Traveling crew - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stretch67
  • 1 Post By richmondpainting

Old 02-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
View gred1994's Photo Album My Photos
Default Traveling crew

I have the opportunity to paint dental offices across the US. It is night work. My company did this successfully a few years ago and I made a great profit. The two men who went made great money and I trusted them completely. That gig ended when my contact got fired. He was hired on at a different large, national dental chain. He called me and last year we went back on the road, only this time my supervisor didn't want to go, and I had a hell of a time finding quality help. I'm sure I lost money on some of those jobs. I assumed that the gig was over.

Fast forward to last week when I got a call from my contact again. He wants to structure the pay differently to where I am making more money. The problem is...help.

I have a two man crew out right now and I;m 99% sure they won't work.

Any advice on finding painters willing to travel?? How do these large chains staff a traveling crew?
gred1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 07:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

There was a member here Richmond painting that used to do this. He didn't last long at all. It was both his help and the nightly strip clubs that got him.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (03-07-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

We've worked alongside various traveling crews and it's always a mixed bag of people.

A lot of times they hire out local paint companies (aka local help). But not everyone can or is willing to put in long hours with marginal pay. We take those jobs from time to time because we have the speed and process to make it an in and out thing.

At the end of the day, motivation is this: Pay.

If you pay good and you have a process for tackling jobs, people will show up. Benefits or perks also help out. Such as free room and board, etc.

Most of the crews I've seen that travel and do night work, etc., are young guys in their 20's with no real wife/family to tie them down.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (02-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 660
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
There was a member here Richmond painting that used to do this. He didn't last long at all. It was both his help and the nightly strip clubs that got him.
Kinda miss him, wonder what happened....

OP, maybe you want to PM some of the details. We have plenty of skilled staff that have handled everything from soup to nuts, up to high six figure jobs. IME, it kinda starts and ends with the pay. If the money is there, I easily could send a couple guys out. Heck I'd maybe consider it myself. OTR though and working nights, revenue would have to be minimum 2500 a day for two guys. Depending on location could be significantly more. If it's a lot less than that... well no wonder your looking.
cdpainting likes this.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Except for the fact Im still here. Since 2008 actually and were just finishing a 53 unit senior living condo community in Iowa. Road work is a different beast and you have to be ready to goyourself if needed. I still do make a club trip every new region we go to also...just one.. okay maybe two...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpainting View Post
Quote:
Except for the fact Im still here. Since 2008 actually and were just finishing a 53 unit senior living condo community in Iowa. Road work is a different beast and you have to be ready to goyourself if needed. I still do make a club trip every new region we go to also...just one.. okay maybe two...
Glad to see you back here Richmond. Strip clubs are a must for traveling painters. I just wouldn't treat my crew. They can pay their own way.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:06 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Glad to see you back here Richmond. Strip clubs are a must for traveling painters. I just wouldn't treat my crew. They can pay their own way.
ahhhh just passing through...Learned a few things in the last few years.....Schmidt and Gabe mentioned PT on fb and i thought id check it out...Good to see some familiar names of guys i have some respect for!!
[email protected] likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None