systems Fanatic

View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

We have more than 12 sources for leads: yellow pages (2 different ads), customer retention, referrals, home shows, direct mail, job site signs, BBB, Service Magic, magazines, newspapers, HOA newsletters, web site, and a few I forget.

In any given month we'll get a leads from many of these sources. It seems when one source is slow, another picks up the slack. The bottom line is we get a steady flow of leads.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View Birdog's Photo Album My Photos

I have a ad in the "Yellow Book" main ad under painting,2 under pressure washing and deck staining. Lately all of my calls are asking for estimates to clean and restain decks.I'm so busy right now with painting that I can't even think about decks. I have been thinking about dropping my ad It dosen't draw enough painting estimates or jobs
Birdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150
View Brushslingers's Photo Album My Photos

I've been working with reliable remodeler instead of service magic... slow here with them but, they qualify leads and it's ALOT cheaper.
Brushslingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #5

View Kelly Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Nice looking add.... very clean
Kelly Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellstar painting View Post
Nice looking add.... very clean
Thanks. The ad worked really well for us and I think it was because it has high contrast so it really catches your eye and we told them what we do in really bold letters.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Paint to ride!

View BenPaintinTooLong's Photo Album My Photos

How may clients use the credit cards, do you find it very usefull or just a little?
BenPaintinTooLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #8

I had about 50% of my clients use credit cards. That may be a subject for another thread but I think it's very important!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
AngieM (10-30-2016)
Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Paint to ride!

View BenPaintinTooLong's Photo Album My Photos

Wow that is a lot , didn't expect that much. I saw an add for a paint contractor and he just put PayPal's logo on his add,I wonderd if he got any takers that way, guess so.
BenPaintinTooLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #10

View Kelly Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Nathan... can I reword-remake... and use your general setup?
Kelly Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #11
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos
Default ****Nathan****

I thought that may catch your eye. I am thinking of getting a 800 number, but want feedback from others who use it. The company keeps telling me that is is a good marketing tool. Is it in your opinion, because in the past when I am looking for a company to do something and see 800 I goto the next person.
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellstar painting View Post
Nathan... can I reword-remake... and use your general setup?
Um, I'd rather you just be inspired by it
Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
I thought that may catch your eye. I am thinking of getting a 800 number, but want feedback from others who use it. The company keeps telling me that is is a good marketing tool. Is it in your opinion, because in the past when I am looking for a company to do something and see 800 I goto the next person.
I had a 800 number because the area I was in was a (352) are code and a lot of my clients were in a (407) area code. I was right on the line between the two of them and I thought a 800 number would be easier. It worked well for me because we kind of came off as a big company even though we were not however I wouldn't go this way if I didn't have to.

I think people automatically think "this guy isn't local" when they see a 800 number. But who knows. I will tell you though that when I advertised in a paper that had a 352 area code as it's reader base I would always use my local number.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:34 AM   #14
House Painting Reading PA

View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

What kind of newspaper did you put it in? I am in Florida also and you know how expensive things are here. Did you put it in the Orlando main paper or a off shoot? I would imagine the Florida Times here in Jax would charge a pretty penny for that ad.
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
What kind of newspaper did you put it in? I am in Florida also and you know how expensive things are here. Did you put it in the Orlando main paper or a off shoot? I would imagine the Florida Times here in Jax would charge a pretty penny for that ad.
I never advertised in the big daily papers. It's way too expensive and I don't think the results would justify the cost.
I tried to find community newspapers that where mailed out to peoples homes once a week. The one I advertised in was a "shopper" newspaper meaning there were more ads in than stories and the few stories they did have were really bad. But for some reason it worked and it worked well.

Every area is different though and sometimes newspaper advertising just doesn't work. Val-pak was my #1 leads engine every month and I know a lot of guys who get nothing from them. One thing that sucked in my area though was Internet leads. 50% of my community was retired and it was really hard to get anyone to do anything online which sucked because I had a good website.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 10
View Bill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
One of my biggest leads engines was the local newspaper we had in Clermont. I know that this isn't true in all areas but I thought I would show you an ad that worked well for me and maybe others could share too?

This ad ran at a 1/4 page size and appeared weekly. I think it worked because it was attractive, had a good amount of contrast, and stated what we did in bold letters across the top.

What has worked for you?
Hi Nathan

Successful ads are golden. Yours is no exception.

The one thing that sticks out the most for me is your slogan" We can't make you choose between Service & Quality " It's absolutely brilliant.

I wonder what would happen if it were the head line. To me it's your unique selling position. It's what makes you special.

As a consumer, service & quality get my attention. Move me to read more. Compel me to call.

Company names like Midas imply mufflers. They are brand names. Most painting contractors are not brand names.

This means the consumer has to figure out what's in it for her. Why not put what she wants upfront? Make it easier for her to choose you.

In a competitive market this is a way to stand out. Show what makes you special. Prospects want to know.

Success begets more success. Perhaps a shift in your ad design may increase your call ratio. Ask your rep. It's easy to do. See what happens.

Bill

Peace, Love & Prosperity
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #17

View Tmrrptr's Photo Album My Photos

Excellent ad Nathan!
r
Tmrrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #18
Ohio Painting Contractor

View welovepainting's Photo Album My Photos

Heres a black and white full page ad that we are placing in a local realstate publication. I will let yall now how the results turn out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf JaworskiMagAd.pdf (645.9 KB, 193 views)
welovepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovepainting View Post
Heres a black and white full page ad that we are placing in a local realstate publication. I will let yall now how the results turn out.
So.... how did it turn out?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
Ohio Painting Contractor

View welovepainting's Photo Album My Photos

Well we do have one of the only full pagers in the book. They suckered me into a full page because they said in order to get in the book I had to out bid the half pager (compition) we are the only painter in there. We havent advertised with this company before Your New Home Magazine. http://www.bestmoves.com/cleveland.html

Spent $900 on the page just came out a few das ago. Hopefully we can land a job or two, if not no biggy I guess... good to brand and advertise anyway. I forget the stats something like 10,000 books to over 200 realestate offices and agents around are area.

welovepainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None