Another deck prep question - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Pete Martin the Painter
  • 1 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By Pete Martin the Painter
  • 1 Post By rosespainting

Old 03-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
View 123ozzie's Photo Album My Photos
Default Another deck prep question

I am restoring a deck and have committed to sanding the entire thing. Question is, after sanding down to raw material, do I have to "clean" or "brighten" with one of the various solvents on the market before staining it?

Thanks in advance for any responses
123ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 210
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123ozzie View Post
I am restoring a deck and have committed to sanding the entire thing. Question is, after sanding down to raw material, do I have to "clean" or "brighten" with one of the various solvents on the market before staining it?

I would clean it first, and if you are not putting solid on it, then brightener would be a good idea.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
123ozzie (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14
View 123ozzie's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Martin the Painter View Post
I would clean it first, and if you are not putting solid on it, then brightener would be a good idea.

Clean it with a product like BM cleaner before sanding or after.
123ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #4

If I was not clear, clean before you sand, and then use the brightener after you sand. You do not want to grind all of the dirt into the wood when you sand.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Martin the Painter For This Useful Post:
123ozzie (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

and to add, you need to use a brightener after you sand to remove any dead wood fibers or residual dirt from the pores/grain of the wood before you apply a finish. This is a commonly skipped step that is actually pretty critical to getting maximum adhesion/penetration from the finish.
cocomonkeynuts likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
123ozzie (03-26-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,850
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123ozzie View Post

My background is commercial painting so, admittedly, my deck experience is limited to just a few efforts. But, I'm curious as to your decision to 'sand down to raw material'. If you're intending to remove the existing finish, most any of the deck strippers on the market would be faster, cheaper and less of a PITA than sanding. I've found they work quite well- put them on, wash them off. You probably don't even need a powerwasher. Follow that with a deck wash to ensure that any stripper residue is removed. If you don't, it may eat away at the new finish when it is applied. You still may have to do a little sanding here and there but not as much as I *think* you were figuring on. I hope this helps and that I didn't read your situation wrong.
Fman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fman For This Useful Post:
123ozzie (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
My background is commercial painting so, admittedly, my deck experience is limited to just a few efforts. But, I'm curious as to your decision to 'sand down to raw material'. If you're intending to remove the existing finish, most any of the deck strippers on the market would be faster, cheaper and less of a PITA than sanding. I've found they work quite well- put them on, wash them off. You probably don't even need a powerwasher. Follow that with a deck wash to ensure that any stripper residue is removed. If you don't, it may eat away at the new finish when it is applied. You still may have to do a little sanding here and there but not as much as I *think* you were figuring on. I hope this helps and that I didn't read your situation wrong.
I did this method on an mahogany deck I did last fall. I still had to sand, but it took a fraction of the time it would have if I had just sanded.

Fman likes this.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 280
View rosespainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Martin the Painter View Post
I did this method on an mahogany deck I did last fall. I still had to sand, but it took a fraction of the time it would have if I had just sanded.

I agree with pete here... Every time I use stripper on a deck, I still have to sand. The stripper does do a lot of the work, and makes sanding much faster. sanding also helps even tone on the deck out if the stain was patchy, this is crucial for transparent stains going over spotty decks, otherwise you see all the spottiness. I also agree that you need to clean, and use brightener.
Fman likes this.
rosespainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,948
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

I restored a cedar deck last summer using Benjamin Moore products: Clean, Restore & Brighten. I finished it off with one coat of Sikkens Proluxe Cetol SRD SE.
That's a very labour intensive project to be sure!

Get yourself a stiff bristle floor brush from Home Depot. I like the one which has the brush bolted on. You need a stiff bristle brush to agitate the 3 chemicals. It's easier to remove it with a pressure washer at each step. The scrubbing is a good workout in 80 degree temp.

The last step after you brighten is to use a 1/4 sheet palm sander using 50 grit and 80 grit sandpaper. Use a leaf blower to remove the dust.

I'm not sure I want to do another one this summer. lol

Last edited by Mr Smith; 03-30-2018 at 10:46 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None