Travel time - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Rockford Il Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Travel time

Does any one pay travel time to their employees? I have been making my guys drive the first 30 minutes from their house to the jobsite after 30 minutes then I would start the time clock for them. If they had to come to the shop to pick up tools, paint, or anything else I would start their time when they arrived at the shop and pay travel time to the job site. I feel like some of the guys have been taking advantage of some situations and I am in the process of changing the policy. Any input would be appeciated.
Rockford Il Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

If they worked at an office, would they get paid for all or part of there commute?

Construction seems to be one of the only jobs that this comes up. I will on occasion pay travel time if it is a job out of our normal area, but otherwise your on the clock only when you are at work.

Of course if I require one of the guys to pick up the truck or some tools at the shop, there time starts from there.

Last edited by Schmidt & Co.; 06-12-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Schmidt & Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

When hiring explain your work radius and compensate when appropriate.

Plan your jobs better and either have yourself or a op's manager stock jobs to avoid having to pay travel time to employees to and from the shop.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

Only if they go from one site to another in the middle of the day. Never the morning commute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds to me like your being more than fair. I could see maybe helping out on travel time if the job was like over an hour away. But 30 minutes? No. Only time I ever got put on the clock was when I was picking up equipment at the shop, materials at the paint store, or driving to an out of town job and even that was only one way.
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10
View QLDPainter's Photo Album My Photos

We use to get paid 30 cents a kilowmeter for any where further then 50 kilometers from our paint factory.
QLDPainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
do it right, if you're going to do it