"That wasn't broken before" - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View PauliePaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default "That wasn't broken before"

Hey guys,

My father owns the company and fell ill so I have had to take over for him to keep things going. I have a decent business sense and have been doing well for about a year now, but this is something I have just not been able to figure out how to deal with.

I'm sure you've heard it, right when you are invoicing the customer and trying to get paid for your hard work and great job "my ________ is broken, it wasn't like that before."

Sometimes it is obvious your guys did it, but other times it is just absurd and you know the people are just trying to cash in. What do you do? You can't prove it, but neither can they. My most recent is my guy was painting some wood trim around a garage door, that is all. The customer does not want to pay because she said we broke a paver. Huh? It is obvious we did not break this paver. It was a small job with a few other things on the inside, I even threw in an extra for free (those always seem to be the ones that screw you).

What do you do?
PauliePaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

I have never had that situation come up. I have had the you got paint on this thing before. Even when the paint is a total different color than what I was working in.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Workaholic For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (11-18-2009), mistcoat (11-17-2009)
Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Take before and after pics. Note any damaged areas. You won't catch it all, but how often does it really happen? 2.00 paver enough to leave a bad impression?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
mistcoat (11-17-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,470
Thanked 9,571 Times in 5,433 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

A pre job assessment prior to the job, can help identify existing paint splatter, fragiles, and damaged items. But like RCP says, you can't catch it all.

187 to go, so's I can roll wit da big Dawgs. Based on my average, that'll be sometime in 2012!
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,488 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauliePaint View Post
What do you do?
You fix it. 100% of the time. It doesn't matter who is right. I learned that the hard way this year.

If there is an issue such as pre existing paint splatter on a mahogany piece of furniture, you find that and point it out before you start.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

After I walk the jobsite, I bring the homeowner with me on the second trip and point out all the items in question before hand and have them sign off on such things. One time I gave the estimate and then walked the homeowner around. They were going to sign, but I told them that I was not responsible for pre existing contractor/homeowner issues. This person thought they were going to get it signed, let me do the work, blame me when done, do not pay and take me to court. Well, as soon as I gave my disclaimer they said they would be in touch. I said I thought you want the work done and were adament about me starting? They shrugged their shoulders and i said you thought you had a amatuer didnt you Son. I left to their serenade of curse words all the while I chuckeld to my van.

Do not have the conspiracy angle in your mind, but do not rule it out though...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
I walk the jobsite, I bring the homeowner with me on the second trip and point out all the items in question... I told them that I was not responsible for pre existing contractor/homeowner issues... I gave my disclaimer they said they would be in touch. I said I thought you want the work done and were adament about me starting? They shrugged their shoulders and i said you thought you had a amatuer didnt you Son. I left to their serenade of curse words all the while I chuckeld to my van.
Hahaha!!!
Good on yer 4thGen
That is class

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ThGeneration View Post
After I walk the jobsite, I bring the homeowner with me on the second trip and point out all the items in question before hand and have them sign off on such things. One time I gave the estimate and then walked the homeowner around. They were going to sign, but I told them that I was not responsible for pre existing contractor/homeowner issues. This person thought they were going to get it signed, let me do the work, blame me when done, do not pay and take me to court. Well, as soon as I gave my disclaimer they said they would be in touch. I said I thought you want the work done and were adament about me starting? They shrugged their shoulders and i said you thought you had a amatuer didnt you Son. I left to their serenade of curse words all the while I chuckeld to my van.

Do not have the conspiracy angle in your mind, but do not rule it out though...
That's awesome . . . I'm in no mood for wierd homeowners these days and love hearing a success story like yours. Though I've never really had the "you broke this" issue, one or two wierdos are enough to put you on alert moving forward. My issues with homeowners these days revolve more around the fact that everybody thinks "it's a great time to buy" which, when translated means "a great time to try to get people to work for free."
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
House Painting Reading PA

View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

Take a form filled out that states they will take a pay cut also because in fact "There are tons of out of work people looking for work" My guess is that they will not go for that will they? Funny how it is always trades like ours that seems make sense for people to get a cheap rate. Now at the same time they want you to be bonded, insured and licensed. They want you to have an adequate number of employees as well as all the equipment needed to finish their job on time and with top notch quality. That equates to $50 per room in their lolly pops and Sunshine world as Glenn Beck tells the story.
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:01 AM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 118
Thanked 8,635 Times in 4,028 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Before any job is started, we always take pics of any questionable pre-existing conditions in areas where we are working or have to transport materials and equipment through. We bring it to the attention of the HO and have them sign off on it.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #11

View Slingah's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack View Post
My issues with homeowners these days revolve more around the fact that everybody thinks "it's a great time to buy" which, when translated means "a great time to try to get people to work for free."
Exactly what I am seeing...I won't do it...I'll flip burgers before I give it away..
On topic...I have never been strong-armed by a client....I think they know better than to try it...If I broke/damaged something, I'd make it right.
Slingah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Renegade Mod

This happens quite a bit doing insurance resto work. They figure the insurance co is paying for it, so what the heck. The first 6 mos. of doing this type work caused me alot of extra work. I sat down with a few adjusters and they said pictures were the best "insurance and assurance" to protect one's self. Thank god for digital cameras.

I do a very thorough inspection of the jobs now, and have no problem what so ever in bringing the "facts" to the customer.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10
View PauliePaint's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks guys. I have been doing the photos thing and pre-job inspections. I of course paid for the paver and stuff, it was just the principle of the matter that had me frustrated.
PauliePaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #14

View Mantis's Photo Album My Photos

Photos are great, as well as the pre-walk. You have to get used to looking for the previous 'oops' left by other crews before you start getting your hands dirty.

Here's a situation I ran into about 3 years ago. New construction home with 5 french doors. Typical pre-primed doors with the plastic already on the glass from the factory. We finish the house as usual and i send 1 guy to clean up, hang doors, etc on the final day. About a week later I get a call from the builder saying the glass is scratched all to hell on all the doors. According to the builder the owner saw my employee 'scraping' the plastic off the glass with a mud knife. The guy i sent to clean up has been with me for 6 years and has many new french-door-plastic-removals under his belt. But what could i do? I argued until I was blue in the face but I have the builder and the home owner blaming me. I ended up eating the cost of 5 french doors + refinishing them + $400 for the trimmer to replace them (3 of the doors were stationary wall separators).

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25
View speedy472's Photo Album My Photos

I had broke an outdoor egg looking thing, and the customer freaked out and told me it was an irreplacible item and it was a 100$ ...........Thank god the sticker in the bottom said 19.99 walmart..................she was pissed but she paid
speedy472 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speedy472 For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (12-04-2009)
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy472 View Post
I had broke an outdoor egg looking thing, and the customer freaked out and told me it was an irreplacible item and it was a 100$ ...........Thank god the sticker in the bottom said 19.99 walmart..................she was pissed but she paid
Anything that is a 100 dollars is replaceable IMO

funny story.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy472 View Post
That story belongs in the old Saturday Evening Post's "the perfect squelch"

It's amazing what people try to pull over on us. Sure, it ain't good to break anything, put pleeeeease. How can you respect a person who lies like that.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #18
Renegade Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
That story belongs in the old Saturday Evening Post's "the perfect squelch"

It's amazing what people try to pull over on us. Sure, it ain't good to break anything, put pleeeeease. How can you respect a person who lies like that.
You can't. Accidents sometimes do happen, and if anything is damaged we fess up to it and offer to repair, replace, or reimburse. If I have to question a homeowners purported said value, I have no problem in asking for a purchase receipt or where the item was purchased if they dont have a receipt. If they can remember a purchase price I feel they can remember where it was purchased. It's happened a couple of times where the owner claimed some outlandish price, no receipt, but claimed some high end store where it was puchased. Took the damaged item to the store only to find out they have never carried nor sold said item. I have no respect or patience for those type of people.

Tags
None