Why hire a pro? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Why hire a pro?

I want to write a piece to put into my proposals titled "why hire a pro"

Could we come up with some examples/reasons collectively? I think this would also be a good marketing tool/exorcise for sales.

I came up with this idea today because as I was driving around I saw 2, possibly 3 houses with BRAND NEW ladders propped up on them and work being done on their houses. No crews around, no yard signs.. nothing but the ladders out without a speck of any dirt on them. Okay maybe the crew was at lunch? Well maaaaybe. But how many of us would leave our ladders unattended and still on the house when we were not there? Well later on tonight (dark30) these ladders were still there. HOMEOWNER.

So I thought.. huh when I have been in SW lately it has been REALLY busy with Sally and Joe Homeowner buying paint and asking questions. Great.

So how do we convince them they need us?

1.) From years of experience we have been able to test out different methods and have seen what the results have been. We have tested untold amounts of product and know which products to use for different situations... How to handle each situation and know what it needs.

your turn...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

I like to give a visual!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #3

haha chris you suck! Stealing my ideas and all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Here is something I put on my site a few years ago. Rereading it now I think I overdid it with the scare tactics. If it gives you any ideas feel free to use any portion of it and apply it to your trade.

http://www.pressure-pros.com/index/F...ould_Know.html

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (07-18-2009)
Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 164
View The Painter Guy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP View Post
Nice site! Do you put a printed version of that in your proposal?
Jim
The Painter Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #6

When I have to leave a proposal without a sales presentation, here is a piece of literature I leave with it. On the back is a checklist. Let me know if you cannot read the text or want to see the back side of the sheet.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nEighter View Post
I want to write a piece to put into my proposals titled "why hire a pro"

Could we come up with some examples/reasons collectively? I think this would also be a good marketing tool/exorcise for sales.

I came up with this idea today because as I was driving around I saw 2, possibly 3 houses with BRAND NEW ladders propped up on them and work being done on their houses. No crews around, no yard signs.. nothing but the ladders out without a speck of any dirt on them. Okay maybe the crew was at lunch? Well maaaaybe. But how many of us would leave our ladders unattended and still on the house when we were not there? Well later on tonight (dark30) these ladders were still there. HOMEOWNER.

So I thought.. huh when I have been in SW lately it has been REALLY busy with Sally and Joe Homeowner buying paint and asking questions. Great.

So how do we convince them they need us?

1.) From years of experience we have been able to test out different methods and have seen what the results have been. We have tested untold amounts of product and know which products to use for different situations... How to handle each situation and know what it needs.

your turn...
Good question nEighter! While driving yesterday I saw similar situation where ladders were all over house, on roof's etc and no-one around. I have also been thinking abought writing something on why hire a pro, hope your thread helps. One idea comes to mind though do you qualify what a pro is?
Jim
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
When I have to leave a proposal without a sales presentation, here is a piece of literature I leave with it. On the back is a checklist. Let me know if you cannot read the text or want to see the back side of the sheet.

I like this alot and see how it could be used as a model for painting. I would like to see the back side checklist. Thank you
Jim
Old 07-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

This is from PDCA http://www.pdca.org/consumers/hiringcontractors.htm

Last edited by aaron61; 07-18-2009 at 08:06 AM..
aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #10

Here ya go, Jim.

The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
The Painter Guy (07-19-2009)
Old 07-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
RCP

Thanks Ken! I like the check boxes, great example of a comparison sheet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Painter Guy View Post
Nice site! Do you put a printed version of that in your proposal?
Jim
Thanks, yes I do. Rob's razor sharp cut lines are a big selling point for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron61 View Post
That is a good link.
I just put up that page on my site, I do want to enhance it a little. I "collect" other painter's websites for ideas, here are a few.
Just a reminder though, these are for ideas, please do not copy and paste and use on your site.

Contractor Selection Tips

Finding A Contractor

Apples to Apples

Code of Ethics

Paint Quality Institute

Last edited by RCP; 07-18-2009 at 08:53 AM..
Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

These are some great tools, thanks guys for sharing.

nEighter,

DO you have to be licensed in your state? If so, you can point out that you are, others may not be, and why isn't that company licensed. (don't know how to phrase that)

In Maryland there is a general fund that license fees go into. If you are found by the state top have performed shoddy substandard work, the state will re-imburse the homeowner up to $15,0000. Kind of an extra insurance policy.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
RCP

Good Point BB! We have same type of fund. Ours is more of a Lein Recovery fund, not substandard work. That is a good selling point "If you don't use a licensed contractor you cannot collect". Also point out the pitfalls of an uninsured worker on your property.
I use this. I have actually sat down with a customer and compared another proposal with mine!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #14

BB there is no licensing for painting . None, I have checked.

Thanks guys BB, Aaron, Chris, Ken, TPG! I was thinking it would be a darn shame if someone stole the ladders or even if the wind caught them and they ended up having a 2.5 story tall bent ladder! Or a new modern art project called "shattered glass" or "ladder window".

One of the houses had been sprayed which leads me to believe they are now buying pumps to do their work.. not that you have to be a scientist rocket to use a pump.. but...

Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
RCP

Quote:
BB there is no licensing for painting . None, I have checked.

Thanks guys BB, Aaron, Chris, Ken, TPG! I was thinking it would be a darn shame if someone stole the ladders or even if the wind caught them and they ended up having a 2.5 story tall bent ladder! Or a new modern art project called "shattered glass" or "ladder window".

One of the houses had been sprayed which leads me to believe they are now buying pumps to do their work.. not that you have to be a scientist rocket to use a pump.. but...
LOL, haven't you seen the commercials, "Let Sherwin Williams show you", you can rent a rig there or the orange box.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #16

orange box? Nope. See that is why SW is so busy nowadays. They always tell me they are not yet I go into this store by my place and it is always full of people.. h/o and I have to wait for them to explain how paint works before they can get me what I need

Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Hey just a thought, We can rent out our sprayers and undercut SW.
This a great thread!
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
orange box? Nope. See that is why SW is so busy nowadays. They always tell me they are not yet I go into this store by my place and it is always full of people.. h/o and I have to wait for them to explain how paint works before they can get me what I need
wait, how does paint work? I don't think they ever told me.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #19
RCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Hey just a thought, We can rent out our sprayers and undercut SW.
This a great thread!
Guy Rob used to work for tried that!
www. colorcountrypainting.com/owner-builder.html

Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

haha I was thinking of offering that service. Seems like easy money . . .
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None