Some help needed - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
View Wallnut's Photo Album My Photos
Default Some help needed

Winter is comming and my work has slowed down alot. I was wanting to get back into apartments during the winter because they're quick, easy, and paint all year. Don't try and convince me not to do them. I was hoping I could get some help on coming up with a sales pitch over the phone. I need somthing that will convince them to switch from they're painter or "in house painter" which usually is a manager. Any help is appreciated... thanks.
Wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25
View Quality's Photo Album My Photos
Default answer

Not many people "moving out" in the winter time. Think about it? I did this for a long time and calling on the phone does work so if you want to do them give it a try, there is always people leaving these jobs because it's immposible to keep the managers happy or the owners because you never meet them and it's there money. The managers only care about keeping there job.

But: if you do call, call over 100 sites, and call them specifically to talk to the managers. Sometimes they'll direct you to the management company and follow up on that. After you call those, call Property management companys and do some very small job for very little money(as they will test you) then your in as long as your there little Bi#ch.

Just call and say "do you need a painter right now" if they don't hang up, say "I can come out and would be willing to negotiate a price with you" "I could do one for free so you can see my work"

Do that over 100 times and be pushy, you may have to do a few for free and get no where, but you will eventually land some work.

Do this over 100 times and re-post here to let me know how it goes.

Don't give up calling after you called the 5th time and they want you to come do work, Call over 100 times so you might find that needle in the stack that is actually decent to work for or atleast you have options.

I also sugguest using this method and calling people you know to "catch up" and "network" tell them your a painter and see what happens, bring up painting to strangers at the store(just an example), this would be better to do first rather than waist your time with apartments, or do both and you will find work( probably not good work) but work.

I'm doing gutter cleaning for "work" and to also get leads in the winter, so be creative and just get out there and do work, little jobs or big just make sure you do a great job and ask for refferals.
Quality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quality For This Useful Post:
Wallnut (10-29-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

just tell em you'll be cheaper than the resident manager who does it for $9.00/hr. That might land you some jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (10-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
dvp

Rewards Points: 75
View dvp's Photo Album My Photos

have you considered contacting real estate agencies? most of them also do property management, this is where i have had success when i used to do this type of work, and plus once you build a relationship, a good Realtor can feed you alot of work.
dvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

This may sound crazy, but just a thought!
Are you RRP Certified? Are there lots of pre 78 units in your area? That might be an "in" for you, they legally have to hire someone certified. If they have been having the handyman do it and he is not certified, may be an option??
The chances of lead in 70-78 apts is less than older homes, and if you are just repainting without disturbing paint it would be pretty easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Be persistant and don't give up after 30 or more tries.
GL,
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
Wallnut (10-29-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
View Midwest Madness's Photo Album My Photos

Have you considered hanging Christmas lights? You have the ladders and they pay about $1 a linear foot. It doesn't take long to throw up 300ft of Christmas lights... a small newspaper add or flier... Just a thought.
Midwest Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest Madness For This Useful Post:
Wallnut (10-29-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150
View Wallnut's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
This may sound crazy, but just a thought!
Are you RRP Certified? Are there lots of pre 78 units in your area? That might be an "in" for you, they legally have to hire someone certified. If they have been having the handyman do it and he is not certified, may be an option??
The chances of lead in 70-78 apts is less than older homes, and if you are just repainting without disturbing paint it would be pretty easy.
RRP? wha? Im in Canada dont know what that is...
Wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallnut View Post
RRP? wha? Im in Canada dont know what that is...
Sorry! Put your location in your profile!

In the states, to work on pre 78 homes, you have to certified!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None