best choice for foundation coating - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 06-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos
Default best choice for foundation coating

I am doing up an estimate for a customer that wants everything from his gutters to his foundation painted. His siding is a charcoal blue. He wants his foundation to be the same color. The foundation is like 1.5 feet exposed down to grass on one side, 2 feet exposed to landscaping gravel on the other two (front is brick). I suggested using that rubberized foundation coating (it only comes in black) because it would be inexpensive and durable solution that could be applied with a roller. It is rated for below grade, but I coated a wall a couple years ago that got filled in around and there is like 1.5 feet exposed and it is doing great, still looks new.

I was also thinking that if he wants the color more exact to the color of his siding that we could stain it. Would this be a poor choice of application for concrete stain? I am imagining that this would be much more expensive than just coating it with the foundation coating. I was thinking that painting it would be a poor choice as it may start a quagmire of endless peeling paint problems as the below grade concrete soaks up moisture and blisters off the paint above ground.

So what do the rest of you think? Stain it, Coat it, Paint it, or is there some other solution I am missing, or is there a paintable foundation coating that anyone knows of?
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
chief bucket carrier

Rewards Points: 250
View EricTheHandyman's Photo Album My Photos

I've had good luck with Flexcoat by Styro Industries. It's stocked at my lumberyard in gray and white, colors available by special order, manufacturer says you can paint over it but I've never had to.

www.styro.net

good luck, Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EricTheHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

H&C at sherwin williams .....had good luck with it
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,656
Thanked 4,390 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Prep the foundation well, and apply a 100% acrylic masonry primer. Follow up with acrylic top coat. A couple local exteriors I've done for family still look good after 10 years.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None