Average sf per gallon using HVLP turbine sprayer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 01-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 125
View Pierson Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Average sf per gallon using HVLP turbine sprayer

Just got a kitchen cabinet job, so a bought a Fuji Q4 Gold G-XPC gravity gun sprayer. I've never used one so I'm wondering how many gallons of primer and paint to get, I'll be using SW ProClassic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pierson Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierson Painting View Post
Just got a kitchen cabinet job, so a bought a Fuji Q4 Gold G-XPC gravity gun sprayer. I've never used one so I'm wondering how many gallons of primer and paint to get, I'll be using SW ProClassic. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I did a galley kitchen a few years ago. Went through a gallon and a half of primer, and a gallon and a half of finish
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 100
View PremierPaintingMa's Photo Album My Photos

I would start with 1 gallon each you could always buy more.
Don't forget you have to thin the product look at the thinning ratio.
PremierPaintingMa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PremierPaintingMa For This Useful Post:
kmp (01-03-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 122
View jw129943's Photo Album My Photos

How big is the kitchen?
jw129943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #5

Surface SF is around 1680sf, doors, drawer fronts and inside, shelves and inside cabinets, everything. I would spray 2coats primer and finish.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

Just a suggestion spray 1 coat primer with your Fugi and then try 1 coat with your airless.

Having to work with the cup and hose has a tendency to give the operator more fatigue than just a hose and airless gun.

Sounds like a large cabinet job considering it will be over 6K ft after 4 coats of paint.

I agree with the OP a gallon at a time I'm just spit balling but I'll say 4-6 gallons total.
robladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

I picked up 2gal of each, will see how it goes. I picked up the HVLP so I wouldn't have so much over spray since the customers are living there and I might have to do it in sections because she has so much crap in the cabinets.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I picked up 2gal of each, will see how it goes. I picked up the HVLP so I wouldn't have so much over spray since the customers are living there and I might have to do it in sections because she has so much crap in the cabinets.

This sounds like a nightmare in the making.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
cardwizzard (01-11-2015), Delta Painting (01-11-2015), PremierPaintingMa (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

My next sales pitch would be your favorite take out, delivery & dining out restaurants, hole in wall dive bars in the area.

Just PM Richmond he'll know where there at. Lol
robladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 100
View PremierPaintingMa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
If your not painting the inside of the cabinets just tape it all off and spray no need to remove stuff. Give her a gift certificates to a cheap take out.
PremierPaintingMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 270
View Danahy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Average sf per gallon using HVLP turbine sprayer

The gravity cup gun will be a pita to maneuver inside the cabinets, that's a lot of weight to hold at a lot of weird angles. Since the inside will be the hard part I'd almost think using the airless inside then swap to the cup gun for all the exterior parts for that smooth finish. I'm not an airless pro so get some more opinions on that. My thinking is that a lot of the overspray from the airless would be contained inside, and the gun can fully rotate for all the angles.

The good news is you'll save time not having to mask all the openings. If you include 2 coats of paint on the kitchen walls you could save some of the time and hassle on some of the exterior masking as well. What is your choice of primer? And what is the existing finish? Are you taking the doors offsite?

Get her to put all her crap in laundry baskets or totes with lids in another room. Take out the fridge and stove if possible. Setup a zip wall, cover the floors, counter and tiles. Run a filter covered fan (or 2) to remove fogging and away you go.

Last edited by Danahy; 01-04-2015 at 01:59 PM..
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danahy For This Useful Post:
Gough (01-04-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

Making headway, she is getting the stuff out slowly but surely. She does want insides painted because some of the cabinet doors have glass. Wall are not getting painted, but there is crown molding that is.

The house has settled, so I'm having to sand door top and bottom edges and adjust drawer tracks so everything fits physically and visually into the skewed cabinet frames. Now she wants new hinges, which will change hole location. I told her she needs to get those before I do any painting so I can relocate new hinges and fill old holes.

They have heated garage, so thats where I am setup. Thank god for that because as of now, I don't have a heated off site location and its been single digit temps w/25 mph winds. On the plus side, this is a time and materials job. The more stuff she throws at me, the more she pays.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
RH

Rewards Points: 5,712
Thanked 15,413 Times in 8,085 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I also have a Fiji Q4.

Make sure you practice a fair amount on scrap. When using that particular HVLP and spraying latex it can be a real challenge getting the product thinned enough to spray well AND cover enough at the same time. Personally, I would use my airless for this over my Fuji.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None