Acid staining concrete. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 270
View IHATE_HOMEDEPOT's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to IHATE_HOMEDEPOT
Default Acid staining concrete.

Did my first slab/countertop today. Easy Peasy. I was going to pass on it because I had never done it before but after researching it (youtube) I took it on and it was super simple. The condition of the concrete is very important.
One thing I was impressed by was that after it had sat a while you have to wash off any excess and after I had done an initial rinse,it was not coming off any more, and this was after only a couple of hours.

Good money making opportunity. I used Lithochrome
Bender (05-20-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View SouthFloridaPainter's Photo Album My Photos

any pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MerchantCircle :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SouthFloridaPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Congrats, glad to know you tried something new and it worked out! Always fun to experiment with new things.

Personally though, I tend to steer customers wanting 'concrete stain' away from acid staining now adays. I like the look, can't beat it, but* it has some draw backs.

1.) If it has any 'stains' previously, it will show up ugly. It could be from sandwhiches, burritos, whatever, even if it has been cleaned it will show up.

2.) VERY hard to touch up, if its even doable. If anyone drops anything on it or it fades, etc. and you have to patch (crack/gouge etc.) the stain won't ever blend away. It's like staining wood, it become a real pain to try and hide.

3.) Needs to be top-coated for protection. The solid H&C sealer can be tinted and is a stain/seal all in one.

4.) If anything needs 'refreshing' or cracks/gouges from whatever, put patch compound and float the solid color out on top. Blends like paint because of 1 color.

Those are the main points I bring across to my customers and try to get them to use solid color instead of acid.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I like the way it looks in some new commercial buildings I've seen. It's not perfect looking though, has 'character.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None