Trade Partners - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos
Default Trade Partners

How many of you network with other trades?
A recent article here. It's pretty generic, but I have been experimenting with the concept in the past year. I recommended a window washer and a gutter guy I know to HO we did work for, both have referred their customers to us for painting.
I created a website and FB page for this as well. The others I have involved like it, and the next step will be to have all involved carry each others info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf swtrade.pdf (116.0 KB, 110 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Systems Fanatic

Rewards Points: 500
View Brian's Photo Album My Photos

We actively trade referrals with a flooring company and a window repair company. We get at least 5 leads a month between the two of them. The flooring company even keeps out literature on their counter.

Brian Phillips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 242
Thanked 8,677 Times in 4,054 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

That's mainly the type of "networking" I did and we eventually made it into an "informal formal" group. Doing insurance resto business also opened up a few oppurtunities with other service type businesses. I think once you're familiar with the other's work habits and quality, it's easier to accept being a part of something like this.

Knowing what some of your client's/customers do for a living can also open doors for you.

A few years ago the florist who does all my thank you arrangements had a sign on the front of his business that was in serious need of attention. I think I had 8 or 9 hours at the most over the course of a week-end repainting the sign. Had the van parked right in front and picked up 4 jobs the next week from the exposure. Had to check my file just now on the florist and it shows a total of 11 jobs that I could attribute to them due to painting the sign.

BTW - I have been known to barter with some but only on our personal homes. Nobody has yet to feel that they've been taken advantage of.
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

By the title, I though you and Rob were into some kinky lifestyle stuff.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

For the most part, I'd say that's how it is done here in the UK. We get a team of reliable guys in different trades and regularly pass work each others way. Can't beat it. You are always getting your business promoted.

It works best for our trade IMO because all the other trades go in first on a job and mess the home up. The HO then gets recommended to us to come in and make good.
As we are normally the last trade in it is usually harder to recommend the other trades if the HO is not having any other building work done. The only trade after us is usually the floor layers.

That's my two penneth, anyway

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I think once you're familiar with the other's work habits and quality, it's easier to accept being a part of something like this.
Yes, this has been true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
Rob says he's willing to trade me for two 25 year olds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistcoat View Post
As we are normally the last trade in it is usually harder to recommend the other trades if the HO is not having any other building work done. The only trade after us is usually the floor layers.

That's my two penneth, anyway
I agree, I have been mentioning it during the initial meeting if it seems the right time.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
mistcoat (10-08-2010)
Old 10-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Renegade Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post

I'm dyin' here.....
Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 104
Thanked 5,160 Times in 2,814 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

For me, this is kind of how bni has worked out. i get and give the most referrals to people who are also in the trades. the are other tradesmen i try to send work to as well and they try to return the favor.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Renegade Mod

"Willing to trade you in for two 25yo's?" Tell Rob that's like the dog chasing the car....once you catch it what are you going to do with it? LOL
bikerboy (10-09-2010), ProWallGuy (10-08-2010), Workaholic (10-08-2010)
Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
View paint-net's Photo Album My Photos

this is a very good thing to do and it can be done on steroids as well

|
paint-net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade partners