Best covering white paint ? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145
  • 1 Post By Theoriginalpacman
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith

Old 09-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
misha

Rewards Points: 56
View mukhoeb's Photo Album My Photos
Default Best covering white paint ?

Trying to cover light gray - green paint with white flat - cannot find any that covers in 2 coats . Tried Behr - sorry guys only because it is the whitest and cheap - had to put 3 coats . TriedSuper paint - 2 times roll 3 times cut to cover , same with Duration . Any recommendations - we have everything here - BM , Sherwin - Williams even MCcormick .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've come here with nothing and still have a lot of it left .
Wash D.C AREA
mukhoeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 824
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

PPG Manor Hall might do the trick Or Para Ultra Hybrid.

jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jennifertemple For This Useful Post:
mukhoeb (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,820
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Wrong tier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukhoeb View Post
Trying to cover light gray - green paint with white flat - cannot find any that covers in 2 coats . Tried Behr - sorry guys only because it is the whitest and cheap - had to put 3 coats . TriedSuper paint - 2 times roll 3 times cut to cover , same with Duration . Any recommendations - we have everything here - BM , Sherwin - Williams even MCcormick .
Behr has 5 tiers of paint. If you say you used a cheap tier I am guessing that you did not use the Premium Plus Ultra. Try the PPU in their ceiling white paint using a Wooster 5/16" micro plush roller. I think you will be very pleased with the results. It is washable as well. I once painted a ceiling 2 coats with this, then started cutting in the crown molding with fire engines red semi-gloss. After brushing out about 5 feet I saw that I had spattered some on the newly painted ceiling. I got a wet paper towel to get most of the red paint off before touching the ceiling up, but was surprised to discover that the red paint completely disappeared just using the wet paper towel.

futtyos

Last edited by futtyos; 09-16-2019 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: need to add
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to futtyos For This Useful Post:
mukhoeb (09-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,600
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Duration, Manor hall, or Aura is gonna be your best bet. Or, if you want to go Behr, go with their Marquee. Those are about the highest covereing paints you can get.

All in all, just prepare for a three coater no matter what. Theres no escaping it sometimes..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
mukhoeb (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,440
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Regal flat, get it in the stock white if your store carries it then have them add 4oz tio2.

@Woodco Aura doesn't come in flat yet, only available in a few testing markets at the moment.
@futtyos Microfiber puts on a thinner coat, not good for when you need coverage

Prodooz ftp 1/2" or 3/8"
futtyos, Woodco and vwbowman like this.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 09-16-2019 at 08:57 AM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
mukhoeb (09-16-2019), NACE (09-17-2019), Woodco (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #6

View Theoriginalpacman's Photo Album My Photos

You are in Maryland? Use California ultra and be done with it.
Theoriginalpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Theoriginalpacman For This Useful Post:
mukhoeb (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,022
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
Regal flat, get it in the stock white if your store carries it then have them add 4oz tio2.

@Woodco Aura doesn't come in flat yet, only available in a few testing markets at the moment.
@futtyos Microfiber puts on a thinner coat, not good for when you need coverage

Prodooz ftp 1/2" or 3/8"
I just used the Regal eggshell with good results over some dark colors It took 3 coats over very dark and two coats over medium dark. The color was Cloud White which is almost a pure white. I'm sure pure white with Ti02 added would cover better. By the same token I recently used the same cloud white color using Ultra Spec 500 low sheen and it covered like crap. I quickly trashed that paint for a bit of a loss in profit, and went back to Regal.

I think Aura is your best bet for pure whites. On the same job the customer had a full gallon of Aura in Cloud White leftover and I diluted it about 20% with water and extender and it still managed to cover in 2 coats. Luckily I only needed the one gallon.
vwbowman likes this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 09-16-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
mukhoeb (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,440
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
I just used the Regal eggshell with good results over some dark colors It took 3 coats over very dark and two coats over medium dark. The color was Cloud White which is almost a pure white. I'm sure pure white with Ti02 added would cover better. By the same token I recently used the same cloud white color using Ultra Spec 500 low sheen and it covered like crap. I quickly trashed that paint for a bit of a loss in profit, and went back to Regal.

I think Aura is your best bet for pure whites. On the same job the customer had a full gallon of Aura in Cloud White leftover and I diluted it about 20% with water and extender and it still managed to cover in 2 coats. Luckily I only needed the one gallon.

Ultraspec has an alternative 0X base to use for certain whites to achieve better coverage. Use that if possible in ultraspec. Or just use ben or regal
Woodco likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
mukhoeb (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #9
misha

Rewards Points: 56
View mukhoeb's Photo Album My Photos

Thank you for your recommendations . Went with Super paint 3 coats . did not want to experiment anymore , did try Marque and Duration - 3 coats anyway . tried HD paint only because it is whitest white - customer wanted that . i am only complaining because i did not bid 3 coats and getting to old to jump up and down ladders for extra coat . No more whining - i chose this profession and still love it .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've come here with nothing and still have a lot of it left .
Wash D.C AREA
mukhoeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,600
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Now you know.... 3 coats.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:19 AM   #11
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,167
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Either that or next time talk your client into something with a little colour in it. Straight white on walls!? I just did a whole house with deep reds and greens. Was thinking I would have the same problem. 2 Coats Aura Matt in a very light griege colour covered great. I'm sure Regal would have been fine also, but wanted to make sure. Aura is the real deal for colour lock.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,700
Thanked 4,595 Times in 2,551 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

I've seen regal eggshell leave hat banding in whites with very little colourant. I always find bright whites on walls to be a gamble.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 83
View jr.sr. painting's Photo Album My Photos

Did you try 1 coat white primer one coat of flat white. That will be your best chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jr.sr. painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
Designer-a-go-go

Rewards Points: 2
View Leapa's Photo Album My Photos

Sico Muse in Pure White and Soft Matte. Superb coverage
Leapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:08 AM   #15

View Hybridglitch's Photo Album My Photos

Ben More
Hybridglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 214
View jeffnc's Photo Album My Photos

To be honest, since no one has mentioned it, I'm suspecting user technique as one of the problems here. If it's taking 3 coats of SuperPaint, which is a relatively high solids and high hiding paint, then I think you're simply not putting it on thick enough. This is very common. You have to know how to roll on a coat of paint. You should be getting in the range of 325-340 sf/gallon, and I suspect you're not getting that. Especially your comment about needing an extra coat of cutting in suggests that your brush might not be appropriate, or again, your technique.

In terms of highest hiding, probably the highest I've used so far is PPG Timeless. I have not tried Behr Marquee yet. However even Valspar Simplicity has covered very well for me and I'd be very surprised if that didn't go on in 2 coats. Timeless has gone on in one coat for me several times, and frankly so has Simplicity on at least 2 occasions I can recall.

We have to compare apples to apples. I once used Sherwin Williams Color Prime system to prime the walls the correct shade of gray before painting with Duration in a reddish color (not a particularly clear red either) and it still took 3 coats on top of that (so I count that as 4 coats). However it's not fair to compare because it's not a white base. The white bases give the paint the best chance to cover, because that one is going to contain the highest amounts of solids in the form of titanium dioxide.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 214
View jeffnc's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.sr. painting View Post
Did you try 1 coat white primer one coat of flat white. That will be your best chance

Your best chance of getting 2 coats is using the exact same paint tint twice in a row. Any other combination reduces your chances, even if slightly.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #18

View Theoriginalpacman's Photo Album My Photos

Haaaa haaaaa! Superpaint! That's a good one! You should be on Kimmel.
Theoriginalpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,022
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

I always quote three coats of white. I haven't found a paint yet that will cover perfectly in two coats. It's especially noticeable with the cutting in.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:40 PM   #20
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

PPG diamond while you were at home depot.
mug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None