Who has their kid working for them? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lilpaintchic

Old 12-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 165
View nogg's Photo Album My Photos
Default Who has their kid working for them?

My son has worked for me for 3 years now.Before he started I was one man shop.Currently it is just him and I and likely will remain that way.I pay him an hourly wage and he is capable of doing basic painting work on his own and doing it well.I would like to get him to the point of making a decent living out of this and realize that in order to make him salary he would need to basically put in as much time and energy as I do.I am curious as to how others have paid their kids and made the transition to making them a bigger part of the company and also getting them some good pay after time.
nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nogg For This Useful Post:
casey_smith2 (02-02-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Both of my kids worked with us. It was mostly in summers while they were in college or between college and grad school. They got paid hourly wages on the books.

They've both gone on to white-collar professions, but I think they learned some valuable lessons working with us.
MIZZOU (12-26-2015), nogg (02-14-2016), PremierPaintingMa (02-05-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2
View casey_smith2's Photo Album My Photos
Default Making the transition from 1st generation to 2nd generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogg View Post
My son has worked for me for 3 years now.Before he started I was one man shop.Currently it is just him and I and likely will remain that way.I pay him an hourly wage and he is capable of doing basic painting work on his own and doing it well.I would like to get him to the point of making a decent living out of this and realize that in order to make him salary he would need to basically put in as much time and energy as I do.I am curious as to how others have paid their kids and made the transition to making them a bigger part of the company and also getting them some good pay after time.
My dad started Smith & Sons Painting in 1990 in Palmer, AK. My two brothers and I grew up painting in the family business. I am the middle son, graduated college with a business degree, got tired of working for other people and decided to take control of my future. June of 2015 I went in to business with my dad and made the business an LLC, with plans to grow the business. We are able to both take an hourly wage(according to work output) then at the end of the year we will take a percentage distribution of the profit. Ownership % and distribution % can change each year as I take on a bigger role in the business and my dad nears retirement.
casey_smith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to casey_smith2 For This Useful Post:
nogg (02-14-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 80
View gpainting's Photo Album My Photos

In the summer I like to take my son on some jobs with me, usually the more laid back ones, he is only 8yrs old - I don't force him to work he just likes to go with me, mostly playing games on his tablet - but sometimes he will grab some things for me, I ask him if he is going to work with dad when he gets older, he says no way! If anything he has learned the names of the tools

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 42
View HD painting's Photo Album My Photos

My son is 2.5 yrs old. Few more years to go before he can run a festool haha. The Amish framing crews I see onsite bring some young helpers like 12-14. Not sure how legal it is...
Looking forward to teaching my kid the skills I learned but unlike myself is lie him to at least finish college regardless if he takes up painting.
HD painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HD painting For This Useful Post:
6126 (02-05-2016), PremierPaintingMa (02-05-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,920 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogg View Post
I'm a son that started off hourly and made the transition to owner. I worked hourly with him for a long time and learned the ins and outs of the business and it was run. When it came time I took 50% ownership and a lot more responsibility. I handle all the marketing, every customer interaction from start to finish, scheduling, and ordering supplies. We both price and type up estimates depending on who looked at the job, and if we both did he writes up the proposal.

He handles all the business licenses (we need one for each town we work in and pay a percentage of each job to each town/county) insurance, vehicle maintenance, bookkeeping, and pays the bills. It's pretty equal imo and has worked out well for us. My end is more stressful but he put in his time dealing with that stuff so I don't care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (02-03-2016), nogg (02-14-2016), PremierPaintingMa (02-05-2016), SemiproJohn (02-03-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD painting View Post
My son is 2.5 yrs old. Few more years to go before he can run a festool haha. The Amish framing crews I see onsite bring some young helpers like 12-14. Not sure how legal it is...
Looking forward to teaching my kid the skills I learned but unlike myself is lie him to at least finish college regardless if he takes up painting.
My son just turned 11. We painted his room together when he was 6. I rarely get a situation where I can bring him on a job, so it's usually something at my place or his Mother's.
Attached Thumbnails
Who has their kid working for them?-thomas-masking-1.jpg  

Who has their kid working for them?-thomas-masking-3.jpg  

Who has their kid working for them?-thomas-caulking.jpg  

Who has their kid working for them?-thomas-painter-10.jpg  

Who has their kid working for them?-thomas-brush-5.jpg  

Who has their kid working for them?-thomas-rolling2.jpg  

6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-11-2016), George Z (02-11-2016), Gymschu (02-28-2016), PremierPaintingMa (02-05-2016), rml63 (02-07-2016), SemiproJohn (02-11-2016), thinkpainting/nick (02-05-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

I hired one of mine on the books then fired him a couple of months later. Lol
Ahh the joys of parenting....
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,888
Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,140 Posts
View George Z's Photo Album My Photos

I don't have my kids working but many people think they are my kids. How can I have eight 25+yr old kids that don't even look like me? I hope they don't think our 40 year olds are my kids too. Getting older.
My real daughter? I tried the Mike P's thing but she escaped

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:21 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 16
View Campbell Gorrie's Photo Album My Photos

If it were me, I'd probably cut the hourly wage and throw him a contact instead. This way he gets paid on performance, you don't have to pay him till the jobs done plus when he gets good he could he could always sub contract out work at an hourly wage in the future.

I don't have any kids working for me but I did work for my dad painting many years ago and I wish he gave me an opportunity like sub contracting from him. I know I would have really appreciated it.
Campbell Gorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Campbell Gorrie For This Useful Post:
nogg (02-14-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

When he's home he works for me has since a kid. But he's usully on the road
Now he's riding for Flip and Supra shoes I think lol.

thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 110
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
I hired one of mine on the books then fired him a couple of months later. Lol
Ahh the joys of parenting....
I can relate lilpaintchic. My son lasted a couple of summers. At first he did well. Then, maybe seeing how tough painting can be, he started showing up late, couldn't find the job site, came back late from lunch, etc. Finally, I had to give up on him helping with any high end jobs. I stuck him with apartment repaints. It took him a week to do ONE room in an apt. That was the end.......
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (02-29-2016), Wildbill7145 (02-28-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 12:17 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

My biggest problem with him was a disrespectful attitude and insubordination. He just couldn't separate work from home. So I did it for him. He wanted to argue about tasks and such....I gave him fair warning but it wasn't fair to the other guys on the crew and I wasn't going to allow it. The other guys really liked him but the attitude just lacked professionalism on the job...eh--he's gotta learn the hard way. He's been struggling ever since....it's tough as a parent to learn how to let em struggle...
Radman likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
PRC (02-29-2016), Rbriggs82 (02-29-2016), thinkpainting/nick (02-29-2016)

Tags
None