Websites--do they bring in business - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 190
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Post Websites--do they bring in business

Hi,
Wondering what others' experiences with company websites has been. I am considering making a website for my company. I realize that most people no longer go to the yellow pages or telephone book to find service companies. But, wondering if creating a website will really help me bring in business.

And, for those that have had success, what kind of website have you used?
Have to created something elaborate or something simple? Right now I am considering going with the simple, basic information and some pics of my work.

Peter
Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502
View South-FL-Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter
Hi,
Wondering what others' experiences with company websites has been. I am considering making a website for my company. I realize that most people no longer go to the yellow pages or telephone book to find service companies. But, wondering if creating a website will really help me bring in business.

Have to created something elaborate or something simple? Right now I am considering going with the simple, basic information and some pics of my work.

Peter
Hi,

There is literally 100's of threads here about that,use a search button,you will find lots of info.
South-FL-Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to South-FL-Painter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 10,210
Thanked 15,353 Times in 8,040 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Peter - Good thread.

While at first glance this may be viewed as one of those, "Well duh...!", kind of post, I too would like to have some updated information about how people honestly feel about the value of their websites. I'm at the crossroads of deciding whether to take that step with the idea that more leads will come in allowing me to be a bit more choosy or to let things continue as they are. Some good feedback and discussion of the pros and cons would be very welcome.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Pro: 99% of non-referral leads come from my website. Keeps 5-6 crews running 6 days per week all season.

Con: I have to shell out $120 per year to keep it going.

There are no downsides. People are not using flyers and direct mail to find painters. (those can inspire someone to act on a passing desire they have had to repaint). They are out searching the web. With that being said, just having a website is like having a great restaurant at the top of Mount Everest. It has to be accessible when people search for a painter. (Google/Search ranking)

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Pete Martin the Painter (02-10-2013), RH (02-10-2013), vividpainting (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 164
View vividpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Its definitely a necessity in my case as well. The majority of my work comes from them. Its the most cost effective and the most efficient. It lets people learn alot about your company, see pictures and read articles etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vividpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vividpainting For This Useful Post:
Pete Martin the Painter (02-10-2013), RH (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

So far I would say 25% of our web advertising comes from our website 25% from our Facebook page We do have things like Angies list but haven't had it that long and no work generated from those yet.and the rest is pretty much people just asking for a business card while we are at a job working.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aaron61 For This Useful Post:
Damon T (02-11-2013), Schmidt & Co. (02-11-2013), straight_lines (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,076
Thanked 1,311 Times in 724 Posts
View Rcon's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Hi,

Peter
A basic site is better than no site, in most cases.

A nice site will "help" you to sell yourself, but it won't do all the work for you. It's only a small part of the marketing package. But an essential one.

Don't do it yourself. Trust me.
Rcon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rcon For This Useful Post:
daArch (02-10-2013), Pete Martin the Painter (02-10-2013), Reyes#520 (02-13-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcon View Post

Don't do it yourself. Trust me.
UNLESS you are an OCD masochist with a last name of Archibald

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
PressurePros (02-10-2013), Rcon (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
RePaintFlorida.com

Rewards Points: 294
Thanked 2,714 Times in 1,012 Posts
View Repaint Florida's Photo Album My Photos

Here's my view of having a website

I think the first thing everyone thinks is google ... first page listing will bring you a lot of work. I don't disagree with this but there is more to having a website

Let me start here, say i am painting a house in a neighborhood and people see my sign in the yard. Ok they see my work going on, they see my painters but what else do they know about my company ... NOTHING

now if my sign has a website the can look at they can learn i've been painting for 30 years, they know i paint interior - exterior, paint pool decks, fences, do drywall repair, they see pictures of our work, read about all my services, the area we work in and much more and many more things about my company that a yard sign never told them

In my opinion a website is a must have, it doubles the value of your business card when it has a website on , make you look more professional and a good easy to remember name really helps. How many people do you think will remember your phone number on your truck at a red light? A good website name they'll remember.

Who knows ... some day this internet thing could take off & get big kinda like the 8 track in the 70's
Orlando, Fl 32837
Repaint Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Repaint Florida For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (02-10-2013), Pete Martin the Painter (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150
View Red Truck's Photo Album My Photos

Nicely said. But I agree this internet thing won't last

We keep busy from website leads. Extremely important for leads and for our company image.

I suggest you keep in mind that you must get google to notice your site. This is done through creating dozens of listings on other websites (like manta.com for example.) And you will need to create lots of good content, good keywords, and good links. It will take lots of time, but it will pay off if done right. There is a ton to learn on this forum. Just try searching for SEO for starters.

You will likely need to pay for online advertising to get a good return. Remember..... A man who stops advertising to save money is like a man who stops a clock to save time. Henry Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaint Florida View Post
Here's my view of having a website

I think the first thing everyone thinks is google ... first page listing will bring you a lot of work. I don't disagree with this but there is more to having a website

Let me start here, say i am painting a house in a neighborhood and people see my sign in the yard. Ok they see my work going on, they see my painters but what else do they know about my company ... NOTHING

now if my sign has a website the can look at they can learn i've been painting for 30 years, they know i paint interior - exterior, paint pool decks, fences, do drywall repair, they see pictures of our work, read about all my services, the area we work in and much more and many more things about my company that a yard sign never told them

In my opinion a website is a must have, it doubles the value of your business card when it has a website on , make you look more professional and a good easy to remember name really helps. How many people do you think will remember your phone number on your truck at a red light? A good website name they'll remember.

Who knows ... some day this internet thing could take off & get big kinda like the 8 track in the 70's
Red Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Truck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

A google search of my company name we pop up as the number one hit, that is our Fb page, our website I still have yet to see on Google search first 3 pages. I agree with the others pay some one to build it for you, I am using Vistaprint for ours and I admit I have slacked off on it since mid summer, between painting and my Ebay I haven't had time to keep up with both FB and the website, we also are getting all of our signage and business cards re done with the website and FB page addresses.
South-FL-Painter (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
A google search of my company name we pop up as the number one hit, that is our Fb page, our website I still have yet to see on Google search first 3 pages. I agree with the others pay some one to build it for you, I am using Vistaprint for ours and I admit I have slacked off on it since mid summer, between painting and my Ebay I haven't had time to keep up with both FB and the website, we also are getting all of our signage and business cards re done with the website and FB page addresses.
sure, if you search for your name you pop up. But Jane Homeowner in Ipswich don't know your name, so she searches for "Essex County MA House Painter". or "House Painter, Ipswich MA" and you do not exist.

Now, to prove a point, let's say Jane lives in Milton and needs a paperhanger so she searches for "paperhanger Milton MA"

try it and tell me what you see.

If the search engines can't find WHAT (not WHO) the potential customer is looking for, why bother with a web site ?

at least that is my opinion.

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #14
King Dude

Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,862 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch

sure, if you search for your name you pop up. But Jane Homeowner in Ipswich don't know your name, so she searches for "Essex County MA House Painter". or "House Painter, Ipswich MA" and you do not exist.

Now, to prove a point, let's say Jane lives in Milton and needs a paperhanger so she searches for "paperhanger Milton MA"

If the search engines can't find WHAT (not WHO) the potential customer is looking for, why bother with a web site ?

I see google domination!

Just to be fair, you have WAY less competition as a paper hanger as opposed a painter.

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
daArch (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
I see google domination!

Just to be fair, you have WAY less competition as a paper hanger as opposed a painter.
I absolutely agree, and I feel fortunate.

HOWEVER, before I got aggressive I did not dominate.

"Are we having fun yet"
Rbriggs82 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
King Dude

Quote:

I gotta tip my hat to you. Having the top four results in google is no easy task no matter what key words are used.

|
|
|

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
daArch (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
I gotta tip my hat to you. Having the top four results in google is no easy task no matter what key words are used.
It's not the key words as much as a separate unique page for every town that I want to market. I studied what Footbridge does and tweaked for my use.

I think I have about 50 town specific pages.

see what back surgery recovery can do for one's marketing strategy

"Are we having fun yet"
Damon T (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
RH

Rewards Points: 10,210
Thanked 15,353 Times in 8,040 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post

Bill - You should make that your new sig line. Then we could all have a good laugh.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
daArch (02-10-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #19
King Dude

Quote:

It's not the key words as much as a separate unique page for every town that I want to market. I studied what Footbridge does and tweaked for my use.

I think I have about 50 town specific pages.

see what back surgery recovery can do for one's marketing strategy
Yea I did the same.

I see you wrote a different page for each one, not an easy task!

I made four different ones a while ago and haven't gotten around to doing the rest. They are all copies of one another with the cities name changed. Your right you do need to recover from surgery to have that kind of time.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post

I did the search and saw some guy named Bill Archibald dominating Google search, I did not know it was you until I read these posts I knew your name is Bill but that was it lol. I do agree a name search is how I am found not just a general House Painter search, This is why I need to pay some one to do our website over. Stuff like this I would never consider adding myself.
daArch (02-11-2013)

Tags
None