Painting Associations??? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
gcs

Rewards Points: 10
View gcs's Photo Album My Photos
Question Painting Associations???

Hey guys, I need to know what would be the best painting association to go through for my new business... I'm wanting to add them to my forums.

Thanks

Last edited by gcs; 09-11-2008 at 02:31 PM..
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View cole191919's Photo Album My Photos

I dont get it. Do you need to 'go with' an association to make it work?
Do you mean something like NAPP ?
cole191919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
gcs

View gcs's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, like the Napp, Im just needing some advice.

Last edited by gcs; 09-11-2008 at 06:06 PM..
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

PDCA is, IMO, the PREMIERE association for painting and decorating contractors.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
PDCA is, IMO, the PREMIERE association for painting and decorating contractors.
What about Paint Talk? We are painting and decorating contractors and we associate, sort of.

While I have some issues with PDCA, they probably are the best thing going.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

I have joined trade associations in the past with another business and found that I paid in significantly more that I received in benefits.

I checked out the PDCA site once before but they do not describe the benefits of membership on their site. You have to submit a request which I never did.

What and how exactly will the PDCA or NAPP benefit me?
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What about Paint Talk? We are painting and decorating contractors and we associate, sort of.

Brian Phillips

Brian's right, we are the best association, (at least the most entertaining). Any association is only good, if you utilize the resources offered.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
How could I not mention here first?

Quote:

Brian Phillips
No association is perfect, that's for sure. I used to have no use for PDCA, but since I have done a lot of sub work for comapnies that are in it, communications and expectations of the work is on a higher level.

What I like most about PDCA is their standards. Those alone are invaluable. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy
Any association is only good, if you utilize the resources offered.
AND give back to it by contributing to it. Like this "association"

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Wanted to bump this to get some more input.
What are other benefits to joining? I noticed in my area there is only one other member in 100 mile radius, do not see any local chapter.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #10

View electro's Photo Album My Photos

Here is an article I wrote on the value of belonging to your professional trade association.
http://www.yourcostcenter.com/Blog.a...4-7eb23d906821
I have had the honor of traveling this country giving seminars on behalf of the PDCA as well as many other trade associations. I can tell you this, the active membership of trade associations are usually the best in their business.

Sincerely,
Brian
electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #11
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Great question, and it's not uncommon to wonder "what's in it for me?"
I am the current president of the Seattle Chapter of the PDCA. I joined for the first time around 12 years ago, but didn't get very involved, attended a couple of meetings, and when the time for dues renewal came up I dropped. Did that a couple times until I realized that my business wasn't going where I wanted to go, that I didn't have all the answers, and that I didn't need to re-invent the wheel, when there's already many good people who have gone before me, done well, learned from others and are happy to share and help me grow my business. The PDCA in my experience is a great family of contractors who really care about helping eachother grow and increase the professionalism of our industry. In the last 5 years, since I plugged in again and finally started going to chapter meetings, becoming involved in the board, attending state and national conventions I have met many great people, learned a great deal about business and painting, increased my earnings by double, and perhaps the most important but least tangible asset is through association and interaction with high quality business people I have somehow increased my own self perception of value and worth so that I am more comfortable charging more as I see myself more as a professional. Sorry for the run on sentences, but it's something I believe in, as the proof's in the pudding. I understand that if there's only 1 other member in a 100 mile radius it will be harder to connect, however you could always help to start a local chapter. Vendors are great in helping, and National PDCA can be of assistance in this.
all the best,
Damon
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I attended a meeting at the Baltimore/Annapolis area chapter. Although I met a few nice people, the president made smart remarks about me working the same area as him. (not what I expected from a "Leader")

Then I found out they only meet for nine months. Seems like they want full time dues for a part time chapter. Understand that people get busy, but I don't understand the hypocrisy of wanting people to get involved, but only part time because you get busy. (one of the meetings is a fishing trip, so you only get eight real meetings)

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150
View The paint whisperer's Photo Album My Photos

Nice plugged Damon.

Personally, I would rather spend my $$ somewhere else.
If works for others, Great. Me, no thanks.
The paint whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 500
View Michigan11's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The paint whisperer View Post
Nice plugged Damon.

Personally, I would rather spend my $$ somewhere else.
If works for others, Great. Me, no thanks.
That's what I was thinking. This forum on the other hand, is
Michigan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs View Post
Hey guys, I need to know what would be the best painting association to go through for my new business... I'm wanting to add them to my forums.

Thanks
What are your "Forums"?

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

I've been a PDCA member since about 95. I have to say it's one of the best decisions I ever made. We have a very active local chapter (Schaumburg IL) & I have to say, there are some good contractors who give a lot of there time into making it work. We have good, informative meetings, seminars every so often etc. Like it's allready been said, you have to participate to get anything out of it.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

School of hard knocks . . . Great teachers. They're as patient as you are stubborn. They'll keep teaching you until you either quit or learn. Highly reccommended. Very expensive, though.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs View Post

Thanks
I would still like to know what Forums you are refering to?????

Or do you mean forms

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack View Post
School of hard knocks . . . Great teachers. They're as patient as you are stubborn. They'll keep teaching you until you either quit or learn. Highly reccommended. Very expensive, though.
that may be one of the best quotes i have herd in a long long time.
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None