S/W all surface enamel hi-gloss - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View guitartlp's Photo Album My Photos
Default S/W all surface enamel hi-gloss

Hey everyone. This is my first post! I love the forums. We just won the bid on painting the interior and front porch on a 2600 sf house. But we're searching for a hi-gloss latex paint to paint so columns on the sides of the front door. We settled on a sherwin Williams all surface enamel. He if anyone has used this product before. Is it any good in hi sunlight areas? Thanks hi gloss black. this is on a place where hi gl
guitartlp is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 530
View Dunbar Painting's Photo Album My Photos

brush or spray?

I sprayed a door in high gloss All Surface enamel black- and it came out nicely...

The paint levels quite nicely, but if you are doing it on a really hot day it will leave stretch marks or whatever you call it when you back brush into something that is setting up.

I would recommend using floetrol if it is hot out and you are brushing it, or just spray it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My name is actually Coby, Dunbar is the community I live in!
Dunbar Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75
View paint-ability's Photo Album My Photos

We've brushed some high gloss black and it turned out great. The whites seemed transparent though so beware of that. Move quick and use either floetrol or extender and you'll be good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paint-ability is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I think one issue that should be addressed is color retention, and I am not sure about SW new colorants being used across all their lines or only with specific products. If All Surface Enamel uses older glycol based colorants, your beautiful, glossy black columns may be ashy, charcoal columns in a year or two. Or three, depending on the exposure.
I've done a ton of black exterior painting, as it is a historic color in New England. I use BM's Gennex and California's Trillion tinted products in dark colors in high sunlight areas,(ocean wind/water as well) and they look good many years later. Far better than jobs painted with glycol tinted paints on other sections of the same houses.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
caulktheline (02-13-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 83
View jonathanthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Duration gloss, if they are vinyl make sure the vinyl safe formula is used to tint if not they could warp.
jonathanthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
View guitartlp's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for all the help. To answer one question, yes I'll be brushing. Also it's funny jonathanthe painter you mention duration. We're painting all the walls with duration and it's a sale they have for 36 a gallon on this. But he insists on gloss black and our sales rep says duration isn't made in gloss. I can't seem to find this either
guitartlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Also sprayed my garage doors with it, still look good. Good retention etc.
if you want a real nice finish you can use BM advance in black, or BM grand entrance, but I say that with a warning to just brush it, as I had trouble spraying a 2nd coat. Sounds like you're set on SW for the black though. I tried ASE once in black and didn't care for it on a front door, but others here seem to like it.
The app won't let me edit my first line, but I meant to say the exterior duration comes in gloss.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
guitartlp (02-16-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpaint
I think one issue that should be addressed is color retention, and I am not sure about SW new colorants being used across all their lines or only with specific products. If All Surface Enamel uses older glycol based colorants, your beautiful, glossy black columns may be ashy, charcoal columns in a year or two. Or three, depending on the exposure.
I've done a ton of black exterior painting, as it is a historic color in New England. I use BM's Gennex and California's Trillion tinted products in dark colors in high sunlight areas,(ocean wind/water as well) and they look good many years later. Far better than jobs painted with glycol tinted paints on other sections of the same houses.
Couldn't agree more, It's all in the colorant for sure. Love that California Satin gloss Black myself. We also like the 2010 trim white on exteriors
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
Couldn't agree more, It's all in the colorant for sure. Love that California Satin gloss Black myself. We also like the 2010 trim white on exteriors
Yeah, those guys at California make great stuff. 2010 is an excellent exterior paint. It's my go to for Coastal New England paint jobs.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpaint

Yeah, those guys at California make great stuff. 2010 is an excellent exterior paint. It's my go to for Coastal New England paint jobs.
Great interior ceiling paint as well. I've toured there Facility in Cambridge a couple times and we used to spray a ton of Aquafleck backin the day when poly mix was king. There oil exterior primers were king at one time as well.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #11

Yeah, I used a lot of their long oil primers, and both larcoloids, oil and acrylic. I really like the new Ultraplate. The Stormstain stuff they make is the best acrylic stain available.

de-rail....

Tags
None