Shop or no shop - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Shop or no shop

Currently i work out of my home.... id like to look into getting a shop with an office at least for my self... not so much for customers...just myself and the crew... the garage just isnt cutting it and im getting to big to be running out of the house.....

I was just curious how many of you have a shop?
do you think its worth the added money?
any suggestions on size or things i should be looking for out of the obvious?

my buddy has a decent office but he only subcontracts and that wouldnt work for me...

i was thinking maybe a storage unit and a small office but id rather it all be in one place..

may like to have a little spray spot but probably going to be to much right now....

any ways..thanks in advance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I don't currently have one, but I would like to get one eventually. I would try to find out if you have any industrial metal buildings around. I think there is some in my town that you can rent around 800-100- sf for about $400 a month.
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Painting View Post
I don't currently have one, but I would like to get one eventually. I would try to find out if you have any industrial metal buildings around. I think there is some in my town that you can rent around 800-100- sf for about $400 a month.
that sounds pretty good on size and price...not much room to spray but i kinda figured that will be too much at first.....

one guy showed me a space with an over head door and high ceilings... not sure how big but it was bigger $1300.00... mechanical contractor...i told him painters dont get paid that much..lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

I've had both, a 1000sf shop / office, and just rented a approx 12x25 storage unit. The shop was nice but that was at the economic downturn, fortunately only had a year lease. $1100 Month plus utilities was around $1250-1300 / month.

I'm back to the home garage and am ok with it for now. It is limiting tho for company meetings etc.
the price is right.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

We have a shop. 1000+ sq. ft. We used to have an office on a busy road, but thought it was a waste of money. We then built out an office in our warehouse. Great move, we saved $900 per month by not renting the office.I don't know what we would do with out our warehouse.

premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I rent a shop close to my house. It's invaluable to me. I need a place to store back stock materials, spray cabinet doors, etc..

I don't know what I would do without it. Clutter up my garage and house I guess!
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 56
Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,811 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Love having a shop. Mine is a bit run down, but price is right.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Here's some pics of our shop, today. One of our crews is taking advantage of a rainy day to prep and prime some 100 year old shutters. You can also see the bays that we have for different equipment. This space has been a great addition to our business at no small expense but definitely a huge asset that we could not do without.

Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:
Bender (08-29-2013), benthepainter (08-28-2013), CApainter (08-28-2013), Damon T (08-30-2013), George Z (08-30-2013), Jmayspaint (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Here's some pics of our shop, today. One of our crews is taking advantage of a rainy day to prep and prime some 100 year old shutters. You can also see the bays that we have for different equipment. This space has been a great addition to our business at no small expense but definitely a huge asset that we could not do without.
Looks pretty awesome...out of my price range for sure....

Old 08-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #10

Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I am still planning our own building, in fact this morning we figured it would be at least four more months. Till then we keep renting, I couldn't imagine doing business without our shop now. Its got two bathrooms, one inside the 12x24 office. I couldn't store all my tools, and materials, and furniture and still have a spray booth in a garage anymore.

I get more done sitting at my desk here than I do at home. Less distractions.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Bender (08-29-2013), CApainter (08-28-2013), Damon T (04-19-2014), Paradigmzz (09-02-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Cool shops, everyone. Roamer, love that slop sink! I am a shop rat too.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vermontpainter For This Useful Post:
CApainter (08-28-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #12
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 56
Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,811 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Here is one of the untold joys of shop ownership. We have a vacant lot next to mine that just sold is is cleared for being rebuilt. I was gone for the zoning meeting, but according to the letter, it was just to OK a variance allowing auto repair on the site (a restaurant had used it before and burned down years ago). Fine, no big deal.

Our shop is behind another business and has shared an easement for access for 4 lots. The easement includes property on both sides of the access easement. Well, the zoning commission was going to have them build all the way to the lot line and put in a 6" curb. This would have put a curb 22ish feet from the front of our shop. The result would be that if a car parked along side the building in front of our, we could not access our shop. If we parked in front of our shop, another 2 owners would not have access to their businesses. The curb would be too tight to allow our cars to turn into our building to park inside or along the front. So, now I had to run down and meet with the zoning person and the only option is to get the building in front of mine to add a curb along the main road so there is one access drive for all businesses. If that does not happen, the curb that ruins the acceess and parking will happen.

Now, I need to get everyone to agreee to the changes (luckily I think everyone wants the changes or is at least OK with them) but we still need to find out the cost to handle water flow from the changes for the to be added storm drain system for the area.

So, it is not all fun and games owning a shop either. Renting may avoid some of those hassles, but there are hassles there as well. Never rent with 2 lawn care companies in the same condo style building. Not if you need to get in and out in the morning.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We are also still thinking about renting a shop, I still have my crappy truck and payment and Carly just bought a new car plus I am moving going to rent a house with over an acre of land, right now we need storage more than a shop but that is next on my list. There is a canvas garage on the property I am renting and I can put another 22x24 there if I want, winters will keep me from doing a whole lot in it but it would be an ok size shop to start with I think.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #14
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 322
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,015 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

For 4 years we've been renting a 1,500 st warehouse plus 2 offices ea 200 sf

Best thing i ever did, having it has been great

A few tips if your looking to rent ...

As Dean said Never rent with 2 lawn care companies in the same condo style building

pay attention to other shops, high traffic shops like body shop, auto repair, ect that can cause parking headache

roll up door size ... having a 16" box truck we need a big door

Ceiling height ... our is 30' which is great, allows 40' ladders, box truck ect, we even have an small efficiency apt above the office

Power ... very important you need the right amps, outlets if your using it for on site work

security ... we have a quite area but a few doors down was an illegal rave club opened after 3:00 am but having camera's we we're able to put a stop to this, something we would have never know without the added security cameras
( pretty good video, some i posted here)

take you time finding the right shop, moving is no fun, i think having a shop help in many ways ..

including tax write write off, google love a business address, hiring painter - many like working for a shop more than someone working out of house, advertisement - commercial address is a plus, and a lot more

we pay $725 a month, put a coke machine out side for the whole complex to use & it covers the electric & water in sales

In mho it a great business move
Orlando, Fl 32837

Last edited by Repaint Florida; 08-30-2013 at 02:40 AM..
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
Damon T (04-19-2014)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

I would love a shop, way to early in my business to consider it but, how much did those of you have to raise their prices to accommodate buying or renting a shop? Or is it justifiable by just having consistent work for multiple crews?
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #16

Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
Cool shops, everyone. Roamer, love that slop sink! I am a shop rat too.
That sink cost us close to 6 grand. Our last sink was put in by the landlord and it struggled to deal with all manner of paint debris that was cleaned from our brushes and ended up clogging the trap and pipes beyond it.

Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roamer For This Useful Post:
vermontpainter (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida

As Dean said Never rent with 2 lawn care companies in the same condo style building

pay attention to other shops, high traffic shops like body shop, auto repair, ect that can cause parking headache

Ceiling height ... our is 30' which is great, allows 40' ladders, box truck ect, we even have an small efficiency apt above the office

Power ... very important you need the right amps, outlets if your using it for on site work

security ... we have a quite area but a few doors down was an illegal rave club opened after 3:00 am but having camera's we we're able to put a stop to this, something we would have never know without the added security cameras

take you time finding the right shop, moving is no fun, i think having a shop help in many ways ..

including tax write write off, google love a business address, hiring painter - many like working for a shop more than someone working out of house, advertisement - commercial address is a plus, and a lot more

we pay $725 a month, put a coke machine out side for the whole complex to use & it covers the electric & water in sales

That same shop here would be double that in rent plus utilities sky high. Many years ago a old timer told me to invest in income property he was a wise man. Especially property that is zoned commercial/ residential then the neighbors can't complain. Having great neighbors or co tenant as goes a long way for stress free time. And yes like Dean said landscapers are brutal for parking.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post

your shop sounds almost to good to be true.. $725 sounds real cheap...im almost afraid to really start looking... thinking it might be to exspensive

Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
That sink cost us close to 6 grand. Our last sink was put in by the landlord and it struggled to deal with all manner of paint debris that was cleaned from our brushes and ended up clogging the trap and pipes beyond it.
It is badass. Good for you, its a good investment.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 256
View capepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Moving in to new shop step 1 much needed ,splitting it with a good friend who is a finish carpenter ,got heat , water ,bathroom nothing fancy ,just a place to store my equipment.
capepainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None