Best patching material for a wood-grain fiberglass door. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View Tamra2hu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Best patching material for a wood-grain fiberglass door.

Hi,
Is anyone able to advise me on what the best patching material would be for a crack in a fiberglass entry door? My client is concerned that a patch may melt, as the door is in direct sunlight some of the day.
Thank you!
Tamra2hu is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 696
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

I would think a color-matched caulk would hold up well if the crack is not too big. You could touch-up/colorize it with some gel stain if needed to match. I would be interested in seeing some pictures.

Fiberglass doors are troublesome (cannot be sanded, re-staining rarely blends well, stripping is not recommended by most manufactures).
I always make a disclaimer before working on them, as the results are unpredictable.

What is the condition of the varnish? Most HO's wait too long to re-varnish, until the Clear is failing. They are difficult to restore.

Last edited by Holland; 05-24-2019 at 06:27 AM..
Holland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4
View Tamra2hu's Photo Album My Photos

Hi! Thanks for the response. We ended up using Bondo to fill the crack, and we did sand, as, unfortunately, the grain of the wood wasn't pristine, after many years of unprofessional paint/repair jobs. We then used a bit of latex caulk in the thinner cracked areas.

The door does look pretty nice now, but I'm sure the crack is going to reappear.

Speaking of fiberglass doors, do you have experience refinishing them? I've done a few over the years, and I've heard/read that priming over the currently faded stain, then re-staining, produces a good result. I'm not crazy about stripping the door...
Tamra2hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,188
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

They make a primer that takes stain. I dont know about its bonding properties, so you might need a bond coat first. You can make anything look stained with this stuff.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None