Websites? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View dercy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Websites?

I'm just gonna throw this one out there. Might sound a stupid question to you guys but in Ireland the majority of painters don't have websites so my question is do everyone of you guys have a website and is it a major advertising tool for ye?
dercy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View dubinpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Honestly I donít even consider a painting company without a website my competition!
From a customerís stand point how are you supposed to follow up on a company and read about the services they offer and the things they do without a website? If no one else in your area has one thatís an even better reason for you to make oneÖ.Stand out from your competitors. 30% of all your leads should be from online resources.
dubinpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

90% of my non-referral leads come from my website.

65% of Ireland's population, about 3M people, use the internet. That to me looks like you can dominate by being one of the first service companies in your area to have a website.
http://www.internetworldstats.com/eu/ie.htm

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
RGordon (12-11-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I think Mistcoat might have a good perspective on this.
A lot depends on the way your area/target market uses the internet. In my area (rural, population 40k), my website does very little, even though it dominates local searches, the few hits I get tell me people are not using the internet to search for painters.
Look at someone like pressurepros (in a highly populated urban area), who gets many calls and website hits/rfq daily.

I think you should still have a site either way, if only to use as a way to show your work to HO's.

So while it may or may not be a major advertising tool, there are other benefits, like Dubin stated.

That being said, there are guys here that do very well with no website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #5

Chris brings up a great point. I have heard others in rural areas say the same thing. Eventually they will catch up with the more urban markets so Chris is positioned for that. It also depends on what type of work you do. I do not get many commercial leads. those have to be generated the old fashioned way by cold calling and knocking on doors.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
View Michigan11's Photo Album My Photos

No website here believe it or not, and yeah I now feel behind the times... I'm not the most tech savy but over the winter the plan is to get one up and running. Definitely a good idea to have one.
Michigan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Still waiting to see if this "internet thing" is going to take off......

Seriously, I don't have one, but its number one on my "to-do list" this winter. I'm actually kind of embarresed I don't. We have been in buisness for 27 years next month, so we have a good customer base that has gotten us through these slow economic times. But I'm always open to generating more leads from new sources....
Paradigmzz (12-11-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #8

I guessed as much they would be the answers I'd get back but thanks you really helped. It's diffenatly a no brainer I have to get one up and running as soon as possible. I know you guys work with dollars and I'm with the euro but how much did ye guys pay for your websites. I'm just back from a graphic designer and he has listed prices from 500 euro up to 2000 euro
Old 12-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dercy View Post
I guessed as much they would be the answers I'd get back but thanks you really helped. It's diffenatly a no brainer I have to get one up and running as soon as possible. I know you guys work with dollars and I'm with the euro but how much did ye guys pay for your websites. I'm just back from a graphic designer and he has listed prices from 500 euro up to 2000 euro
Uh-oh, a "how much" question!

Really, you get what you pay for. You can create a quick DIY website on GoDaddy for about $10 a month, pay a few hundred a month for a complete package that does SEO, newsletters, etc. or even use the free sites out there like Google sites or like this one I made on web.com, or hire someone for a few grand to just build it, we have all of the above and more here!

It depends on your skills and whether it is worth it your time to do it yourself or hire it out.
Look at other trade related sites in your area and find ones you like, you can usually find the link to the sitebuilder, or just email the business and ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #10

I think the way to go is just to hire a guy to do it for me..if I did it myself I would spend hours after hours on it just to decide that it's not good enough and hire a guy anyway haha. Thanks anyway
Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
Still waiting to see if this "internet thing" is going to take off......

:thum bup:

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
Schmidt & Co. (12-11-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dercy View Post
I think the way to go is just to hire a guy to do it for me..if I did it myself I would spend hours after hours on it just to decide that it's not good enough and hire a guy anyway haha. Thanks anyway
I would say this would be the right decision.But don't just go with the first "designer" you come across...many say they are.Few really are.

Check them out well.Look at some of the sites they've created.Call those customers,not just the ones they want you to.Do a search on them.

You will be miles ahead of your competion. Once completed tell everyone to go there.All your potential customers. It should be your business card.

Last edited by aaron61; 12-11-2010 at 06:25 PM..
aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #13

Yea great points really....thanks alot for the heads up much appreciated
Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #14
old enough?

Rewards Points: 79
View admirableptg's Photo Album My Photos

I read your other post about newspaper adds and think that websites are by far the most cost effective way to generate quality leads. I have freinds that spend 3K and more on newsaper advertising a year with realative success. On the other hand once your site is up and running, the monthly hosting cost is very little. This is what works for us, and adds a level of credibility to your buisness. Would also agree that its better to have a pro do your design. Preferably a designer that has some understanding of your feild. Good luck as they are few and far between.
admirableptg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #15

www.footbridgemedia.com. They focus on contractor websites, have a firm understanding of SEO and seem to right decent selling copy. They can also do videos, blogs and all the extras that make a website rank and a company's digital profile more complete.

The nice thing about using an American company is the exchange rate. A decent site can be $2000 which is going to be around 1,500 Euro. I think Footbridge leases their sites which may cost you 100 Euro per month.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,922
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
www.footbridgemedia.com. They focus on contractor websites, have a firm understanding of SEO and seem to right decent selling copy. They can also do videos, blogs and all the extras that make a website rank and a company's digital profile more complete.

The nice thing about using an American company is the exchange rate. A decent site can be $2000 which is going to be around 1,500 Euro. I think Footbridge leases their sites which may cost you 100 Euro per month.

Yeap they are working on mine currently and are great to work with , Bikerboy recomended them to me so maybe he can chime in and give them a plug as well
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
Yeap they are working on mine currently and are great to work with , Bikerboy recomended them to me so maybe he can chime in and give them a plug as well
It's about time Dave!

They have done five websites for us.
They are great to work with.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Z For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (12-12-2010)
Old 12-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
It's about time Dave!

They have done five websites for us.
They are great to work with.
They were the first people I contacted. Unfortunatley, they already had another painting contractor in my area.........
Old 12-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #19
Exterior Restoration

Rewards Points: 150
View Pressure Cleaning's Photo Album My Photos

Here is alink to a resource in your area. http://www.websitesireland.ie/
Pressure Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Personally, I don't study it in detail still as much as you folks, but since building my website and getting it out there by hook or by crook, I am hearing more of my new customers saying they got my name of Google Maps etc.

Get yourself a site and get it out there, dercy. Like Dubin says, they're not really competiton if they haven't got a website. Apart from the quality of their work.
Not many painters over in the UK have www's still. Only savvy ones!

Get ahead now and get a site built. I got my domain thru 1and1.co.uk and I built my site with the software they sent me which is only Net ObjectsFusion. I think I did okay building it considering I'd never built a site before

Anyway, dercy. You need to listen to the words of the wise in here. They helped my no end
Check out any posts with the words 'Facebook', 'YouTube' 'SEO' in them.

Thanks for bringing me in on this Chris (with my little knowledge) but should Colour Republic log in, he's the UK Daddy to talk web stuff

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None