Winter work? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 11-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 660
View Stretch67's Photo Album My Photos
Default Winter work?

Hey all, I tried searching.

Just looking for ideas for who we could market towards to keep busy in the winter. We don't do residential. We have always planned on being a little slow in the winter, but it would be nice if we could keep a few guys going.

We spent the entire exterior season selling our own work in the industrial market, and that went pretty good. Now we need to find some prospects for interior work. We are working with a marketing agency, and trying to narrow down to a specific niche or topic that we can market to.

So far we're thinking:

Medical facilities (hospital, clinic, dentist, nursing home, assisted living)
Auto service shops
Hollow metal door frames
Municipal utilities

Each has their pro's and cons.... how do you guys keep busy? What are some specific markets or industries that are in constant need of maintenance painting? Thanks!

p.s. anyone familiar with The Academy for Professional Painting Contractors?
http://www.paintersacademy.com/winte...-and-painters/

Last edited by Stretch67; 11-13-2015 at 12:51 PM..
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Why not residential? Lots of people want their place painted before Xmas.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
Why not residential? Lots of people want their place painted before Xmas.
Well lotsa diff reasons.... just something that we have never done... Don't have the experience and at this point not interested in re-training our staff on how to cut a straight line on the edge of the shower stall. we are big heavy equipment painter. Takes a whole different mentality. And most HO are not prepared to peel em off fast enough to cover OH for someone like us. We need to be working with 'before tax' money.

We have done a LOT of misc commercial repaint stuff. Car dealerships, manufacturing facilities, apartments, food processing, etc etc etc, but are trying to just pick something and actually launch a campaign towards it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch67 For This Useful Post:
Gough (11-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

How about narrowing the commercial repaints to retail. Big box stores, grocery, hardware, clothing, malls, etc. Although certainly not a LOT of steady work from any one of these, specializing in and marketing to the genre may be a decent niche.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Stretch67 (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

The Academy...Am I alone in thinking I should quit painting and start up an online company charging painters to tell them how to paint?

I'll use terms like "disrupt" and "profitability" to sell my $300 programs.

That should get scared painters who are failing, through the "e-doors", no?

Is "webinar" still being used in 2015?
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
The Academy...Am I alone in thinking I should quit painting and start up an online company charging painters to tell them how to paint?

I'll use terms like "disrupt" and "profitability" to sell my $300 programs.

That should get scared painters who are failing, through the "e-doors", no?

Is "webinar" still being used in 2015?
Did you try it? Yeah yeah I know there are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there. But if the guy actually did grow a business from nothing to 20 guys in about 5 years, profitably, and sold for $440k, well then I'd be interested in talking shop with em.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 680
View matt19422's Photo Album My Photos

Residential markets differ... most residential around here stops thanksgiving to new years. People decorate, entertain, budget money for holiday spending. They typically don't want anyone in there house

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interior & Exterior Painting Serving Montgomery, Delaware & Chester Counties in Pennsylvania
matt19422 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matt19422 For This Useful Post:
Dave Mac (11-13-2015), Wildbill7145 (11-21-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:45 AM   #8
Troy

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Christmas Light Installer

I keep busy doing Christmas Light Installations. Back in 1998-1999 when I first got my painting biz rolling, it was the only way I could keep 4-5 guys busy in the winter. Fast forward 17 years...90% or higher return rate on average, great money if you can handle the hustle and dealing with the elements, last of the new installs done usually Dec 10th, then just random maintenance calls in the event anything goes wrong. Jan 2 we take em down, (and offer gutter cleaning service at that time), done by Jan 8th, take the rest of Jan off and most of Feb. I love it. Great change of pace, and many of the holiday light custies turn into painting custies, and vice-versa.

https://www.facebook.com/TroyTheChristmasLightGuy/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
CApainter (11-14-2015), I paint paint (11-14-2015), SemiproJohn (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:47 AM   #9
RH

Rewards Points: 5,696
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt19422 View Post
Residential markets differ... most residential around here stops thanksgiving to new years. People decorate, entertain, budget money for holiday spending. They typically don't want anyone in there house
When we decided to restart the company seven years ago I figured we would take most of December off for the reasons you mentioned above. It hasn't happened yet. People moving out of a house or moving in, people gone during the holidays, or those who just don't observe them have kept us busy through Decembers every year.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (11-14-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,068
View richmondpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceraisanen View Post

Did you try it? Yeah yeah I know there are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there. But if the guy actually did grow a business from nothing to 20 guys in about 5 years, profitably, and sold for $440k, well then I'd be interested in talking shop with em.
I'm looking into working with the Painters academy. Just don't have the money at the moment. Also haven't heard any real feed back from anyone who has used the program.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
richmondpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

That's a brutal market here and it's pretty much owned by CP and couple other low ball painting company's. We jus lost a nice job doing the work you seek . The scope was office space including metal doe frames, walls, some metal machine racks inside there plant floor. It was a nice winter job. We got beat by 2 other PC"s by 50 percent that's right 50 percent. The winner was CP who markets heavily on radio and direct mail to property managers. They use mostly all subs and illegals that's just a fact.

I still market to a niche client as we like that type of work as well but it's not gonna be easy to find a willing PM. It's 90 percent low bid but there's always the select few that want a professional job.

Excuse my grammar and spelling I write like I talk which is to fast and with my hands. Lol

We have a list we send a mailer to but it's gotta get in the right hands. Also allot is night or weekend work. You can buy a list as DM still works at least to direct them to your website or phone number.

Last edited by thinkpainting/nick; 11-21-2015 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Grammar
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
CApainter (11-21-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 42
View AGpainting's Photo Album My Photos

i do a lot of commercial work during these times. specifically retail. if they have a surplus at the end of the quarter they will want to spend it on renovations/maintenance, which means work for painters.
AGpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None