Spray shop work ideas - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By richmondpainting
  • 1 Post By PNW Painter
  • 1 Post By RH

Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spray shop work ideas

im looking for advice on getting work to keep guys busy at our shop to help pay for the shop.

Im looking to do cabinets, trim and doors, metal parts ect.

Im looking for more specific ideas on how to obtain the work and im thinking on a larger scale. The ideas of cold calls and face book ads have been thrown out there.....

Im looking for more specific ideas...

My idea is semis dropping of loads of base boards to be stained and primed... Im thinking big but how to get there is the big question... Cold calls and stopping in cabinet shops may be the only answer but i thought id ask anyways since i logged in here and all LOl...
PNW Painter and Cricket like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

A local prefinisher does a ton of work for a store that sells a lot of raw wood doors.

Do you have a spray booth? If not it'll limit the types of products you'll be able to shoot and this could be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gough likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Painter View Post
A local prefinisher does a ton of work for a store that sells a lot of raw wood doors.

Do you have a spray booth? If not it'll limit the types of products you'll be able to shoot and this could be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll second this. Doors have been the mainstay of our shop work, we've rarely been without a backlog. Pre-painting F/C siding is a distant second...and a lot more heavy lifting.

If I were to do it over again, I'd build a separate drying/ curing area to make it easier to do multiple colors/etc at a time. I think our most recent door job was
7 doors...9 colors.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 7,128
Thanked 15,562 Times in 8,206 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpainting View Post
im looking for advice on getting work to keep guys busy at our shop to help pay for the shop.

Im looking for more specific ideas on how to obtain the work and im thinking on a larger scale. The ideas of cold calls and face book ads have been thrown out there.....

My idea is semis dropping of loads of base boards to be stained and primed... Im thinking big but how to get there is the big question... Cold calls and stopping in cabinet shops may be the only answer but i thought id ask anyways since i logged in here and all LOl...
Not sure why a semi truck would be needed for a typical job. A larger cargo rig would certainly be handy for longer stock, but not getting the semi idea.

A niche we've found to be lucrative and which very few others are doing (hence being able to charge a fairly high rate) is the refinishing of cabinets. Not repainting but getting water damaged doors, drawer fronts, and boxes back to their original stained condition (I say original - but almost always our finished product is much higher in quality that what was done when the homes were built). Sometimes a full sanding is necessary but many times we can clean and lightly sand and then do light successive applications of a tinted clear coat to achieve the desired final look. Doing that has finally made our HVLP a real money maker for us.
Workaholic likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
(I say original - but almost always our finished product is much higher in quality that what was done when the homes were built).

light successive applications of a tinted clear coat to achieve the desired final look. Doing that has finally made our HVLP a real money maker for us.
Bingo.

Doing stained work separates the billy joe painter that slaps paint on the cabinets and a professional painter that is able to stain and tone doors, especially restoring them to an original look. Even more professional if you can achieve a better finish, while not hard, is good professional practice.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 668
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Not sure why a semi truck would be needed for a typical job. A larger cargo rig would certainly be handy for longer stock, but not getting the semi idea.

A niche we've found to be lucrative and which very few others are doing (hence being able to charge a fairly high rate) is the refinishing of cabinets. Not repainting but getting water damaged doors, drawer fronts, and boxes back to their original stained condition (I say original - but almost always our finished product is much higher in quality that what was done when the homes were built). Sometimes a full sanding is necessary but many times we can clean and lightly sand and then do light successive applications of a tinted clear coat to achieve the desired final look. Doing that has finally made our HVLP a real money maker for us.
I have a semi. Separates the men from the boys

About a year ago a high test fish house company wanted us to blast and paint all their fish house trailer frames. They woulda came 20 at a time on a semi. Roughly 400 units per year.

We woulda done them but I didn't want to support the warranty they were asking for.

Now that I just spent 300k on the polyurea truck, maybe I should call them back. Polyurea could potentially withstand the rock chips.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpainting View Post

Rich being you like to think big, get a polyurea/SPF set up and start talking to oil companies. You'll have to beef up your safety program. $20-60/square foot

Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
Rich being you like to think big, get a polyurea/SPF set up and start talking to oil companies. You'll have to beef up your safety program. $20-60/square foot while your at it buy a 40k psi hydroblast truck and a vac truck, you be in for $500,000 to $700,000 depending on how new u buy. Once the tools are working, it's roughly equivalent to having 16-20 SOLID painters going. Cept there's only 3, with a helper each.

Tags
None