Tradesmen international.... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tradesmen international....

I have always had many ways of finding employees....

but im considering using tradesmen...anyone use them or have an insight on the matter?

cost..
benifits....disadvantages

Im meeting a rep tomorrow on the job site.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpainting View Post
I have always had many ways of finding employees....

but im considering using tradesmen...anyone use them or have an insight on the matter?

cost..
benifits....disadvantages

Im meeting a rep tomorrow on the job site.....
Way to exspensive......not happening here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

I've used them a few times. Tell them how much you are paying...
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
I've used them a few times. Tell them how much you are paying...
Its a total diffrence....to take one of my guys they want $16 for a $10/hour guy...

General laborers supplied by them who are paid 13...I think they want $18...that's nuts...

Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Grants Painting

Rewards Points: 150
View GrantsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

I didn't have a good experience with them. They were supposed to send a commercial foreman to my site when I was away on my honeymoon. The rep didn't come to introduce the guy till the last day that I was leaving.
The guy had about 6 or 7 solid teeth and when I got back I found very little work done, The wrong paint in the wrong areas. He never picked up more paint so they worked with what they had - He had no licence! Store Manager said guys were sleeping outside for hours at a time. Oh and one guy was riding around the store with his headphones on his bicycle WHILE THE STORE WAS OPEN. I sat and watched the guy that was supposed to be being managed by the TI employee, ride around the store about four times before the astonishment wore off. They wanted 26 for him and I later found out later that they paid him 12. Guess what I wrote TI a check for? ers

GrantsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #6

View Red Truck's Photo Album My Photos

Nice story! The pricing doesn't seem bad, at least not for 18. But taking a gamble with stories like that...They should have a leader board or something so you can hire based on ratings or their bicycles or somethin haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsPainting View Post
I didn't have a good experience with them. They were supposed to send a commercial foreman to my site when I was away on my honeymoon. The rep didn't come to introduce the guy till the last day that I was leaving.
The guy had about 6 or 7 solid teeth and when I got back I found very little work done, The wrong paint in the wrong areas. He never picked up more paint so they worked with what they had - He had no licence! Store Manager said guys were sleeping outside for hours at a time. Oh and one guy was riding around the store with his headphones on his bicycle WHILE THE STORE WAS OPEN. I sat and watched the guy that was supposed to be being managed by the TI employee, ride around the store about four times before the astonishment wore off. They wanted 26 for him and I later found out later that they paid him 12. Guess what I wrote TI a check for? ers
Red Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Its a total diffrence....to take one of my guys they want $16 for a $10/hour guy...

General laborers supplied by them who are paid 13...I think they want $18...that's nuts...
A five dollar markup is nuts? Oh paduan...

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-06-2013), ProWallGuy (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsPainting
Wow, and I worry about not showing up on time once in a while making me look bad.

Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,802 Times in 2,488 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

If you are legit, with workman's comp and matching taxes, that's close to what you will spend anyway. (I'm assuming that they cover those things)

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
RCP (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros

If you are legit, with workman's comp and matching taxes, that's close to what you will spend anyway. (I'm assuming that they cover those things)
That's right. I add at least 21% to the hourly wage before I even think about making money.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
That's right. I add at least 21% to the hourly wage before I even think about making money.
well...i dont know how i will ever be ever able to make the switch with those mark ups and rates..... I struggle with my $16/ hour guy as it is now.......

Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
well...i dont know how i will ever be ever able to make the switch with those mark ups and rates..... I struggle with my $16/ hour guy as it is now.......
G damit Rich! Free your mind and the rest will follow. I cannot teach you how to have vision. It is the single defining element that makes the successful successful. It ain't the type of job: commercial, residential, whatever. As soon as you learn to believe in yourself (and price accordingly) is when you will finally turn the corner.

Until then your going to keep chasing jobs.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Richmond, if the payroll burden only is causing you grief, I can almost guarantee you are not recovering the rest of your overhead at all. Payroll is the easy one.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
Grants Painting

View GrantsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Wow, and I worry about not showing up on time once in a while making me look bad.
Yea no calls yet from them wanting any thing else painted. Although the GC doesn't do much work here in town. They were just in for the big reno.
No worries though. Im no longer doing any big commercial jobs because I just hate doing them. Id rather meet new people and be new places more often than the same place doing the same BS paperwork. Ive shifted into Res and small local commercial like strip mall stuff and signs. Oh and if Im starvin for a cup of joe and a doughnut, I stop and get it instead of being at the back door when construction get in.
Did I mention that I HATE the paperwork. I would be in a 9-5 if I actually liked that crap.

GrantsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #15
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

switch to 100% residential and all your problems will be solved
Steve Burnett (04-06-2013)

Tags
None