Advanced or Impervo Latex - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Advanced or Impervo Latex

We have used Impervo latex a bunch, Advanced not so much, maybe twice.

We have 11 doors, metal door casings and speedbase with a little crown to spray out. Right now we have an HVLP and Airless. I'm going to use the HVLP.
What is the biggest difference between these 2 products?
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

HVLP is to slow for production. Get a fine finish tip for you airless. Get a few different sizes so you can swap them out depending on what you are spraying.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,143 Times in 896 Posts
View ExcelPaintingCo's Photo Album My Photos

It's sounds like you're familiar with the Impervex, so I would tend to lean toward what I'm more comfortable with using. Advanced is going to behave a little more like an alkyd, with a longer open time. Neither likes to be sprayed too heavy so be careful not to overload your corners. I like to do a lighter first coat, then a little heavier on final coats. Runs can be either cut out, or wet sanded easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ExcelPaintingCo; 01-28-2015 at 07:15 PM..
ExcelPaintingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcelPaintingCo For This Useful Post:
deluxe (02-05-2015), PremierPaintingMa (01-28-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 100
View PremierPaintingMa's Photo Album My Photos

Hi cdpainting!
I would use Advance with the airless and i use 410 fine finish tip size for doors when spraying first coat do a light tack than little heavier second coat as ExcelPaintingCo recommended. You will love the Advance.
PremierPaintingMa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PremierPaintingMa For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (02-06-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 100
View PremierPaintingMa's Photo Album My Photos

Spayed with Advance Satin.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced or Impervo Latex-img_0040.jpg  

PremierPaintingMa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PremierPaintingMa For This Useful Post:
Bender (02-07-2015), ExcelPaintingCo (01-28-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

We have to use the HVLP our big sprayer is on another jobsite which is to far to go and grab right now. I know the HVLP will be a lot slower, other option is roller, these are flat doors no raised panels.

I have been reading on here about Advanced and figure it's time to try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
PremierPaintingMa (01-29-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #7

We went with Advanced. I have a new paint to spray. It flowed nicely (even with broken ribs), covered good in 2 coats. I think a third coat will make them look great. We did thin it a little. Air compressor set at 40 psi, gun set at 20-22 psi.

It did take a little longer with the HVLP, ours from the factory is around a 3" fan. I do need to check into different needles and settings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (02-06-2015), ExcelPaintingCo (01-30-2015), Lambrecht (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 796
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

With Advance, do you guys wait the full 18 hrs after your tack coat to spray the 2nd? I've never used Advance because of the insane recoat time listed.
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 Paint View Post
With Advance, do you guys wait the full 18 hrs after your tack coat to spray the 2nd? I've never used Advance because of the insane recoat time listed.
I have stacked the coats before not waiting the full 16-18 hours. I prefer to wait the full time between coats. Usually a coat each day. Advance is an awesome product and will feel like a true oil when cured. I have noticed that the few times that I have stacked the coats that the cured finish does not seem as slick feeling as when it is allowed to dry a day in between coats. Not much of a difference in feel and most customers would not know the difference but if you use it for a while you will be able to tell. The nice thing about advance is how nice it lays when brush, rolled, or sprayed and when minor touch-up is needed it can be accomplished without and flashing or obviousness.
804 Paint (02-03-2015), DrakeB (02-06-2015), Jmayspaint (02-03-2015), PremierPaintingMa (02-02-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 270
View Danahy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
We went with Advanced. I have a new paint to spray. It flowed nicely (even with broken ribs), covered good in 2 coats. I think a third coat will make them look great. We did thin it a little. Air compressor set at 40 psi, gun set at 20-22 psi.

It did take a little longer with the HVLP, ours from the factory is around a 3" fan. I do need to check into different needles and settings.

Regarding fan size with an hvlp. Check that the cap is tightened to perfectly flush with the tip of the needle you get the largest fan. Over tightening past flush reduces the fan, and sometimes distorts the fan shape.
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danahy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #11

Quote:

Tack coat in the morning, full coat at day's end, next day, light sand, tack and final coat.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danahy View Post
Regarding fan size with an hvlp. Check that the cap is tightened to perfectly flush with the tip of the needle you get the largest fan. Over tightening past flush reduces the fan, and sometimes distorts the fan shape.
Seems like every time I get used to the HVLP we stop using it for months and I forget stuff. We recently hooked up with a contractor who has tons of NC stuff so we will spray away. I may ask Santa for an early Christmas gift and go for an Air Assisted sprayer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
Danahy (02-03-2015), PremierPaintingMa (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Tack coat in the morning, full coat at day's end, next day, light sand, tack and final coat.
This place has the heat set at 85. We did our priming then tack coat, hit first coat, long day and doors sat for almost 10 hours so we hit a quick second coat.
I figured the inside temp being set so high, the doors right under a heat vent 10 hrs was like letting it sit over night at a lower temp.

The doors were not hung, now they are and we will spray a 3rd coat today.
PremierPaintingMa (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I used to not wait the full time but after a while I noticed that recoating it too fast seemed to retard the curing process and that the film didn't get as hard as I thought it should. Now I always wait the full time except maybe for something like crown molding where film hardness isn't that important I might rush it. It will get hard in a 3-4 days if you let each coat dry, if you rush it can take weeks. Even them I'm not sure it develops full hardness.

I have noticed in some of the literature they are giving a recoat time of 8 hours for the satin Advance and 16 for the higher sheens. This was on an Advance pamphlet I got recently, but last time I checked the tds it still said 16 hrs for satin.

It does seen like a PITA but it's just something that you have to account for. At least it doesn't stay tacky all day long like a traditional alkyd.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (02-05-2015), BhamPainter (02-07-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #15

I wouldn't chance 2 full coats in a day, except one tack coat (lightly dust coated) then 1 full coat. With 8 hrs separation.

Helps if u have other rooms to do while u wait between coats. Otherwise Advanced just wouldn't have a good enough ROI with such a long recoat time, otherwise I'd switch to cc or a Wb laq.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 796
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks guys. So it sounds like Advance is best used on jobs where the trim is an all-day job or you have plenty else to do on site and not for smaller jobs (or smaller jobs priced accordingly for downtime).

Being a spraying novice, I have to ask what the point of a 2nd tack coat is. I'd figure that hitting it with a tack coat and then a full coat (and a light sand) would be plenty to have the 2nd coat stick to, no? Are you finding the 2nd will run without a 2nd tack? And, if surface is primed, same thing? Here I'm figuring the paint will stick to the primer fine without a tack coat and that a tack coat would only be needed if you are coating a previously painted surface.

cd - why aren't two full coats sufficient for your doors?
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 804 Paint For This Useful Post:
epretot (02-08-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks guys. So it sounds like Advance is best used on jobs where the trim is an all-day job or you have plenty else to do on site and not for smaller jobs (or smaller jobs priced accordingly for downtime).

Being a spraying novice, I have to ask what the point of a 2nd tack coat is. I'd figure that hitting it with a tack coat and then a full coat (and a light sand) would be plenty to have the 2nd coat stick to, no? Are you finding the 2nd will run without a 2nd tack? And, if surface is primed, same thing? Here I'm figuring the paint will stick to the primer fine without a tack coat and that a tack coat would only be needed if you are coating a previously painted surface.

cd - why aren't two full coats sufficient for your doors?
We sprayed 2 coats while they were uninstalled. The carpenters didn't make a mess of them, they were extremely careful (thank god). I just didn't like the way they looked when standing off to the side. This place also has no lighting at all except out work lights (15 sets of double lights) and our HVLP guns filter was partially clogged so I figured since I had to hit the door frames might as well hit the doors again. I did price this job for 4 coats on the doors. At the time I had no idea what color they would be and wanted to make sure if they didn't cover good we had the extra $$$ included.

Doors are solid Birch
Zinzer oil based primer
Paint BM Ben Satin Decorators White.

Sanded in between coats.
804 Paint (02-07-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 764
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos

Heya CD, I'm assuming the job is done now. It came out nice I hope? Did you get a chance to check how hard it was without allowing the full recommended dry time?

Seems like a lot of people like the Advance other than the dry time. It used to sag pretty badly, but I think it may have been reformulated since then.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #19
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I Thought the whole purpose of a tack coat is you go back over it while it's tacky. Otherwise it's just a thin coat.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
PremierPaintingMa (02-07-2015), stelzerpaintinginc. (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodford View Post
Heya CD, I'm assuming the job is done now. It came out nice I hope? Did you get a chance to check how hard it was without allowing the full recommended dry time?

Seems like a lot of people like the Advance other than the dry time. It used to sag pretty badly, but I think it may have been reformulated since then.
We Hit the first 2 coats on Jan 30, the final coats this past Wednesday. I know it was hard enough for the carpenters to man handle and install (these doors are heavy). I'm going in today again and will check the hardness. So far it seems good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (02-07-2015), PremierPaintingMa (02-07-2015)

Tags
None