Your SW Pricing. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree29Likes

Old 07-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 58
Thanked 8,619 Times in 4,016 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos
Default Your SW Pricing.

You bust your butt day in and day out. You spend a lot of money at the paint stores. You gotta keep on what they're charging you and any increases. You see the 40% off sales. Funny that they don't apply to you. Funnier still is that in some cases the sale prices are less than what you would pay.

Yesterday SW published that their shares had increased in value [email protected]
They also showed total sales of $488 billion. (Though to be honest they were projecting about $10 billion more.)

Keep that in mind the next time you see a price increase. Keep that in mind the next time you see a 40% off sale that you can't take advantage of. Don't buy their product. Buy their stock lol.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,150
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

If you buy their stock, you help them grow... Nope, and Nope.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,392
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

So you buy B.M stock or PPG stock. I hate the 40% sales at S/W as much as the next guy but how come nobody bitch's as much when the other guys raise their prices or has a sale. They are all big companies whose main loyalty is to the shareholder. It's not like S/W is the mean stepmother and B.M. is the fairy godmother they are all the same.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 58
Thanked 8,619 Times in 4,016 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Well I do have stock in BM, sorta.

BM was always known for high prices. We had one store here for a while that gave no discounts whatsoever. All their contractor paint mix records were kept on 3x5" cards. Their interior designer portion of the store was larger than the paint section at that time. They went out of business needless to say. For quite some time the only way to get BM paints was to either drive 60 miles to another city or go to Ace Hardware.

PPG here was good. We also had a regional paint store that had very good quality paint. Diamond Vogel, based out of Orange City, Iowa. I really liked their stuff and their sheens were dead on, unlike SW.

Personally, I don't own any SW stock and it has nothing to do with how they handle contractors and their other policies.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
You bust your butt day in and day out. You spend a lot of money at the paint stores. You gotta keep on what they're charging you and any increases. You see the 40% off sales. Funny that they don't apply to you. Funnier still is that in some cases the sale prices are less than what you would pay.

Yesterday SW published that their shares had increased in value [email protected]
They also showed total sales of $488 billion. (Though to be honest they were projecting about $10 billion more.)

Keep that in mind the next time you see a price increase. Keep that in mind the next time you see a 40% off sale that you can't take advantage of. Don't buy their product. Buy their stock lol.
Everything they do, they do only to make money for their stock holders. This is no different than any other company. If it seems like they do things with no regard to what their customers want, even the professional painters, you are correct. Then they advertise and market the hell out of themselves to replace pissed off customers. Nothing new. But it's nice to see a woke consumer point this out every once in a while.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 322
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Well I do have stock in BM, sorta.

BM was always known for high prices. We had one store here for a while that gave no discounts whatsoever. All their contractor paint mix records were kept on 3x5" cards. Their interior designer portion of the store was larger than the paint section at that time. They went out of business needless to say. For quite some time the only way to get BM paints was to either drive 60 miles to another city or go to Ace Hardware.

PPG here was good. We also had a regional paint store that had very good quality paint. Diamond Vogel, based out of Orange City, Iowa. I really liked their stuff and their sheens were dead on, unlike SW.

Personally, I don't own any SW stock and it has nothing to do with how they handle contractors and their other policies.
In my area there are 2 places to buy BM. The local Ace Hardware has sold BM for about 20 years. Go there and you are paying full price, contractor or HO. They do occasionally have a BM sponsored sale, like $5.00 or $10.00 off a gallon. They sell more of their Valspar made (I think Valspar still makes it) store label.

Then there is the BM dealer that's been around over 75 years. They offer a 15-20 % discount to contractors. Plus an additional 5% if you pay your bill within 10 days of receipt of monthly bill. That's a 20 + 5 discount, not 25%. It actually works out to about 23%. The only thing is, if a HO goes in the store and says "I'm painting my house, and will be buying a lot of paint. I'll need at least 6 gallons. Can I get a discount"...The dealer gives them 15% off. This drove the time and material guys nuts. They couldn't make money on the paint.

I have bought paint at SW during the 40 % off sale a few times. I never used a lot of SW. I just paid for the stuff at time of purchase to receive the discount. I didn't put it on my account. The guys at the store never said anything. One thing I did used to like about SW is they had a promotion for contractors where whatever you could fit in a 5 gal bucket was yours for $50.00 (A few exclusions, i.e. spray equipment). I would always grab brushes and carbide scrapers (there may have been a limit on number of scrapers, IDR). That was a pretty good deal.

Last edited by Lightningboy65; 07-26-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
In my area there are 2 places to buy BM. The local Ace Hardware has sold BM for about 20 years. Go there and you are paying full price, contractor or HO. They do occasionally have a BM sponsored sale, like $5.00 or $10.00 off a gallon. They sell more of their Valspar made (I think Valspar still makes it) store label.

Then there is the BM dealer that's been around over 75 years. They offer a 15-20 % discount to contractors. Plus an additional 5% if you pay your bill within 10 days of receipt of monthly bill. That's a 20 + 5 discount, not 25%. It actually works out to about 23%. The only thing is, if a HO goes in the store and says "I'm painting my house, and will be buying a lot of paint. I'll need at least 6 gallons. Can I get a discount"...The dealer gives them 15% off. This drove the time and material guys nuts. They couldn't make money on the paint.

I have bought paint at SW during the 40 % off sale a few times. I never used a lot of SW. I just paid for the stuff at time of purchase to receive the discount. I didn't put it on my account. The guys at the store never said anything. One thing I did used to like about SW is they had a promotion for contractors where whatever you could fit in a 5 gal bucket was yours for $50.00 (A few exclusions, i.e. spray equipment). I would always grab brushes and carbide scrapers (there may have been a limit on number of scrapers, IDR). That was a pretty good deal.
Not for long! It's already a done deal. Not announced to general public yet, but soon.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #8

what the heck? SW dropped my pricing! Now how am i going to compare prices?

Old 07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Not for long! It's already a done deal. Not announced to general public yet, but soon.
Valspar always made some pretty good paint for the money, if you knew which ones to pick. It sounds like since SW got a hold of them, that's changing.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,224
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Ace sold there Royal Interior and Cark+ Kensington lines a few ago to Valspar, Ace had their own factory and as far the Royal 5-star goes it was a great product, covered like a bear, was easy to work with, we had a client that supplied it for their work. https://www.hbsdealer.com/distributo...nt-department/

As far as SW goes, when I was contracting on my own I had an account with PPG, Glidden, and the biggest BM dealer in the area, never really used SW. One of the last outfits I worked for used quite a bit of SW products and he always told us it was cool with him to use his account to buy from SW, as long as we paid for it then and there. I've used his account many times with no problem from the SW help.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #11

I just ran across this article about SW's California lead settlement, saying it was an aberration and that any other states bringing action will be defended vigorously and aggressively by SW. https://www.hbsdealer.com/news/lead-...ia-settlement/
Old 07-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
I just ran across this article about SW's California lead settlement, saying it was an aberration and that any other states bringing action will be defended vigorously and aggressively by SW. https://www.hbsdealer.com/news/lead-...ia-settlement/
Well CA needs to pay for those programs somehow!

The court's ruling is ridiculous.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,354
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Ace sold there Royal Interior and Cark+ Kensington lines a few ago to Valspar...

Not any more

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 07-27-2019 at 03:30 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
Not any more
So your saying Ace bought it back?
Old 07-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #15

From what I can gather, Ace retained the C&K brand name and sold their manufacturing facilities to Valspar in 2013. Ace also signed a 20 year deal with Valspar to make C&K and other Ace branded paints. Perhaps that deal has been recently renegotiated, but everything I could find online indicates Valspar still makes C&K. The innnerwebs is always right, right???
Old 07-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
From what I can gather, Ace retained the C&K brand name and sold their manufacturing facilities to Valspar in 2013. Ace also signed a 20 year deal with Valspar to make C&K and other Ace branded paints. Perhaps that deal has been recently renegotiated, but everything I could find online indicates Valspar still makes C&K. The innnerwebs is always right, right???
Exactamundo, that's what that article I linked said! https://www.hbsdealer.com/distributo...nt-department/
Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 8
View juanvaldez's Photo Album My Photos

#1-Find and retain a good sales rep, constantly grind him about pricing, call him with questions, be ingenuitive and tell rep your ideas and product feedback, cross link your pricing with other stores, even big box stores, and let them know, be super friendly with your local store and employees.
These steps continue to work for me and Iíve been able to maintain good pricing, except samples used to be free now they are $3 oh well pass it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,354
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Quote:
Exactamundo, that's what that article I linked said! https://www.hbsdealer.com/distributo...nt-department/

SW/Valspar no longer manufacturers ace branded paints.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #19

Who makes it for them now?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 8
View ImPACman's Photo Album My Photos

Sherwin Williams is a monopoly!
ImPACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags