BIN & latex with the same sprayer? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 3 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By PACman

Old 05-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View rtmunro's Photo Album My Photos
Default BIN & latex with the same sprayer?

I recently bought a Graco 360VSP to prime & paint wainscoting and crown I'm installing. I thought it could also be useful for painting the stained/varnished doors throughout my house. Priming with BIN, then switch to latex for the top coats.

My research indicates it is a bad idea to spray BIN regardless of how well you clean in between. Is that concern overblown? I've got a lot of experience with BIN. I love the idea of spraying BIN but I'd hate to ruin my spray gun, or my finish trying to switch between BIN and Latex.
rtmunro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,524
Thanked 9,578 Times in 5,438 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmunro View Post
I recently bought a Graco 360VSP to prime & paint wainscoting and crown I'm installing. I thought it could also be useful for painting the stained/varnished doors throughout my house. Priming with BIN, then switch to latex for the top coats.

My research indicates it is a bad idea to spray BIN regardless of how well you clean in between. Is that concern overblown? I've got a lot of experience with BIN. I love the idea of spraying BIN but I'd hate to ruin my spray gun, or my finish trying to switch between BIN and Latex.

Ideally you don't mix solvents. Whether they be organic, or in organic. But painters will apply both out of the same pump. It just requires a lot of thorough cleaning.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
rtmunro (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,188
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

That thing is a hell of a lot easier to clean than an airless, so I wouldnt worry about it.

However, I bought one of those peices of junk, and I know for a fact it will not spray either product worth a crap. The BIN will be running down the wall, I'll tell you that much.
CApainter and finishesbykevyn like this.

Last edited by Woodco; 05-15-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,524
Thanked 9,578 Times in 5,438 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
That thing is a hell of a lot easier to clean than an airless, so I wouldnt worry about it.

However, I bought one of those peices of junk, and I know for a fact it will not spray either product worth a crap. The BIN will be running down the wall, I'll tell you that much.
I didn't even know it was one of those convenient hand jobs. I agree, that would be less trouble to clean.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 253
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Why not just buy a real airless sprayer? Also, be careful spraying BIN. That stuff is super explosive and some of those handheld units don't recommend non latex products. .Could you just use a latex primer?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
PACman likes this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,188
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Why not just buy a real airless sprayer? Also, be careful spraying BIN. That stuff is super explosive and some of those handheld units don't recommend non latex products. .Could you just use a latex primer?

Thats good to know. I can repurpose the one I bought into a makeshift flame thrower!
finishesbykevyn, PACman and AlWood like this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 66
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

BIN and latex have compatible cleaning solvents. Just be sure you rinse it well with clean water before you switch to latex. But i agree that it is more of a DIY sprayer. Don't expect to get a lot of use out of it.
Mr Smith likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 4
View rtmunro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post

ah, you're right. the 360VSP is not compatible with flammable materials.

I'd trust a latex primer on the wainscoting and crown but I've had no luck with latex on stained/varnished wood (any suggestions?). I may need to re-evaluate my plan. based on Woodco's review and a few others I've found online, I'm thinking I should return this gun and go a different route.

Last edited by rtmunro; 05-16-2019 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: update
rtmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 253
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmunro View Post
ah, you're right. the 360VSP is not compatible with flammable materials.

I'd trust a latex primer on the wainscoting and crown but I've had no luck with latex on stained/varnished wood (any suggestions?). I may need to re-evaluate my plan. based on Woodco's review and a few others I've found online, I'm thinking I should return this gun and go a different route.
Just brush and roll your bin then spray your top coats.. But honestly if your a contractor who will be spraying, your going to want something better than that unit..they're heavy and awkward..

finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 14
View mdZX's Photo Album My Photos

Valspar has their Bonding Primer that I think works well if you're looking for a good primer? Its thick like pudding but can be diluted a bit to allow for spraying. Directions are on the can. Cleans up with water like latex. Cost about $25 gallon. Says will even stick to glass.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
mdZX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None