Application Of Heat Reflective Paint (ceiling) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 10-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
repaintpro

Rewards Points: 1,272
View Repaintpro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Application Of Heat Reflective Paint (ceiling)

Ok, this maybe one of the most stupid questions posted by a professional painter.........or it may be one some others may ask.........I'd say a little from column A and a little from Column B

I have a customer with a Gyprock (drywall) ceiling and no room in the roof cavity to insulate from the heat. They asked me if the heat reflective paint would work internally. Personally I don't know because I have never tried it. Are their products on the market that actually insulate and can be applied by roller. I cant spray as home is fully furnished.

I was going to tell them I could put the heat reflective paint on upside down on their ceiling so the reflective bit was facing upwards......but thought better of that little joke.

I think in Australia we may be lagging way behind in the usage of heat reflective paints so I thought i would just throw the question out there.
Repaintpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
repaintpro

Can a mod maybe move this to general chat...........it may be in the wrong area?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
View spotco2's Photo Album My Photos

Does the roof already have radiant barrier (RFL) already installed?

What type of construction is the house? Concrete with metal or tile roof? What color is the roof? If it's a dark color it will be much hotter than if it is painted a light color.

Are there any roof vents installed or a solar-powered roof-ventilator?

What kind of windows and coverings do they have in the home? Double panes with drapes or shades?

I've read and head a lot of really good things about radiant barrier paint from the manufacturers and insulation installers but never anything good from home owners.

These materials have been covered heavily over the years by heating and air contractors as well as insulation contractors as far as if they really work or not. The normal consensus is the paints only do a little bit of good and you have to concentrate more on the rest of the house to keep it cool.

As far as application goes, spraying is your best method with the best results. Most of these paints are very thick and difficult to apply with a roller without leaving tracks.
spotco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Heat reflective paints usually work only on exterior roofs as they reflect sunlight. White is a common color for reflective roofs. I've never heard of applying a reflective coating on the interior unless perhaps the room was surrounded by windows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
repaintpro

I thought this could not be done with any amount of success. I though maybe some paints overseas may have thermal properties rather than reflective but I guess not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Lockyer ph: 040 33 111 25

Tags
None