Benny Moore Exterior Aura.. what do you think? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View jonradcliffe's Photo Album My Photos
Default Benny Moore Exterior Aura.. what do you think?

I'm just wondering if anyone has used Benny Moore's new exterior Aura paint. The store in my area where I typically buy Ben Moore paint has been talking it up for a couple of months. I finally used it and absolutely despise it.

First of all, the flat siding color flashed like crazy and at 60 bucks a gallon retail, I should be able to sit in a lawn chair and watch it apply itself. This stuff is supposed to dry fast and I know they make that extender for it, but I started on a small part of the house to get warmed up. 3 hours later I could visibly see wet paint on that same siding.

Second, after spraying the siding I do what I always do and brush out the trim on the house. There really wasnt much since most of the windows were new and therefour clad on the outside, so I figured that I could get away with spending half a day on it. I wound up spending more time chasing the runs and sags on the stuff I had fixed 3 times already.

NEXT! one coat coverage??? NO WAY! Using the semi-gloss formula, I strugled to get a cream colored paint to cover..well, cream. I ended up 2 coating all of the cream color, and 3 coating everything that wasnt. Doors I sprayed with my HVLP took 3 as well. My brush technique has not changed even slightly from any other job I have done this summer.

I realize this might seem like a rant, but that was my first and last experience with Benny Moore Exterior Aura paint. For my time, labor, and money, I'll stick with Duration.

I would love to hear thoughts/experiences of anyone else who has used it!
Thanks guys

Last edited by jonradcliffe; 10-19-2008 at 11:21 PM..
jonradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

try accolades or manor hall timeless. both way better paints and you can get em for like 7 dollars a gallon less than duration. I feel that they have de formulated durations and its pretty mediocre now.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Aura doesn't guarantee one coat coverage... I agree with some that you say I have used the flat also and thought it flashed too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonradcliffe View Post
NEXT! one coat coverage??? NO WAY! Using the semi-gloss formula, I strugled to get a cream colored paint to cover..well, cream. I ended up 2 coating all of the cream color, and 3 coating everything that wasnt. Doors I sprayed with my HVLP took 3 as well. My brush technique has not changed even slightly from any other job I have done this summer.

I always use a satin/low lustre sheen and the Aura is now my prefered paint for any darker colors. I will still use the Duration (Ext) for whites/creams because of the mil thickness but you can't beat the coverage and appearance of the Aura. My experience has been completely opposite from yours.

I posted this pic on another thread. This is one coat Aura covering a vinyl replacement board.
Attached Thumbnails
Benny Moore Exterior Aura.. what do you think?-09212008-015-large-.jpg  

Benny Moore Exterior Aura.. what do you think?-09212008-014-large-.jpg  

Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

At 60 buck a gal it better make a terd look like heavenly pearly gates. Hell even at 30 bucks it better at least sing to me. Benny is over rated and overpriced.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Lets face it the days of 20$ or even 30$ a gallon is soon to be gone (for quality that is)... If your paying 60$ for Aura your paying retail...

SW is over rated in opinion... but we can argue crap like that forever and it will never change one mind..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View PinnacleResidential's Photo Album My Photos

Timeless covers better and applies easier than Duration or Aura and costs less than both - plus, you can give your customers that warm fuzzy feeling by telling them about the "Lifetime Warranty".
PinnacleResidential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleResidential View Post
Timeless covers better and applies easier than Duration or Aura and costs less than both - plus, you can give your customers that warm fuzzy feeling by telling them about the "Lifetime Warranty".
aura, duration, even resilience all offer life time warranties.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Was given 2 gallons of Muralo's new "Endure" exterior paint to try out. Thicker and better coverage than "Duration" (supposedly) and a lifetime warranty too.

Can't wait to try it.

http://www.muralo.net/products/endure_exterior_7992.php

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None