The Sales Process.... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,292
Rewards Points: 2,068
Thanks: 493
Thanked 663 Times in 483 Posts
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default The Sales Process....

So after being in on a webinar the other night, I realized this is a big area were lacking in. Our call backs are horrible and is mostly due to the fact I do too many estimates at peak times of the year and have little time for it.

Being as we dont market to our past customers, which im in the process of fixing as we speak. All home owners have to judge us on is our sales process. Your quality of work is pretty irellevant at that time. The customer is basing there choice on price and presentation at this point.

What do you guys do the seperates you and helps you win the job?

Ill start....two biggest things im changing are bids on the spot and printing the estimate out before leaving. Obviously my call backs need to be done also.

Dress nice
dont park in the drive way
dont smell like smoke
ect.....

Also any help on training a sales person would help also. I had one of our older painters helping me last year but his abiltiy to sell is non exsistent and ill be going a diffrent direction this year.

What do you guys who use pep cloud think? I liked it at first. It gives a good presentation but i think once you print it, it looks really lame. I may switch back to my custom word format.
Stellar likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmondpainting For This Useful Post:
chriscon (07-04-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,072
Rewards Points: 6,570
Thanks: 11,798
Thanked 15,500 Times in 8,156 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Aside from some biggies that would include appearance (both myself and my vehicle), speaking well, and avoiding talking up my company too much or talking down the competition (avoid that at all costs), I've found that it can be an accumulation of small things that often help me get the job.

First, I try to listen more than talk, at least for the first half of the bid time. Let them share their reasons for having you out.

Then, ask lots of questions about what they want done. Are they doing the work for their benefit or are they doing it so they can put the house on the market? What quality of work are they after (not everyone wants the top of the line show and the resulting price tag)? What is the area going to be used for (ex. a kid's room versus a den)? Determine if any special prep or coatings may be required as a result. Also, check to see if there are problem areas that may need to be dealt with. Are there water stains on the ceilings? Does the area above the shower stall need caulking? Is the finish in the bathroom appropriate for that area or should a higher sheen be applied? Are there nail pops and cracks that need repairing? Pointing these out and telling them how you will address those during the job conveys to the customer that you are aware and prepared to address those issues. These are all some examples of things that might come up.

Take good notes. Nothing says unprepared or unprofessional in my opinion than to leave something out of a bid or to have to call and ask the HO about something that was already covered. Being thorough projects having your act together and helps grow the customer's confidence in you as a professional.

I also try to get the names of the primary contacts (spelled correctly), as well as the names of any kids I get introduced to, and of any pets that might be around. I've said it before, but I really think I have gotten some jobs by referring to a HO's child or pet by their name later on during a bid.

Not everything by any means, but just a few things I try and take care of on my bid trips.
__________________
“Getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery.”

Bill Watterson

Last edited by RH; 11-19-2015 at 02:38 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-19-2015), ExcelPaintingCo (11-19-2015), George Z (11-20-2015), Gough (11-19-2015), Nathan (12-19-2015), RCP (11-20-2015), Roamer (11-19-2015), SemiproJohn (11-19-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (11-20-2015), The Cutting Edge (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Old as dirt member
 
Schmidt & Co.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,565
Rewards Points: 688
Thanks: 7,004
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

Excellent topic Matt, and very timely for myself actually. I've always done the things you posted, and a good deal of what RH does, but I've never been through any actual sales training and have always felt like I'm just winging it. My closing ratio has always been in the low 30%, but getting it to at least 50% would be huge for me.

And the reason I said your topic was timely for me is because next week I'm giving it a shot at the one on one coaching with Steve. He's really passonate about sales and that's the one thing I know I could stand to really work on.
__________________
Paul
Schmidt & Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schmidt & Co. For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-19-2015), I paint paint (11-20-2015), straight_lines (11-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
King Dude
 
Rbriggs82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 6,575
Thanks: 4,831
Thanked 5,096 Times in 2,909 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpainting View Post
So after being in on a webinar the other night, I realized this is a big area were lacking in. Our call backs are horrible and is mostly due to the fact I do too many estimates at peak times of the year and have little time for it.

Being as we dont market to our past customers, which im in the process of fixing as we speak. All home owners have to judge us on is our sales process. Your quality of work is pretty irellevant at that time. The customer is basing there choice on price and presentation at this point.

What do you guys do the seperates you and helps you win the job?

Ill start....two biggest things im changing are bids on the spot and printing the estimate out before leaving. Obviously my call backs need to be done also.

Dress nice
dont park in the drive way
dont smell like smoke
ect.....

Also any help on training a sales person would help also. I had one of our older painters helping me last year but his abiltiy to sell is non exsistent and ill be going a diffrent direction this year.

What do you guys who use pep cloud think? I liked it at first. It gives a good presentation but i think once you print it, it looks really lame. I may switch back to my custom word format.
You're right on with PEP. It looks super lame printed out yet it looks amazing when sent via email. I send them all through email so it's not a problem for me but if I were to start giving them on the spot I'd change estimating programs.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rbriggs82; 11-19-2015 at 07:14 PM..
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (11-20-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
Old as dirt member
 
Schmidt & Co.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,565
Rewards Points: 688
Thanks: 7,004
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
You're right on with PEP. It looks super lame printed out yet it looks amazing when sent via email. I send them all through email so it's not a problem for me but if I were to start giving them on the spot I'd change estimating programs.
I haven't had the time yet to look into it myself, but I'm hearing good things about Leveler. It's an estimating app for painters that was developed by Nathan, the creator of Paint Talk.

https://leveler.com
__________________
Paul
Schmidt & Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schmidt & Co. For This Useful Post:
George Z (11-20-2015), Workaholic (12-13-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Paint to fish

 
DeanV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 9,413
Rewards Points: 104
Thanks: 956
Thanked 5,160 Times in 2,814 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
I haven't had the time yet to look into it myself, but I'm hearing good things about Leveler. It's an estimating app for painters that was developed by Nathan, the creator of Paint Talk.

https://leveler.com
I have the Joist app and Brat as well. Joist functions more like a quickbooks estimate in appearance. Brat, for me, seems complicated to use for some reason. Probably just need to get used to it more. And, of course, if you use something other than quickbooks, you still need to go back and enter everything in there later anyway.

Need to check out Nathan's Leveler.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Schmidt & Co. (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,750
Rewards Points: 330
Thanks: 1,945
Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,016 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Richmond
i love selling, i have a "sell sheet" for cabinets, interior, exterior, pool screen enclosure, ect

so if i am called to price painting their cabinet i give them that sell sheet while i am talking to them and tell them here's a little info on our cabinet painting service or here's some info on our interior painting service

a few points on sell sheet:

37 years in the painting trade with shop located at ......
(shows we're qualified & stable)

all work done by a written contract with a certificate of insurance issued by our insurance company listing your name & address ( everyone is lic & ins but we give written certificate )


written warranty on all work ( by a real company with commercial address )

full time highly skilled crew
( again shows we're professionals )

then a few pic of our work related to the bid

FAQ like for interior:
our skilled crew will show at your home & move furniture to center of room, cover with new plastic, remove light switch covers, patch nail holes, caulk, sand walls, apply 2 coats of quality paint ect ...

or cabinets :remove doors & drawers, label them and all hardware, degrease, sand & prep, ect ...

exterior:
using our 4,000 PSI hot water pressure washer our skilled crew will clean your exterior, repair all stucco cracks, recaulk all windows & doors, ect ...

the point is you can tell the HO anything you want but they only remember part of your sell

giving them a sell sheet with basic info for that type job answers a lot of questions the HO has, give them the basic FAQ and mixed with a few pic of the type of job they want it really does go a long way

of course that just part of the sell job but something i see missing in my market by a lot of painters & something that helps me

couldn't up load a sheet to show you but maybe you get the ideal
Stellar likes this.
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Repaint Florida; 11-19-2015 at 09:33 PM..
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
George Z (11-20-2015), I paint paint (11-20-2015), phillyholiday (11-30-2015), PRC (11-21-2015), Rbriggs82 (11-20-2015), scottjr (11-19-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (11-20-2015), straightlinepainting (12-30-2015), Workaholic (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Seattlepainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 413
Rewards Points: 282
Thanks: 184
Thanked 247 Times in 147 Posts
View Seattlepainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida
Richmond i love selling, i have a "sell sheet" for cabinets, interior, exterior, pool screen enclosure, ect so if i am called to price painting their cabinet i give them that sell sheet while i am talking to them and tell them here's a little info on our cabinet painting service or here's some info on our interior painting service a few points on sell sheet: 37 years in the painting trade with shop located at ...... (shows we're qualified & stable) all work done by a written contract with a certificate of insurance issued by our insurance company listing your name & address ( everyone is lic & ins but we give written certificate ) written warranty on all work ( by a real company with commercial address ) full time highly skilled crew ( again shows we're professionals ) then a few pic of our work related to the bid FAQ like for interior: our skilled crew will show at your home & move furniture to center of room, cover with new plastic, remove light switch covers, patch nail holes, caulk, sand walls, apply 2 coats of quality paint ect ... or cabinets :remove doors & drawers, label them and all hardware, degrease, sand & prep, ect ... exterior: using our 4,000 PSI hot water pressure washer our skilled crew will clean your exterior, repair all stucco cracks, recaulk all windows & doors, ect ... the point is you can tell the HO anything you want but they only remember part of your sell giving them a sell sheet with basic info for that type job answers a lot of questions the HO has, give them the basic FAQ and mixed with a few pic of the type of job they want it really does go a long way of course that just part of the sell job but something i see missing in my market by a lot of painters & something that helps me couldn't up load a sheet to show you but maybe you get the ideal
The additionally insured move for home owners is brilliant.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Seattlepainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattlepainting For This Useful Post:
Repaint Florida (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
thinkpainting/nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,687
Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanks: 957
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos
Default

One Step Estimating and Estimate Works Pro both print out word proposals both very easy to modify add pictures etc.

Pep does have a cool email template but there proposal printed out isn't very customer friendly.

I personally don't print out proposal on the spot 90 percent of perspective clients here want at least 3 bids before they close a deal. I get the being a better salesman it's someting I think most of us struggle with. Back when I was the marketing / speaker booker for our local PDCA group we listened to all kinds of salesman pitch what works or worked for them.

I like RPF sell sheets idea and myself being a fan of print marketing and DM still in this Google world cause it works. One thing I learned in my journey was allot depends on where you do business. The franchise company's are better trained in that department here and with the ridiculous low prices they offer they out sell me

One of my best buds sells cars and motorcycles for a living has been for 30 plus years . He's very good at it but he will tell you his best quality is being able to listen , knowing his product and not being pushy.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
Gough (12-14-2015), Repaint Florida (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Intermountain West
Posts: 10,539
Rewards Points: 840
Thanks: 11,620
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlepainting View Post
The additionally insured move for home owners is brilliant.
This may vary by state and provider, but I can get a certificate of insurance sent to our clients listing their address for no cost; adding them as an "Additionally Insured" doesn't come free.
__________________
“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Gough; 12-14-2015 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Orthography
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
thinkpainting/nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,687
Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanks: 957
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
This may vary my state and provider, butI can get a certificate of insurance sent to our clients listing their address for no cost; adding them as an "Additionally Insured" doesn't come free.
Correct they charge for that as well in my state.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,750
Rewards Points: 330
Thanks: 1,945
Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,016 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
Correct they charge for that as well in my state.
My insurance company charged me $100.00 per year to add my warehouse as we have customers stop by sometimes, covers if someone gets hurt on site

adding a home owner is only $25.00 each being it's a short term job

While this can add up in a year i've seen my sale increase and i'm getting better quality / paying jobs

if the HO get's 3 bids and i'm the only 1 giving a certificate i stand out, they feel good about hiring me

add in that i have a shop = another point ( good or bad most house painters don't have a shop here )

another thing is when i e-mail a estimate i put a link into each product i use
so if i am using SW Cashmere i put a link to it .. HO can click and see

i do the same for caulk, primers, sealers, ect so the HO can read about the product

too many painters here just say i use SW, BM or whatever and never give details

letting the HO see & adding a link wins me jobs, trust me it works ... HO love being able to click and see & they wonder why other painters don't do this

i use their address at paint store as a job name, let them know it's on file at the store if they ever need it and to let them know we used the product the paid for

all these little thing add up to more jobs and better paying jobs imho

remember i'am out of the bucket so i have time to market
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
Gough (12-14-2015), I paint paint (12-20-2015), PRC (12-14-2015), RCP (12-14-2015), SteveG (12-14-2015), thinkpainting/nick (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 45
Thanks: 14
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
View SteveG's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Thanks for starting this topic, I just moved to the Daytona Beach area and started working with a company who can use some sales since the owner hurt his back and can barely walk, I asked him today if he wants me to get out and do some sales, had to come here for some tips, really like what Ive heard so far. Jeff, would it be inappropriate to ask for a 15 minute sit down with you to talk about some things? Since were so close and all lol. The guy Im working for is pretty small, but does a lot of work for one big builder in the area, doesnt do any marketing etc.. Either way, let me know, thanks
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:02 PM   #14
RePaintFlorida.com
 
Repaint Florida's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,750
Rewards Points: 330
Thanks: 1,945
Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,016 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Thanks for starting this topic, I just moved to the Daytona Beach area and started working with a company who can use some sales since the owner hurt his back and can barely walk, I asked him today if he wants me to get out and do some sales, had to come here for some tips, really like what Ive heard so far. Jeff, would it be inappropriate to ask for a 15 minute sit down with you to talk about some things? Since were so close and all lol. The guy Im working for is pretty small, but does a lot of work for one big builder in the area, doesnt do any marketing etc.. Either way, let me know, thanks
Feel free to text / call me ( text is best) and i'll try to help you. Was just in Daytona Beach at El Caribe Resort this weekend

two weeks ago Clearwater Beach, next week Cocoa Beach and rounding out the year Big Pine Key

giving the employee a much deserved break
__________________
Repaint Florida LLC
1460 Gemini Blvd
Suite 10
Orlando, Fl 32837
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 45
Thanks: 14
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
View SteveG's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
Feel free to text / call me ( text is best) and i'll try to help you. Was just in Daytona Beach at El Caribe Resort this weekend

two weeks ago Clearwater Beach, next week Cocoa Beach and rounding out the year Big Pine Key

giving the employee a much deserved break
Awesome thanks, expect to hear from me tomorrow some time Will be an 814 number. and Ill have the day off because, no work, until HOPEFULLY wed. Talk to ya soon. Btw, sounds like a nice trip!
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveG For This Useful Post:
Repaint Florida (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,292
Rewards Points: 2,068
Thanks: 493
Thanked 663 Times in 483 Posts
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Anyone have a form they use when they do a residential walk thru? Take off sheet....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
ElTacoPaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 520
Rewards Points: 138
Thanks: 254
Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
My insurance company charged me $100.00 per year to add my warehouse as we have customers stop by sometimes, covers if someone gets hurt on site

adding a home owner is only $25.00 each being it's a short term job

While this can add up in a year i've seen my sale increase and i'm getting better quality / paying jobs

if the HO get's 3 bids and i'm the only 1 giving a certificate i stand out, they feel good about hiring me

add in that i have a shop = another point ( good or bad most house painters don't have a shop here )

another thing is when i e-mail a estimate i put a link into each product i use
so if i am using SW Cashmere i put a link to it .. HO can click and see

i do the same for caulk, primers, sealers, ect so the HO can read about the product

too many painters here just say i use SW, BM or whatever and never give details

letting the HO see & adding a link wins me jobs, trust me it works ... HO love being able to click and see & they wonder why other painters don't do this

i use their address at paint store as a job name, let them know it's on file at the store if they ever need it and to let them know we used the product the paid for

all these little thing add up to more jobs and better paying jobs imho

remember i'am out of the bucket so i have time to market
From my experience with my dads company he gets SW to send him a SW branded folder stuffed with sells sheets and insurance info. Do you do this as well on top of the links?
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #18
The Painter, Inc
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 42
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
View RodHamilton's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Hey guys, sales and estimating is what I do for The Painter, Inc of VA.

This is an excellent discussion topic. We're certainly not the least expensive guys in Hampton Roads, but we have grown exponentially this year over last; and that has been the story for several years now.

The reason I'm doing pretty well is the complete lack of sales effort by most of my competition. I don't paint at all, I just do estimating and sales. My car is wrapped and I have an annual unlimited pass for a local car wash, so I drive through nearly every morning so the car is always standing tall. I wear nice branded apparel, never a t-shirt. I always wear slip on loafers and take my shoes off when I enter a house, even if they don't. It's goofy little things like that that people notice, oddly enough.

I do an up front interview (fact finding) before I do a walk through. I carry a Surface 3 with me and a laser measure and ask questions all the way through the house. When I'm asking questions I'm trying to build value in the process, and, believe it or not, based on the house and the job, I might be trying to lower the customer's expectations. (under promise/over deliver). As I measure the house I input everything onto a spreadhseet I have on my Surface and it is calculating the job for me.

We do in-house surveys at the end of each job, and we compile those and keep them in a book. While I'm putting together the proposal I have the customer review our surveys, continuing to build value in our company and painters.

I carry a bluetooth printer with me, and after I've typed up the proposal, I print it out and add it to a sales packet that I use. The packet contains our insurance declaration age, additional information about our company, a print out of additional added values for our customers and a few other things. I use a tailored presentation based on our conversation and I do the presentation the same way EVERY time. I ALWAYS try to close the deal on the spot, but am a good enough sales person to recognize when to push for the sale and when not to.

In a nutshell: we have a live person answering our phone so the customer rarely has to leave a message. The person who answers sets the appointments for me. We are super responsive to requests for estimates, understanding the key to winning the job is often being the first one to respond. As I mentioned, we aren't cheap, so being first is important.

I am almost always on time and I call them 30 minutes ahead of time to remind them that we have an appointment and that I'll be on time. If I'm going to be 2 minutes late I call and let them know. Again, another little goofy thing that they really notice and appreciate.

First impressions are everything.
Attached Thumbnails
The Sales Process....-screenshot-5-.jpg  

[email protected] likes this.
RodHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RodHamilton For This Useful Post:
CApainter (12-19-2015), Rbriggs82 (12-20-2015), straightlinepainting (12-30-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,650
Rewards Points: 2,440
Thanks: 11,219
Thanked 9,629 Times in 5,476 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

It appears you have a great sales system! Seems very organized, quick, and professional. Just what a homeowner, or building owner, would want.

But I do have a question about your logo. Do you find that emphasizing a religious symbol helps to sell more jobs? I apologize if that seems a little flippant, but I would trust your company even with a regular "t" given how professional you present yourself.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #20
The Painter, Inc
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 21
Rewards Points: 42
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
View RodHamilton's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Convictions. I would say that we probably paint as many homes and businesses of non-Christians as we do Christians.

It might turn some people off, and that's ok with us. Hopefully what it leads us as an organization to do is to uphold the principles of our faith in ways that mean something to every customer. We have 8 full-time painters and not all of them are Christians, but they understand that what drives our quality and approach to customer service is our faith.

Because of the cross on our logo I believe we are held to a higher degree of accountability by everyone than we would be otherwise, and that works for us.
[email protected] likes this.
RodHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RodHamilton For This Useful Post:
CApainter (12-19-2015), Paradigmzz (01-30-2016)
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curing - What Actually Occurs? RH Surface Preparation and Application 23 09-14-2015 04:28 PM
Just a little rant Pete Martin the Painter General Painting Discussion 58 09-11-2015 06:58 PM
Labor Day Sales daArch General Painting Discussion 10 09-07-2015 11:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com