Best method to remove stain from a deck??? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 04-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View TJ's Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Best method to remove stain from a deck???

Customer asked if we could remove the stain/water sealer from her deck. Another contractor did the work 2 years prior and it looks very uneven. Should we sand it off or is there any kind of stripper to apply?? tks
TJ's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View MDRocket's Photo Album My Photos

Someone on here may no of a product, but it looks like alot of sanding and scraping in your future.

I personaly have never had the luck of having to do this on a deck. Few weeks back had to remove stain and polly on some interior also the paint that was sealed on it from the previous painters cut line. Used scrapers and sandpaper to remove it all.
MDRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Well if its a semi trans or translucent finish on there now most strippers in the gallon jugs will work. Spray it on with a garden prayer and let sit. Agitate a little with a stiff brush and rinse with low pressure.

Sometimes wetting the deck first prior to spraying the stripper helps as well to keep it wet. When done rinsing apply a brightener to neutralize the deck (stripper). Make sure you let completely dry prior to finishing if your using oil anyways.

If you feel the grain has risen a little after stripping then a light sanding may be in order.

Decks can be tricky have you done them before? If you do it wrong it won't be fun to fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

A product like FLOODPRO® STRIPPER/CLEANER is good for this or if you can get your hands on POWERLIFT® DECK SEALER REMOVER. Works easier than you might think. Stripping deck finishes is not the same as stripping paints.

You can brighten it back up too if needed using FLOOD® WOOD CLEANER PREMIUM WOOD CLEANER AND BRIGHTENER or similar product.

***Spend a minute reading up on these products before you buy, Flood Co. recently changed up a bunch of their stuff. Did away with some, merged others and some new.
jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

I have had no problem with Sherwin Williams product. The deck in the picture is freshly revived after stripping:

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #6

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

If I were you, I would find out what they put on it before, if they used anything with silicone in it you will have a tough time getting that off, and you really have to get that stuff off.If the can says waterproofing on if it was most likely in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

SW products.
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
The Lurker

I bet if you look at the ingredient list in most retail sold gallon jugs the stuff is the same. The only time your getting better product are buying them directly thru a chemical distributor... IMO

Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

I don't think any one here is pushing "better product". We are all responding to the OP with our experience.

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
chief bucket carrier

Rewards Points: 250
View EricTheHandyman's Photo Album My Photos

In my experience, the stripper removes MOST of the stain but not all of it, you still have some scraping/sanding to do when you're done. It can be very tedious, but worth it when the client thinks you built them a new deck instead of uncovering the old one!

EricTheHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #11

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

wolman's deckstrip
nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 266
View tntpainting's Photo Album My Photos

swp deckscapes or b moore products i have found work the best but make sure you get it all off before restaing or it will be uneven
tntpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10
View cande's Photo Album My Photos

HD-80 is a stripper for heavy duty work. Comes dry and you mix it to the strength you feel you need. Google it - it's available online.
cande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
The Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cande View Post
HD-80 is a stripper for heavy duty work. Comes dry and you mix it to the strength you feel you need. Google it - it's available online.
that's what we use... its works!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10
View PeteL's Photo Album My Photos

F18 followed with oxalic acid to brighten/neutralize also works well. Pressuretek.com sells both
PeteL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 500
View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteL View Post
F18 followed with oxalic acid to brighten/neutralize also works well. Pressuretek.com sells both

Pete, your website is great! Reminds me of spaceballs.

We use the same chems.

Sodium hydroxide is the main chem in most exterior oil based deck strippers. We need a smiley stripper logo! Maybe MAK's bananna jerk smiley will do??

painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None