BM 508 too thin? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 07-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,832
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default BM 508 too thin?

I just painted a large ceiling (7' wide at one end, 19' at the other and 28 feet deep) with 508. I had primed it with 123 to see the dings, then pointed it up twice, then Gardzed it (I applied extra Gardz wherever I saw flashing) and let dry. I cut the 508 in twice with a 4" mini, then let set overnight.

Next day I rolled a coat of 508 onto ceiling. It dried very uniformly, but did not cover in one coat. The paint I used was from a can half full, which I shook up by hand before pouring into tray. Towards the end I had to break open the 2nd can and pour a little bit in to finish the ceiling. Afterwards I put the roller into a zip lock baggy and returned the paint in the pan to the can, which filled almost to the brim. The paint had been sitting on site for about a month.

After a couple of hours I rolled a second coat onto the ceiling. Since the 2nd can was completely full, I did not shake it by hand, nor did I stir it with a stick (the directions, which I read later, said to stir the paint thoroughly before and during painting, so I am now in the same club as Woodco is with Gardz - karma!), I just poured the 508 right into the pan and started rolling. The paint was now very drippy and was spattering more than normal. I had to hurry to get the roller from the pan to the ceiling before paint would start dripping down like a roller cover overloaded with Gardz! I have never had this happen before with 508 or any other paint I can think of, just Gardz.

I found that the 2nd coat left uneven roller lines where the paint had started to dry before I could roll the next section.

I was using a 5/16" Wooster Microplush. I realize that this is too short of a nap for ceilings, but the GC originally had me doing everything, walls and ceilings, with a 1/4" nap. I at least was able to bump him up to the 5/16".

I realize that I did not read and follow the directions to stir the paint before and during. Most of the time when I go to stir paint, there is no settling on the bottom and I end up thinking that I did not even need to stir it. Not anymore!

I also realize that I need to use a thicker nap roller. I discussed all this with the BM clerk. He sold me a 1/2" corona cover that he said was the densest cover he had. I bought a new gallon of 508 and left for the job. As I was carrying the can of 508 I could feel it moving up and down as well as hear it making the metal can make a popping noise every time I raised and lowered the can, leading me to believe that the paint inside must be thinner than usual.

When I got to the job, I opened the can up and went to stir it to check out the consistency. It was VERY THIN compared to what I remember other 508 jobs had been. I had the BM Extender and was ready to add a cup to the gallon to extend the dry time, but I told the GC that I thought that the paint was too thin and that I thought I was just going to get a rerun of what I had experienced rolling the 2nd coat a few days earlier.

Is it possible that I got some bad 508? Is ceiling paint supposed to be thin?
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,766
Thanked 4,602 Times in 2,556 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

508 is definitely thicker ceiling paint than most I've ever used. If that stuff had been sitting onsite for a month, I'd consider taking it back to the shop and have them reshake it for you. I have to imagine that might have something to do with the problem you had. I've never had a can of 508 that I thought was thin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
jr.sr. painting (08-04-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,832
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Thick or thin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
508 is definitely thicker ceiling paint than most I've ever used. If that stuff had been sitting onsite for a month, I'd consider taking it back to the shop and have them reshake it for you. I have to imagine that might have something to do with the problem you had. I've never had a can of 508 that I thought was thin.
I thought I remember it being thicker. The GC bought all the paint about a month ago at a chain paint store. The paint I bought a few days ago was from the same chain, just different town. Both batches seem really thin, so much so that if I had added water to make it that thin, I would hvae thought I added too much.

The paint I just bought was shaken thoroughly. When I got to the site, I opened the can up and stirred it with a stick, scraping the bottom and bringing it up to see if any sludge was on it. None. Just thin paint!

Wildbill7145, I appreciate you observation. I thought I was having some mental problems. I have known that the 508 will spatter, but dripping off the roller is not something I have experienced until the 2nd coat on this last ceiling I rolled.

I am of a mind to find a white primer that matches the 508 so I can make sure the ceiling is white-white first, then roll only one coat of 508 on. I never seem to be able to get the 2nd coat on as good as the first.

I gues I will have to take the gallon I bought back to the store and see what is going on.

futtyos

Last edited by futtyos; 07-30-2017 at 10:13 PM..
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None