Presentation, memberships, and winning bids - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos
Default Presentation, memberships, and winning bids

Hi guys,

I was wondering how some of you out there go about presenting your bids/contracts. When I first started out, I would just write up a fairly simple 1 page contract and attach a separate form with some general terms. The form was always professional looking, with our company logo and contact info and whatnot.

I've gotten into the habit of doing an on site evaluation, leaving a business card with a prospective client, then forwarding a contract via email 1 or 2 days later. I never give prices on the jobsite. Do any of you find more success in hand delivering your proposals?

After losing my last business, in no small part due to working for a GC whose trades consistently destroyed our finished work and lacking a contract that limited my liability on this issue, I wrote up a whole new contract form, which now has the general description on page 1 (including any necessary detail), followed by a 2 page (legal size) 'terms' section written in 7 point font. It does a hell of a job limiting my liabilites and protecting me from other peoples damage and other misc. issues, but i'm sure it's a turn off from the customers' perspective.

I don't charge peanuts either, so i'm looking for ways to improve my competitiveness against hacks and lowballers who don't contract themselves out of liability (probably because once they're out the door you won't be able to find them again), by showing my professionalism, and "why" a customer should choose my company over another guy who wants half of what i'm bidding.

Perception is a big part of this business. Including copies of my license and insurance documents with my contracts is one idea, and i've been looking into joining the PDCA as well. Any other ideas? The more the merrier!

Thanks

Last edited by Rcon; 12-07-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I use a folder with
Copy of License and Insurance
Page of testimonials
Estimate Comparison
Customer Survey with stamped envelope
Proposal
Finish Schedule
Product Info as needed

I usually don't do a contract on the first visit, it depends on the situation. I usually fax them later.

Good Timing, I plan to revamp mine, already adding Lead info, be curious to see what others have to add!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
Rcon (12-08-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #3
workin

Rewards Points: 250
View painting247's Photo Album My Photos

my bids are generally e-mailed or hand delivered. I'm embarrassed to say, I don't use a contract. I no, I no, am working on that. A presentation folder is impressive and professional but I'm not sure if its overkill. Does that customer really read all that stuff. Again, a great idea...I just question if it's necessary. Just my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook

A job can be where you go to work
or where you come to LIFE.
painting247 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to painting247 For This Useful Post:
capitalcity painting (12-08-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
RCP

That is a good point. I have my "bid bag" with more info, I don't give too much, only what is needed after talking to the customer.
I think a lot depends on the job size, yes it may be a bit much for a bathroom repaint!
Most of our jobs average 8-12k, so HOs tend to want a little more verification.
I think having a clear scope of work is probably the best thing you can have!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
I use a folder with
Page of testimonials
Estimate Comparison
Proposal
Finish Schedule
Product Info as needed

I usually don't do a contract on the first visit, it depends on the situation. I usually fax them later.

Good Timing, I plan to revamp mine, already adding Lead info, be curious to see what others have to add!
Thanks for linking me to the estimate comparison! I will definitley include that in my contracts from now on - great idea!!

Last edited by Rcon; 12-08-2009 at 04:37 AM..
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
workin

Rewards Points: 250
View painting247's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
I use a folder with
Page of testimonials
Estimate Comparison
Proposal
Finish Schedule
Product Info as needed

RE: Contract
Would you wait until the estimate is accepted before you present the contract when bidding a project for a general contractor?

facebook

A job can be where you go to work
or where you come to LIFE.
painting247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

I'm used to the contractor presenting me with a contract. I just submit prices, been thinking about makeing a package's like Chris.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
RCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by painting247 View Post
RE: Contract
Would you wait until the estimate is accepted before you present the contract when bidding a project for a general contractor?
Yes, many times things change between estimate/proposal and contract, especially with GCs! Some GCs have their own contracts. The GCs we do repeat work with, we do one contract on the first job and do not do one again.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I can't upload our Contract because it is too big.
E-mail me if you want a copy [email protected]

premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None