Tough to keep quality orientated in today's shoddy world - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tough to keep quality orientated in today's shoddy world

Perhaps this could be in the BZ, but I'd kinda like it readable to all lurkers.

Lately I look around the house and start adding up all the shoddy work I have paid for - WITHOUT bottom dragging. I don't haggle over price. I choose by recommendations from others or hire people who have worked for me before. I rarely get multiple quotes. And yet, the work is NOT what I thought I was paying for. I get disheartened, and this little voice inside wonders why the hell should I bust my hump to give quality work when obviously crappy work is now the norm.

This is supported when I work in some REALLY nice homes, and the work in them, from carpentry, to electrical, to floor sanding, to painting, etc is as if they are all Student Pro "trades" people. Craftsmanship is now CRAPSmanship for the most part, and I can sense it's starting to affect my standards of acceptance.

I don't know where it starts. Is it the HO who always wants the trades to sharpen their pencils? Or offer cash with a discount? Or the inability to realize quality takes time? Or is it the Crapsmen who are greedy to earn a buck without delivering a good product?

Or is it just society in general?

Hopefully I can continue on my chosen path for another six months. I'd hate to surrender to the dark side - but I do feel surrounded.

Rant over.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-03-2014), cardwizzard (06-03-2014), ColorQuest (06-03-2014), Monstertruck (06-04-2014), oldccm (06-03-2014), ProWallGuy (06-03-2014), RH (06-03-2014), straight_lines (06-03-2014), thinkpainting/nick (06-03-2014), vividpainting (06-03-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Companies and home owners aren't trying to pay for the Labor part...especially for cosmetic things....

They want to spend it on vacations..eating out...vehicles...things of that nature....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to richmondpainting For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-03-2014), ColorQuest (06-03-2014), Schmidt & Co. (06-03-2014), straight_lines (06-03-2014), vividpainting (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post

<<<snip>>>

This is supported when I work in some REALLY nice homes, and the work in them, from carpentry, to electrical, to floor sanding, to painting, etc is as if they are all Student Pro "trades" people. Craftsmanship is now CRAPSmanship for the most part, and I can sense it's starting to affect my standards of acceptance.

I don't know where it starts. Is it the HO who always wants the trades to sharpen their pencils? Or offer cash with a discount? Or the inability to realize quality takes time? Or is it the Crapsmen who are greedy to earn a buck without delivering a good product?

<<<snip>>>>
I'm seeing this as well, and have been wondering about the next 9 months 22 days.

I think it's the result of a combination of factors. Some of the things that come to mind are the denigration of skilled trades in general, the focus on quantity over quality, and general ignorance.

The first one shows up in reduced support for vocational training, which affects the type of individuals pursuing a career in the trades. In turn, that affects the general public's perception of tradespeople, and the spiral continues, downward.

The quantity/quality choice drives prices, and therefore quality, lower and lower.
The "per square foot of floor area" pricing for NC is both a symptom and cause of this. The general public may see it as more bang for the buck, but fail to realize what is lost in the bargain.

Lastly, it seems that more and more people just don't know the difference. Crappy work has become the norm, it's like a Gresham's Law for the trades. We can slow the tide by educating clients, but it's a battle against the bottom feeders.
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-03-2014), cardwizzard (06-03-2014), daArch (06-03-2014), thinkpainting/nick (06-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 152
View cardwizzard's Photo Album My Photos

Bill, I agree with most of that. Your old school and want things done right, and are willing to pay for it. I'm the same.

However I believe with all these diy shows people think they can do it themselves. Great I say let them, but don't come running to me when it goes wrong. The paint industry invented the term diy in the 50's as no painter returning after the war painted. Most could get a better job, then Madison Ave invented diy to help paint companies sell paint. Slippery slopes.

The percentage of apprentices coming through the ranks is alarmingly low. And if a good craftsman does make it, the percentage of them starting a successful business is lower again.

There is a market for being a craftsman. Took me a while to learn how to be business man too.

Sent from my D5503 using PaintTalk.com mobile app
cardwizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cardwizzard For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-03-2014), daArch (06-03-2014), straight_lines (06-03-2014), Stretch67 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,298
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Our culture has become more business and tech oriented rather then the skilled trade orientation of the past. And when you have the strength of trade unions diminishing and replaced with the more lucrative unskilled labor pool, it's no wonder expectations of quality has diminished along with it.

However, I believe once the cheap, and in many cases, the un documented work force is recognized as the largest and only building and infrastructure improvement resource in the US, we will start to see the standards begin to rise along with salaries. Which will ultimately mean higher cost for home improvements.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwizzard View Post
Lol just got this email.

Attached Thumbnails
Tough to keep quality orientated in today's shoddy world-1401810584177.jpg  

Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 556
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

People are too busy staring at their phones these days to notice quality work.
LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LA Painter For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-03-2014), daArch (06-03-2014), The 3rd Coat (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Honestly most people don't know the difference between craftsmenship or just barely enough to pass mustard. If you are neat and clean which is really easy to be you will see a much better return on your time spent.

By neat and clean I mean that there is no evidence you have been working on their property other than the work being done, and you leave their property in better shape than when you arrived.

I realized that we were doing much better work than 95% of the contractors out there a couple of years back, and it still took me over a year for it to sink in that I could get by with much less worry about it. So we focus more on being the neat and clean contractor who does good work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
101 Painters (06-10-2014), CApainter (06-03-2014), daArch (06-03-2014), Gough (06-03-2014), Schmidt & Co. (06-03-2014), Texas Paint Pro (08-22-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
Troy

Rewards Points: 144
Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,123 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Shoddy work is the result of short-sided thinking; whether it be at the top, from the builder who thinks he'll pinch his pennies by lowering his standards, or from the painter, who thinks he'll increase his margins by decreasing his efforts in attention-to-detail.

These people have a short shelf-life. What's scary as hell is that they seem to be regenerating faster than throwing a bucket of gremlins into a swimming pool.
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
Honestly most people don't know the difference between craftsmenship or just barely enough to pass mustard. If you are neat and clean which is really easy to be you will see a much better return on your time spent.

By neat and clean I mean that there is no evidence you have been working on their property other than the work being done, and you leave their property in better shape than when you arrived.

I realized that we were doing much better work than 95% of the contractors out there a couple of years back, and it still took me over a year for it to sink in that I could get by with much less worry about it. So we focus more on being the neat and clean contractor who does good work.
This is a really good point. I find I'm appreciated more for my communication skills, and any attempt to inform or organize myself, rather then the actual finished product I'm providing. Which isn't that bad either.

It's almost as if the packaging has more value then the actual product. Especially, since so much is intended to be disposable or obsolete, or just plain ole passe in a short amount of time. Besides, how else are we to keep the inventors, engineers, and entrepreneurs motivated if we make things that are supposed to last.

Consumerism is about entertaining our shallow sensibilities rather then satisfying our souls.

Last edited by CApainter; 06-03-2014 at 12:40 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
101 Painters (06-10-2014), straight_lines (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
View Monstertruck's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Lately I look around the house and start adding up all the shoddy work I have paid for - WITHOUT bottom dragging. I don't haggle over price. I choose by recommendations from others or hire people who have worked for me before. I rarely get multiple quotes. And yet, the work is NOT what I thought I was paying for. I get disheartened, and this little voice inside wonders why the hell should I bust my hump to give quality work when obviously crappy work is now the norm.

Or is it just society in general?

Hopefully I can continue on my chosen path for another six months. I'd hate to surrender to the dark side - but I do feel surrounded.

Rant over.
Agree 100%.
You see it everywhere you go, not just in who you hire.
The phrase I coined a few years ago is
"I'm surrounded by idiots."
At first my family and friends laughed and said, aw it's not that bad.
They laugh no more.

Apathy.
Monstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monstertruck For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-03-2014), Gough (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstertruck View Post
Agree 100%.
You see it everywhere you go, not just in who you hire.
The phrase I coined a few years ago is
"I'm surrounded by idiots."
At first my family and friends laughed and said, aw it's not that bad.
They laugh no more.

Apathy.
As talented and as capable as I am, I've refrained from joining the camp of the elite, knowing that my own faults would quickly have me outcast.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-03-2014), northcountrypainter (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 69
View fanggo's Photo Album My Photos

Oh Man. I think all of us can relate. Even here in Canada. I have noticed years ago, where new homes had the drywall butted up on inside corners and just caulked. The job I'm on now, with clients I've had for over 15 years (repaint private) said that a friend asked what do they charge because we have this guy that paints for $10 per hour and you should hire him. Our minimum wage is greater than that. They don't even know what I will charge and they don't care.
I haven't advertised in twenty years. All word of mouth. Paint dealers assist there too. I have never had a "discrepancy list" or any problems after I leave my job. Never tried to compete with low end bidders. I would lose. Poor workmanship has always been around and will when I'm out of the picture. My clients see it too. I do become irate when I see what people pay for. Yet with the economy downfall, and most aren't just click click anymore, I find most of my clients have funds and know better.
I will retire in about 4/5 years with painting/wallpapering on the side. And I will retire with a good reputation and my head held high.
Don't compromise yourself. But you already knew that.
fanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Besides ranting about the deterioration of quality, what also scares me is that I have to catch myself from shouldering up with these swine and eating out of the same trough.

Do any of you have the same problem? Where because all you see around you is crap, it is tough to do better work than what your working on?

I was in a house the other day that had really nice work, wood joints good, paint was near flawless, and the general quality was right there. I had no problem bringing my A game, and thoroughly enjoyed it. On my way out, I instinctively picked the mail up off the floor and stacked it neatly on the hall table.

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 06-03-2014 at 04:30 PM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Gough (06-03-2014), straight_lines (06-03-2014), Stretch67 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Besides ranting about the deterioration of quality, what also scares me is that I have to catch myself from shouldering up with these swine and eating out of the same trough.

Do any of you have the same problem? Where because all you see around you is crap, it is tough to do better work than what your working on?

I was in a house the other day that had really nice work, wood joints good, paint was near flawless, and the general quality was right there. I had no problem bringing my A game, and thoroughly enjoyed it. On my way out, I instinctively picked the mail up off the floor and stacked it neatly on the hall table.
This is a reason that we work mainly with a loose conglomerate of other like-minded outfits: carpenters, ceramic mechanics, and even a couple of careful electricians. It brings out the best in everybody. Do crappy work and you don't get asked back.
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
cardwizzard (06-03-2014), daArch (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Quote:

It took me a long time to accept that going the extra mile and doing amazing work just wasn't appreciated but by a few clients. Getting the job done on time, on budget, with as little disruption to their lives, while being a freak about a clean site is what most of the people we work for want.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
101 Painters (06-10-2014), Dave Mac (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #17

[QUOTE=Gough;496627]This is a reason that we work mainly with a loose conglomerate of other like-minded outfits: carpenters, ceramic mechanics, and even a couple of careful electricians. It brings out the best in everybody. Do crappy work and you don't get asked back.[/QUOTE

Birds of a feather flock together. 👍
The Following User Says Thank You to cardwizzard For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 69
View fanggo's Photo Album My Photos

I so agree with both of you. That little extra mile goes a long way. Keep it clean. Respect the homeowners property and family dynamics. And if you can, find some thing nice to do just for them.

Was not talking about leaving a flower arrangement or a bottle of wine. But little things just like the mail you did.

I got lucky at my job last week. The daughter cut the cord of the lawn mower. Ma got upset. Pa said he had this 100 ft for 35 years. I mentioned that I was going to the hardware store and perhaps I could assist. I was not going there. Next day I cut about 4 feet of cord and added a new end. Pa said that it was better than the old because it didn't fall out now.

They said when I'm done with my next out of town job they need me for more painting and grasscloth wallpaper.

Again. Don't compromise yourself.
fanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 660
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I know this feeling all too well. Lol and I am not THAT old. Before I was a painter, I used to do carpentry. First framing and then finish work. Built one for the CEO of Wells Fargo, the inventor of Quickbooks, the owner of Alpine Bank, among others. They were all in Aspen, Co and ranged from 8-40 million bucks.

The GC's I worked with/for as well as other trimmers that I collaborated with, were all the A+ insanely detailed tight coping joint NO CAULK OR PUTTY ALLOWED ANYWHERE TYPES. We scribed 10" 2 part base onto flagstone floors so stinking tight that a baby ant wouldn't a been able to get under there. Shoot we glued AND biscuited our joints on a door and window casings.

Then at one point circumstances put me working in the "enemy camp". I absolutely couldn't believe it. These guys were using more journeyman-in-a-can than I would've ever even thought possible. Serious, they would use a full pint just putting in one measly 250K dollar kitchen. Where I had been working before, you woulda got fired if anyone even heard you had wood putty in your possession.

So needless to say, enemy camp was able to work significantly faster. I would be shocked though if any of the savings was being passed on to the customer.

This particular example makes the GC look greedy, but it can be the HO, the sub, or anyone. Ppl in general just want more stuff, not better stuff.

Also, there is a lot bigger gap nowadays (ppl to blame) b/t the technician and the end customer. 100 years ago when everyone worked within a mile or two of home, you had better do a doggone good job or you will be hearing about it. You might not even get paid, or you could get your a** whooped. Plus that same guy your helping, was probably planning to come help you on your project next week. So there was a lot of motivation to do it right.

Right now, I'm commuting 72 miles to the jobsite. And there are a minimum of 6 "middle men" in b/t my techs and the owner of the buildings. Hard to give/receive clear feedback.

Last edited by Stretch67; 06-03-2014 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

It's not just one source for the problem.

1.) End Customers - most people don't know a quality job from a non-quality job. If it's OBVIOUSLY bad, then people will know, lights hanging off cords in the ceiling, paint drips on the walls, etc. etc. Then of course they will notice. However, most people have never experienced high-end work so they can't tell the difference.

2.) The subs/workers take the mentality that they need to make money. And making a living isn't making 500 a week profit. They want to make 2 or 3k per week in order to "make a living" and that means getting IN and OUT.

If it takes more time...forget it. And if the customer is stubborn, blame the customer...they are "too picky". And most people aren't going to sue over an "acceptable" paint job because "they wanted perfection". Won't hold up in court, period. Because the law judges these types of cases on a "norm" standard, if it is 'generally and equitably acceptable' work, then the case gets dismissed.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-05-2014)

Tags
None