2nd coat sheen ugly! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sn0man

Old 09-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 38
View biggerman's Photo Album My Photos
Default 2nd coat sheen ugly!

Hey all, this is a problem I've had several times and I can't put my finger on it. It seems I can only get a great finish with (1) top coat. I apply a second coat and I get lines from where my overlap was. I spray with the same stuff, from the same gun, 4 hours later. No sanding in between

The photo on the top is my 1st coat. It has some orange peel but the sheen is consistent. The photo on the bottom is the second coat and you can see the sheen is broken up in some area's.

Is my problem that the paint is lifting in some areas but not others because the 1st coat hasn't cured enough?
Attached Thumbnails
2nd coat sheen ugly!-secondcoat.jpg  

2nd coat sheen ugly!-firstcoat.jpg  

biggerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,153 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

What kind of paint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #3

It doesn't seem to matter what paint I use. ive had this problem with KM water base products and SW. Something fundamental I'm not doing right. Should I be applying a super wet 2nd coat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,332
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerman View Post
Should I be applying a super wet 2nd coat?
yeah, might be putting it on too thin...
Vylum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,546
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Tint dries differently than the rest of the stuff in paint, esp dark colors. You are probably on the right track in letting it dry longer.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 450
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

What type of sprayer are you using? HVLP or turbine systems air supply (Turbine or compressor) produces WARM to HOT air and can create flashing like no other.

If your using an airless or equivalent it looks like your moving to fast or your passes arent over lapped enough. Your project looks like fine finish so make sure you have a NEW tip, your pump is at the right pressure for the tip (low pump pressure produces spray tails), and really watch the product go on and make sure your laps are even.

You should really sand in between coats to give better top coat finishes....
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #7

3sisters, i've posted this same problem here before about 8 some odd months ago. I had several suggestions and I've tried a few of them. I've never used an airless, but I bought one and tried it 8 months ago, what a mess I made. I've been using a 4 stage hvlp for all my projects and I like it for several reasons, so while trying to get a fine finish I'd rather use that instead of an airless.
The problem doesn't ever happen on my first top coat, only my second. So there are some things to rule out I would think. The paint seems to lay down nice and wet with my first coat but my second always has an inconsistent drying pattern. SO when I spray an even pattern, overlapping 50%, even at a steady pace, some area's will begin to dry faster than others. I can only assume that's because the first coat wasn't dry enough yet?
The only problem I have with only one coat is it's not durable enough for the cabinets that I make. I wonder if I should consider using pigmented lacquer instead of paint? My hvlp shoots a great lacquer finish. It dries fast and additional coats blend or melt into the previous coat. I think whats happening with paint is only some area's are "melting" into the previous coat while others are drying on top of that coat. I spray only water base products and I know, solvent/oil has a better finish but here in California.. well enough said.
Maybe 1 coat of BM advance paint and a coat of EM6000 water base lacquer over that for more durability OR straight pigmented lacquer? All I know is I can do better.

Last edited by biggerman; 09-14-2017 at 11:09 PM..
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #8
Red Seal

Rewards Points: 56
View Sn0man's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerman View Post
It doesn't seem to matter what paint I use. ive had this problem with KM water base products and SW. Something fundamental I'm not doing right. Should I be applying a super wet 2nd coat?
Spray cross hatch pattern. Use a wider tip. Keep the gun 10 - 12 inches away from the surface.

I've had those problems before many times - usually from having the gun too close to the surface, or the pressure too high.

Another trick if you're having problems is to give the 1st coat a full day to dry. That way it's not sucking the solvents out of your second coat and flashing where the coating is a bit thinner - which is probably the problem you're experiencing.
biggerman likes this.
Sn0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2
View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

Biggerman:. Have you solved your problem? The final coat has to be wet enough to float out and over a surface that does not impede the float. So I am in the camp of giving it some milage. A little flotrol may help. As far as the pics submitted you should be able to feel that with your hand. Dont even look at it and run your hand over it. I bet if you let that dry good and wet sand with 400 - 600 and float on final coat and let it dry horizontal you will see something you will be proud of. Either that or change to satin and it won't show as bad. You are correct it that it is a fundamental thing with spraying paint and waterboure lacquers. They dont melt into previous coats. The airless and AAA sprayers put out a lot more paint. Those of us that use hvlps to spray waterbourne paints have to adjust constantly. Might also stick with a particular product till you feel you have mastered it. The hvlp hot air and drying issues mentioned by others may be important to. Don't give up it will come to you.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Your air from the HVLP is causing the paint to flash at the edges so you'll see your over lap marks.

Only way to fix it. Either don't use an HVLP or put it on real heavy. If your spraying in a warm environment, your probably screwed because there's a good chance it'll flash faster than you can you can move and not put on enough material.

HVLPs are unfortunate creatures when it comes to "paint". Great for thin viscosity stuff or thinned paints, but not out of the can. When you thin you'll run into other issues. It's best to get an airless (which I know you said you tried and weren't too successful), but that's the best option for doors/trim. It's also much faster production rates was well. Half technique and half tip sizes/knowledge.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None