Random People Wandering Around - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By Betheweb
  • 3 Post By Fman
  • 3 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By jennifertemple
  • 2 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 2 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith
  • 1 Post By EveryDay

Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 210
View Betheweb's Photo Album My Photos
Default Random People Wandering Around

I dunno about you guys, but I kind of want to understand the family I'm working for. Who is family? Who's a friend? Who's a roommate? Who lives there? Who needs access to what? Who is going to pay me? Who's opinion matters?

If it's a husband and wife, that's usually pretty straightforward. But I'm in a very liberal area and sometimes I show up to a job and there are 3 men and a kid there. I'm so scared I am going to say something very embarrassing. Or maybe just waste a bunch of time talking to somebody who is irrelevant. It's very distracting. But there is no good way to ask, "I guess you're gay? Which one is your gay lover?" I dunno. My current strategy is a combination of googling them and looking at their family photos. I try to play private investigator and figure it out on the sly. Sure, I should probably just paint and not think about it, but I can't help myself.
Gymschu and CindyinRI like this.
Betheweb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Betheweb For This Useful Post:
CindyinRI (04-03-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 416
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betheweb View Post
I dunno about you guys, but I kind of want to understand the family I'm working for. Who is family? Who's a friend? Who's a roommate? Who lives there? Who needs access to what? Who is going to pay me? Who's opinion matters?

If it's a husband and wife, that's usually pretty straightforward. But I'm in a very liberal area and sometimes I show up to a job and there are 3 men and a kid there. I'm so scared I am going to say something very embarrassing. Or maybe just waste a bunch of time talking to somebody who is irrelevant. It's very distracting. But there is no good way to ask, "I guess you're gay? Which one is your gay lover?" I dunno. My current strategy is a combination of googling them and looking at their family photos. I try to play private investigator and figure it out on the sly. Sure, I should probably just paint and not think about it, but I can't help myself.

I see it a little different. I remind myself (as a professional) that I am there to do a job, and not to get involved in personal matters. It keeps me from caring very much about what other people do in their own homes.

Can't you just ask who you should be talking to about payment, and job details, etc...?

Last edited by Holland; 03-20-2019 at 11:22 PM..
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Holland For This Useful Post:
CApainter (03-21-2019), jennifertemple (03-21-2019), PremierPaintingMa (03-22-2019), Wildbill7145 (03-22-2019), Wolfgang (03-23-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 746
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Yikes...I understand your concern about who is calling the shots and who is going to pay you but, "who's on top" is not generally covered in the contract or in the initial walk through of the job.
CApainter (03-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 9,794
Thanked 15,313 Times in 8,010 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like an ideal situation for a contract to be in place.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 210
View Betheweb's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah. It's not mission critical. But there are a lot of little things that come up. Or just for schmoozing purposes.

Is this dude watching me because he's paying me a lot of money out of his family budget or is he just waiting for the other dude to put his socks on?

Is this dude talking to me about possibly painting the kitchen because he's an important decision maker or is he a wishful-thinking tenant?

Should I hold the door open for this dude and let him right in or should I leave him on the porch and tell my customer that he's here?
Betheweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,386
Thanked 4,685 Times in 3,153 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Hell i thought this was a thread about Home Depot!

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,055
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
Yikes...I understand your concern about who is calling the shots and who is going to pay you but, "who's on top" is not generally covered in the contract or in the initial walk through of the job.
The person that signed is the person responsible to pay, seems simple enough to me.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,488
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Just say "So who's who here?"
Wildbill7145 and Betheweb like this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
Betheweb (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,228
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Just say "So who's who here?"
But not if you're in Indiana.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 506
Thanked 4,443 Times in 2,436 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Generally, I really only care about who the person was that I talked to when I got the job and who's writing the cheque. Not really concerned about anyone else, unless they're in my way and then I go back to person number one and rectify that.
Fman likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 893
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I agree. You've obviously already talked business/signed a contract with someone..Or you wouldn't be there painting.. Unless your an employee, then probably just MYOB..
Keep it professional.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Fman and jennifertemple like this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,608
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

You have to know which person signed the contract. I always put this in my contracts:

Occupants must vacate work area while the job is in progress.

It is essential that the work area be available to us, free from other trades. As a result of trade interference, we may leave the job and additional charges may be incurred.
cardgunner likes this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 03-23-2019 at 05:58 PM..
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 412
Thanked 8,604 Times in 4,002 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

About half the time the husband will sign the contract but we know who's really in charge don't we lol?

Unless it's the husbands den, home office, etc., it's usually the wife who is going to have the say of the color schemes.

Personally I never cared who played what roll in any relationship. Their life to live, and my view is that if they're happy and content; good for them.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,052
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I had a family a few years back that had all kinds of people in and out of the house. Boyfriends of the teenage daughters, girlfriends of the teenage sons, friends, relatives. I mean they would just show up randomly and make themselves at home. Not quite the situation you're speaking of @Betheweb, but, uncomfortable to say the least. Some days the teenage daughter would be there asleep in her room, skipping school I guess. It was very odd considering the distrust of strangers these days.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,750
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

"No one knows what goes on behind painted doors."
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mudbone For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #16
RH

Rewards Points: 9,794
Thanked 15,313 Times in 8,010 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Especially green ones.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,135 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post

Charlie Rich does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 02:30 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 314
View EveryDay's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

From your post it's hard to figure out if you are a OneManShow or an employee, but I think you are a OMS.
I always ask for a deposit, for materials. No matter,long term or a brand anew customer.
That way you know who handles the payments and you are setting up the structure of financial responsibility.
I'm already contributing my labour time in good faith that the customer will pay me for it, so I need the customer to financially commit also
to the project, even in the case that they might get recalled by God and killed in a car or plane crash,etc.

I just have this friendly (but firm) look on my face when asking for materials deposit money and I always get it.
That way everybody feels committed to the project.
I'm shocked at the guys who never ask for materials deposit money, I know many of them have years of successful operations
and always get paid at the completion of the job, good on them.
I love to get some materials money up front and more as the job progresses.

So maybe from now on start asking for it, that way you will establish who is who right from the start of the job.
You are already financing the labour part, don't finance the materials.
finishesbykevyn likes this.

Last edited by EveryDay; 03-25-2019 at 02:32 AM..
EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:04 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 3,055
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
1.That way you know who handles the payments and you are setting up the structure of financial responsibility.

2.So maybe from now on start asking for it, that way you will establish who is who right from the start of the job.
You are already financing the labour part, don't finance the materials.
1. The person that pays the down MAY NOT be the person that pays the balance. (In my personal household I generally pay the deposit & Hubby or I might pay the balance. (depends on who is home at the time) It is my opinions that will be carried out!

2. I don't recall him saying he did not get material costs up front, that does not solve his dilemma about whose opinions matter with respect to the job.

In a traditional nuclear family arrangement you would know it is the wife's opinion that will carry even if hubby is footing the bill! The WOTH is ALWAYS the one who decides how things in her house will be! In the case of a homosexual marriage/partnership it will still be the "home maker" that decides domestic issues but it is harder to figure out which one that is. My son is in such an arrangement: He is the "bread Winner" and his partner is more the "home maker". Where domestic issues are concerned, his partner WILL be the one that decides! My son decides the big issues such as staying or moving or how much can be spent because he is the major earner and takes care of the finances.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 30
View CindyinRI's Photo Album My Photos

This is the absolute best post I've seen all day.....

I cannot stop laughing....

THANK YOU!!

Much needed!
CindyinRI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None